PDA

View Full Version : Can this be invented?

Mr.TKO
10-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Why can't someone invent an O-ring, that doesn't break? Like, maybe put a steel wire in the center ans encase it in rubber. Can this be invented?

FalconGuy016
10-09-2002, 06:09 PM
Then just the rubber would break and it would still do the same thing

and they would be expensive

Fred
10-09-2002, 06:11 PM
if there was a steel ring encased in rubber... it wouldn't stretch.

just be careful with em, keep em well lubed, and don't use any wierd oils on em (don't mix oil either).

---Fred

mike e
10-09-2002, 06:12 PM
something tells me the needed flexability and stretch needed in a oring would somehow be lost if steel was used in the construction......:rolleyes: ;) however, for 13 cents a pop at home depot, im not really gonna shed tears when i rip these things up. if you do still desire a stronger o-ring, try smallparts.com? just a thought.

FalconGuy016
10-09-2002, 06:15 PM
I think the only thing you can really do is have better material for orings or a certain structure in the oring to make them better... but I dont know

Brian68mag
10-09-2002, 07:59 PM
Toms already done that.
Teflon orings, co2 doesnt effect them, thats why they are in the on-off
I think they should try a teflon tank oring.
Im going to go the the local hardware store and see if i can find a teflon oring that size lol.

Shirow
10-09-2002, 08:27 PM
make 'em out of lead!

Lone Brain Cell
10-09-2002, 10:07 PM
Rubber breaks down, gets brittle etc when it is sujected to cold,foreign sustances etc, so puting wire in it or stoping it from being flexible defeats the purpose of the o ring.
do what the rest of us do, buy a fistfull of o rings as spares & throw the old ones out. And if it breaks in a game, you arnt doing enough maintainance.

FrAuStY
10-09-2002, 11:24 PM
Have you ever been told to fire the gun while unscrewing the tank? It releases the pressure behind the o-ring and keeps them from "blowing out" once the tank is backed off the ASA. Try, it worked for me and I used the same o-ring for over a year.

Micromag Sith
10-10-2002, 01:39 AM
didnt someone make a rubber washer like thing that you put in the botom of your asa that took the place of the oring i read about it a while back but havnt seen anything since it sounded like a good idea

Mr.TKO
10-10-2002, 05:19 AM
Dam, I guess it can't be invented:( Tom, make something ahhhh!

SteveD
10-10-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Micromag Sith
didnt someone make a rubber washer like thing that you put in the botom of your asa that took the place of the oring i read about it a while back but havnt seen anything since it sounded like a good idea

NW makes them and they work great. I've tried them without an oring on the tank and they seal perfect. They're not rubber but made out of the same material as their Black Magic seals. They're called "life saver seals".

Steve D
AGD Lions

Pile & A Half
10-10-2002, 08:42 PM
Yeah I know what you mean.....Would be nice to have one that doesn't brake. But if you take good care of them then they wont like they said.

billmi
10-10-2002, 08:54 PM
I think it was the April 2000 issue of Paintball Magazine, that in the gear guide section had "Purpetu-O, the last o-ring you will ever need."

It had a retail price of something like $15, but the manufacturer guaranteed it for life.

If it ever ripped, failed or tore, due to a manufacturing defect, you just send in $5 to cover shipping and handling and they send you a new one for free.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

joeyjoe367
10-11-2002, 04:13 AM
I could make you an O-ring that would never break, never wear out

Stainless steel :)

...now would it actually seal anything? No. :p

Timmee
10-11-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by billmi
I think it was the April 2000 issue of Paintball Magazine, that in the gear guide section had "Purpetu-O, the last o-ring you will ever need."

It had a retail price of something like $15, but the manufacturer guaranteed it for life.

If it ever ripped, failed or tore, due to a manufacturing defect, you just send in $5 to cover shipping and handling and they send you a new one for free.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

No tanks, I'll just stick to buying 15 cent orings. :D

vf-xx
10-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Timmee

No tanks, I'll just stick to buying 15 cent orings. :D

That was just BAAAADDDD!!!!!!

yeahthatsme
10-11-2002, 11:34 AM
what about o-rings made out of tire rubber? very tough and flexible.

pito189
10-11-2002, 03:04 PM
Just get adjustable tanks, and then you are in there like swimwear. No more o-rings to worry about.:)