PDA

View Full Version : bolt idea.....

yeahthatsme
10-10-2002, 05:32 PM
what about a bolt that worked with a ring of super powerful magnets that reverse their pull when electricity is put through them, they would be activated by the trigger pull and pull the bolt forward super fast and that would launch the paintball and then reverse the pull and the bolt would reset. would that work? i dont have photoshop so i can't make a purdy pic. but hopefully you get the idea.....

Coaster
10-10-2002, 06:11 PM
completely unrelated but, i wonder if they could replace the maintspring with some magnets.

Mossman
10-11-2002, 06:05 PM
It could maybe work as a bolt, but most likely not as the force to shoot the paintball at nearly 200mph, after forcing it through a snug barrel.

I dont see a problem with the current main spring, dont see a need to add the huge amount of girth and weight that would be necessary.

John Molloy
10-13-2002, 05:32 PM
the idea would probably work BUT superconductor magnets need to be extremely cold and you wouldn't want to be carrying the refridgeration unit as well as batteries and paint. Maybe in 30 years or so a mass driver paint marker will be a reality, just not yet.

petefol
10-13-2002, 09:16 PM
200mph? or 200fps?

sniper1rfa
10-14-2002, 08:30 AM
204 mph = 300 fps...

SlartyBartFast
10-15-2002, 11:03 AM
A magnet driven bolt to launch a paintball would't be possible is my guess. Doubt a paintball could withstand acceleration from 0-300 fps in only an inch or two of travel.

If you did the force calculations required, you'll no doubt find that yould need a might large magnet and an enormoud power supply.

A bolt closed using magnets instead of a spring may be feasible. But I'm not so sure what the advantage would be over spring return.

John Molloy
10-15-2002, 05:07 PM
The magnet wouldn't need to be that big but its still unworkable for the other reasons stated.

bryan
10-15-2002, 11:48 PM
magnets would be a little smoother over a spring...hence magno triggers...but not that much

athomas
10-16-2002, 08:15 AM
The valve and bolt of a mag is stainless steel. The magnet will be affected by the total mass of the entire assembly. This could affect the operation of the on/off pin as well unless the pin is made out of a non ferous material.

athomas
10-16-2002, 08:28 AM
How about a pressure regulated air ram?

You could set the pressure and control the amount of return pressure exerted on the bolt. You would have a "tunable bolt spring" (but it wouldn't be a spring).

Personally, I would just be happy to have a set of shims for my bolt spring to adjust the return pressure.