PDA

View Full Version : Freak q's...

spazzed
10-08-2002, 08:09 PM
I've been wondering for a while now, exactly how effective are the freak kits? The insert's what, 3"? Would the ball not start bouncing around in the remainder of the barrel, thereby nullifying the insert?

<---confused.

oldsoldier
10-08-2002, 08:15 PM
Freak inserts are 5". And no, they dont "bounce around the barrel". They fly straight through the front half....dont actually touch it.

EDIT; Your Freak barrel, no matter how long the tip is, is only truly 5" long. the tip part is just dressing.

spazzed
10-08-2002, 08:22 PM
Let me correct myself a bit, I don't mean "bounce around" in the literal sense. I'm talking about "Zebra stripes" where the ball only touches @ 2 points... Like I said before, even after the 5" insert, would it not cause the "zebra stripes"? So what good would that do?

Spray Painter
10-08-2002, 08:27 PM
so i could buy a freak back with inserts and play just like that?:D

oldsoldier
10-08-2002, 08:28 PM
I gotcha...but I dont think it touches the sides of the tip at all. I may be wrong...I never actually tried the powder thing. But, from what I've read, and the logic of it, the tip is large enough in diameter to allow the ball to pass free by it, without touching it at all.

Kevmaster
10-08-2002, 08:49 PM
that would be a fun test wouldnt it?

and i think the only problem is that the insert would slip out....

spazzed
10-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks so far, anyone else have any concrete evidence on this?

TNS2k2
10-08-2002, 09:04 PM
The Angel Guy used to have little tiny freak tips, that were like and Inch and had no porting. I saw some pics once but i cant find them now.

blnk162
10-09-2002, 12:19 AM
Its a step-bore barrel guys....just like dye's, jt's, lapco, jj 2 piece......same effet, just different bore sizes

spazzed
10-09-2002, 12:31 AM
I know that much (don't mean to sound like a butt).

So far no-ones answered my question.

Question- now in a new, friendlier, tastier variety!

Since the freak is a step-bore (not just the freak, but all step-bores), doesn't that increase in internal barrel diameter nullify any accuracy/efficiency gains made by a good paint-barrel match? Or is it just goind too freakin' fast for it to matter?

Miscue, Sam, TK, Black, Jon anyone??

blnk162
10-09-2002, 12:33 AM
ive never cared for the sciense behind it....if it works for me and and i can blast peoples heads off i use it.

ogre55
10-09-2002, 08:26 AM
An interesting question and possibly one for the Technical Roundtable, unless it has been tested elsewhere.

Ogre

Pand0ra
10-09-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by spazzed
I know that much (don't mean to sound like a butt).

So far no-ones answered my question.

Question- now in a new, friendlier, tastier variety!

Since the freak is a step-bore (not just the freak, but all step-bores), doesn't that increase in internal barrel diameter nullify any accuracy/efficiency gains made by a good paint-barrel match? Or is it just goind too freakin' fast for it to matter?

Miscue, Sam, TK, Black, Jon anyone??

Yes and no. The main benefit of the insert is a very good stability of the velocity. You also get a good efficiency due to the good fit of the paint.

The biggest part of the front piece is ported, so it doesn't influence the efficiency very much.
I'm 90% sure the paintball touch the barrel over the whole travel. I don't see how a ball could stay centered in the barrel over 16 inchs of travel.

I tried once to play with just the back of the freak. It works, but the barrel is very loud (if you can call this a barrel).

@++

Edited to correct a mistake with the porting.

blnk162
10-09-2002, 11:26 AM
Actally freaks are the most inefficent barrels out there...As much as you would think they'd be the best....I blieve lapcos are the mot effient over all...

Originally posted by Pand0ra

Yes and no. The main benefit of the insert is a very good stability of the velocity. You also get a good efficiency due to the good fit of the paint.

The biggest part of the front piece is ported, so it doesn't influence the efficiency very much.
I'm 90% sure the paintball touch the barrel over the whole travel. I don't see how a ball could stay centered in the barrel over 16 inchs of travel.

