PDA

View Full Version : How to powder coat a mag

ZyperioN
10-11-2002, 05:01 PM
Im doing a powder coating job on my automag and i was thinking after reading all the posts on how to tape off the rail and body. Couldnt i just leave the body rail and frame together and spray it, of course removing the valve, barrel and taping off the holes. then take it apart to bake them seperately. Wouldnt this make the best covering and easiest way to powder coat them?

Ironmag
10-12-2002, 12:20 PM
My concern is when you powder the parts together and then have to take them apart, wouldn't the powder just rub off when you handle it. It's just best to tape it, that seems to work.

Rabidus
10-12-2002, 02:52 PM
What color do you want to paint your mag? I once did a nice camo job on my mag, i sprayed light mists on it so it would not build up, it took a lot of spray paint and time however it looked great. People on the fields thought it was professionally done. I then sprayed a light duller finish on it to protect the paint. However, as nice as a job as you can do, it will not be perfect. Spray paint will chip off and break off due to the parts getting cold when you start firing it, and the grip frame will rub off the paint. My suggestion is to go to www.caswellplating.com They have a black oxide plating kit that works only on steel that can darken your breech to a flat black finish. It will last longer then powder coat and it looks great. The cheapest kit is 25 bucks! Or if you really want to, they sell anoziding kits for 150-250. They have many colors available and you can make your mag look unique. Remember, you can only anodize aluminum b/c if you try to anodize steel it will DISSOLVE in the acid solution!!! Hope this helps!