PDA

View Full Version : halo B mods.

oldsoldier
10-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Ok, I went searching for this, and couldnt find it, so I am resorting to my fellow AOers; can you either mod the battery compartment so it will run off of 9v's, or run it off of the emag battery? Either way, I would like to know what would be needed as far as parts, etc. I know someone out there has done this, anyone got any advice?

SeeK
10-13-2002, 11:08 AM
Check out www.robagd.com to see how to wire to the Emag battery. You'll need a 9V power regulator chip and maybe a couple of capcitors. The chip isn't available in Radio Shack but you could have them order it. I tried looking on the web for it but all I got was this: http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F005%5F006%5F005&Page=1

Maybe you just need to order through the store catalog. It was $1.49 in an old catalog.

Pand0ra
10-13-2002, 02:09 PM
It won't work. The HaloB needs too much power to work. The battery will be too quickly discharged.
There was a thread about this a few months ago. The info comes from Tom, if I remember well.

The regulator is the 7809. A LM317 works also, but you need tyo use two resistors to set the output voltage of the regulator to 9V.

@++

SeeK
10-13-2002, 11:05 PM
650mAH @16.8V = 14 AAA NiMH
The Halo B is supposed to run well with 6 AA NiMH = 7.2V @ 1200mAH in place of the 6 AA Alkalines. The raw numbers look like the battery would handle it.

I think this is the article to which you were referring.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=27332

I found another where RobAGD states that there's not enough current available. Another person in that thread stated that the Halo draws 1200mAH. So while you could initially power the Halo from the Emag battery it would probably reduce it's life. If that's not a problem for you then I don't see a problem just recharging between games if your car is close.

It seems easier for me to just wire up a flat 8 cell AA NiMH pack and stick it in my tank cover. I could then remove the battery from the top and shift the weight to the back bottom. In this case you don't need voltage regulation.