I tried once to play with just the back of the freak. It works, but the barrel is very loud (if you can call this a barrel).

@++

Edited to correct a mistake with the porting.

*ArKfEaR*
10-09-2002, 11:27 AM
dont even ask just get a freak :)

no questions needed.

Phil
10-09-2002, 12:09 PM
Barrel 101

Step bore barrels:
The propellant accelerates the paintball from zero to the set point (we will call it 300 for s&g). The majority of the acceleration takes place in the tight bore section at the back of the barrel. Partways down the barrel the bore steps up to a larger bore allowing the propellant to escape around the ball and out the front. A very small amount of acceleration takes place after the step as the paintball is still traveling along with the gas as it escapes. It takes more energy to accelerate a paintball from zero to three hundred in five inches than it would take the same paintball to achieve the same velocity in ten inches. You have less time to reach the desired velocity therefore you have to apply more energy. More energy equals more gas making the barrel less gas efficient. I have never owned or shot a Lapco but looking at the pictures you will notice that all of the porting is at the very end of the barrel. The barrel has a longer acceleration distance making the barrel more gas efficient(assuming it is not stepped). This is assuming that you have a good paint to barrel match. Obviously, taking into account all I have just stated, if your bore is larger than your paintball then you will experience poor gas efficiency. Here in lies one of the benefits of the Freak barrel. Yes it is stepped bore (Making it the least efficient barrel design) but you are guarenteed good paint to barrel match and the best possible gas efficiency from a stepped bore barrel.

Phil

Bulldog
10-09-2002, 03:46 PM
I thought a step bore barrel was designed to let the paintball expand a little after the distortion of it's accleration, thereby improving accuracy. I also seem to remember hearing somewhere that any barrel length longer than 4-6 six inches was a waste, but the step bore provides for more accuracy at the cost of gas efficiency for the above reason. I don't know, there's other threads about this, a new one crops up every few months and I thought that was the conclusion of the last one I read, I could be wrong tho.

Kevmaster
10-09-2002, 05:17 PM
the truth is that nobody has really proven anything. you can come up with theroys for ANY barrel setup and have some bakcing. i have YET to see any hard data proving that "Barrel X" or a certian method is better than another.

however, ill personally say i love my Lapco barrels. had a freak, hated the thing and sold it

oneshot
10-09-2002, 06:47 PM
wait for the new barrel from poison products, it is going to blow the freak out of the water,

big E kingpin
10-09-2002, 07:39 PM
do you have any info on this barrel you speak of?

spazzed
10-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Bulldog, the length you speak of is 8", unported. Anything more than that doesn't do squat for ya.... New barrel? By all means, tell us more.

oneshot
10-10-2002, 12:06 PM
All I can say right now is that they are going to be out in the next week or two,

I cant say anything more until I am given an official press release. I will post more when I am given the go ahead from the owner.

but they are going to be good

CoolGSak
10-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Oneshot is correct when he says the Poison Products barrel system will blow the freak out of the water. The store where I work, The Edge Paintball, www.needguns.com will be releasing this system within the month. I don't have an offical press release yet from the owner, but I can give you a little info.

The Stainless Steel inserts are polished to .4microns which is equivalent to the mirrors on the Hubble telescope! It is so smooth, that paint literally cannot stick to it. Secondly, the case, unlike the freak case, is able to support a 300lb man standing on it with no damage. If you accidenly step on your freak case, the plastic, and possibly the inserts will be damaged.

More to come....

Morgan

big E kingpin
10-10-2002, 08:02 PM
mmmmmmm sounds lovely, im waiting for more info, is it similar to the freak,in that you can buy different size fronts, and different treaded backs?

CoolGSak
10-10-2002, 10:25 PM
Yes, the Posion Products barrel system will be offered in a "full" and a "light" version. The full will have an 8", 12" and 14" tip, back, and 3 SS inserts. The lite will have everything except you only get one tip of your choice. We will also be offering colors too, so you won't be stuck with just black!

No idea what retail will be yet, but if you really need more info, call Jason at the store at 608-756-8130 and tell him Morgan sent you.