PDA

View Full Version : Capoiera

BlackHalo
10-11-2002, 08:27 PM
The person and people interested in the martial arts style.
Check this guy out

http://www.joeeigo.com/multilevelmoves/main.htm

Clare
10-11-2002, 08:45 PM
Well, that's pretty interesting. :) So he combined "Gymnastics, Martial Arts Tricks, Breakdancing Power Moves, and Stunts & Flips" and called it an "art" called Multi level moves. The combination of all those things is nothing new. :p

Thanks for the link! :D

BlackHalo
10-11-2002, 08:50 PM
Didn't even look at the rest of the site. Just thought he was showing off his moves.

Clare
10-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Here (http://www.geocities.com/sztalkoper1/capoeira.html) is a video of a couple guys showing off some moves

Thordic
10-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Doood, it was just like that movie!!!! You know, Only The Strong!!! :-p

*runs away from Clare*

BlackHalo
10-11-2002, 09:26 PM
HA HA HA!
I saw that movie! There was a whole bunch of them in the 80's if I remember right. Do you remember the breakdancing version of sparring? and the movie they made about it called Combatica? I feel soooo old.

oldsoldier
10-11-2002, 10:29 PM
wow, I gotta say, it is a beautiful art. I dont see it as too combat effective...although, it WOULD be kinda hard to grab hold of one of those guys. I just dont flex like that. I'll stick to grappling...I'm too damn short and uncoordinated to be throwing myself around like that...

Dayspring
10-11-2002, 11:03 PM
Not combat effective huh? You've never seen it in person then. While it is a little more acrobatic than most, trust me, you can do some SERIOUS damage with it. (But we all know martial arts is a way to PREVENT fighting, not help it along)

Archangel Damien
10-11-2002, 11:56 PM
2 words mauy tai baby its all you need to learn

Clare
10-12-2002, 12:05 AM
2 words mauy tai baby its all you need to learn

I did muay thai for a while, lots of fun. But, nothing quite like capoeira. :D

dansim
10-12-2002, 06:59 AM
two words baby FORD PINTO, you aint dodgeing that well maybe you are;)

EsPo
10-12-2002, 10:41 AM
its like eddie from tekken

oldsoldier
10-12-2002, 02:38 PM
I wasnt implying that capo isnt an art...hell, its more art than most. But, other than the flying feet, it doesnt really have any offensive/defensive practicality to it. Again, I am no way harping on this (it is beautiful to watch, and is something I could NEVER do), it is just that, in the real world, taken as a whole martial art, it is a bit impractical. Most are. They teach you discipline, balance, and any other myriad things you get out of it, including exercise, but, when it comes down to it, mostb of it is ineffective in the real world.
This isnt a flame. I have studied various martial arts for going on 14 years. I wholly encourage people to study these arts. The health benefits alone are worth it. I have grown to take what I can from them, and discard the impractical stuff. In this post I dont intend to discourage ANYONE from practicing the arts. Everyone gets exactly what they put into it. Dont do it halfhearted; you are just wasting yours and your instructors time.

PS; I would LOVE to see capo (the art, not our own ;) ) in person...it looks so beautiful, all that spinning!

beam
10-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Capo-- do you have any videos of you doing capoeira? Like doing all those flips and spins and kicks and stuff?

Clare
10-12-2002, 05:43 PM
I do, but not currently in my posession. :)

magman007
10-12-2002, 09:51 PM
hey CLaire, i must say, while visiting santiago while i was there for that tourny, out side of the chineese restaraunt i was eating at, they were doing some capoeria, it was amazing. My friend thought theyu were having a knife fight at first! it was really cool, and i so wanted to get some vid for you, but i didnt have my camera. I was impressed. All the more power to you

EsPo
10-12-2002, 10:20 PM
capo, u actually do that stuff? thats crazy!

MantisMag
10-13-2002, 12:15 AM
yech. i don't like the guy. he's full of himself. look at how often he takes off his shirt. :rolleyes: his physique is NOT that impressive. and if you look at the rest of his site he's really not very original. he just spouts off a bunch of quotes and talks a lot of management/motivational bull. (probably a business major) took a bunch of pictures from various places too. the logo isn't even very original. i've seen lots just like it from various schools. his martial arts skills are definitely lacking although i won't knock the flips. i don't really see the point in showing off how high you can jump on a gymnastics floor though. why show off high jumping skills on a springy cushioned floor? anyway to me he seems to be just some dork with a little talent that i would love to beat the hell out of. that's just my opinion though and i have very little patience for certain things. people who are both arrogant and ignorant are high on the list.

ps sorry for the rant. :)

pps the capoeira video was pretty cool clare. buncha guys who actually know what they're doing showing off some exercises and tricks. :cool: