PDA

View Full Version : need help, stripped screw

boomerfoxtrot
10-07-2002, 01:14 PM
I need help, I have a stripped screw on the bottom of on of my grips, holding a drop on. I'm almost to the point of taking a hacksaw to the damned thing.

DOES ANYONE have any GOOD ways of getting a stripped hex screw out????

cphilip
10-07-2002, 01:26 PM
two Home remedy ways

Super glue or even Epoxy an old 1/8 hex wrench in and wait till its dry then twist it out. Variation is to try a brand new one with sharper edges on it. Tap it in and try.

Cut a slot across the top of it. Carefull! and take it out with a regualr screw driver

Screw extractors and left turning drill bits also if you want to be professional about it

boomerfoxtrot
10-07-2002, 01:32 PM
man... why didn't I think about the screw driver thing...

thanks!!!!

I knew there was an easy way to do it... I just wasn't thinking hard enough...

kutter
10-07-2002, 01:35 PM
All of Phil's suggestions were good ones, I would personally try the hex wrench and put it in with some strong epoxy such as balzona(sp), thats what we call it in the military anyway. You will ruin the wrench but it's a small price to pay.

Other methods require a certain amount of expertise and equipment, and should not probably be taken on too lightly.

cphilip
10-07-2002, 01:45 PM
Well me too Kutter thats my first choice. The slot cutting can be a little risky if you slip with the dremmel! Tape everything off good and be carefull if you do that one.

KayleAGD
10-07-2002, 02:23 PM
If those idea's fail.

Take a drill bit the same size as the screw and drill into the hex until the head comes off. Then remove the drop and use a pair of pliers to unscrew the bolts.

Kayle

cphilip
10-07-2002, 02:41 PM
Thats a dam good one! Forgot that one...

LawFox32
10-07-2002, 03:18 PM
if it is only one screw then you can turn the screw out by rotating the drop, that what I do if i strip a screw

hardr0ck68
10-07-2002, 03:54 PM
hehe my favorite is to find a metric size just a hair bigger, pound the silly thing into the ruined screw. Once ist wedged in there nice and good everything should come apart easy!! hey you ruin a tool, but its the only use i have for metric anyways :p

Kevmaster
10-07-2002, 08:35 PM
i take the make it a flathead approach