PDA

View Full Version : Delrin body

bryan
10-13-2002, 12:28 AM
Just a thought here..

but what would be the disadvantages of making a cocker body out of delrin. As long as they've made one out of lexan shouldnt delrin be ok? I know it would scatch easy but your bolt would slide hella easy. Gimme some feedback!

Thanks!

John Molloy
10-13-2002, 05:18 PM
easy oway to answer is to say that the wear would cause gas leaks all over the place.

yeahthatsme
10-21-2002, 05:57 PM
you would have to put stainless steel sleeves anywhere that conact is made with the body. that would make it pointless.

10-21-2002, 09:03 PM
the only moving parts in an autococker that rub the body are the bolt, and the hammer.

i have had a derlin bolt in my autococker for over a year and a half, and looks very good for wear.

i don't think the body would suffer much from wear from the bolt and the hammer.

Redkey
10-22-2002, 10:12 AM
Before you build a complete body you might want to drill and tap (or just tap) a couple of holes to see how well the material holds threads.

I'll have to check on the materials properties. You say that someone built one out of lexan? aka polycarbonate, a fairly tough plastic, I'll look up those properties as well.

Spaceman613
11-01-2002, 10:14 AM
First, the valve chamber is a pressure vessel, be careful.

Second, isnt it odd how most look down on Brass Eagle becaus ehte markers arnt made of aluminum or Stainless? Now you want to make an aluminum marker out of a composite (plastic).

Now for the big question. What problem are you trying to solve?

sniper1rfa
11-01-2002, 03:12 PM
i dont look down on BE for using plastic, i look down on them for using crappy plastic. :)

Redkey
11-01-2002, 05:13 PM
materials engineering we refer to it as CPS

Cheap Plastic *****

Styles
11-03-2002, 02:46 PM
It would certainly work, but as mentioned the hammer and bolt would cause it to wear down. Making a body out of delrin so your bolt is "hella easy" doesn't make much sense though, considering the finish you can get from a honed bolt bore and matched bolt.

Anodized aluminum is a very hard material, and bolts with and without o-rings can wear even that down. Delrin bolts don't wear aluminum down so bad, but pieces of grit that get on them do. Since there are no orings on these bolts they're entire length scrapes foreign material all over the bolt chamber. Look at the inside of an old Angel breech if you want to see an example. Delrin on delrin would wear even faster I believe.

The hammer you could possibly put o-rings on, but would still rub I believe.

You would want helicoils in all the threads, but some would be a problem, like the valve jam nut, and hammer spring adjuster. It would be quite easy to strip delrin threads.

athomas
11-07-2002, 10:19 PM
I would be concerned about the pressure rating of the delrin since it would be used to contain a high pressure.

toymyster
11-10-2002, 02:48 AM
The Delrin will hold the pressure ok!!! Where the body is taped for various parts to screw into, however, is a diferrent story!!! The pressure, even from the springs, is enough to pull those threads right out and strip out every single hole!!!

Sn1p3R21
11-10-2002, 10:27 PM
An idea for the threads. If you tried tapping them using a tap w/ steep threads that way the threads are thicker and have to pull through more material to strip, it may be sturdier. What i'm saying is that a few thick threads would be harder to strip than a lot of little ones, but i'm not sure how hard it would be to do. Plus, you'd probably have a hard time finding screws to fit.

SnapShot
12-04-2002, 09:53 PM
If you were to make a cocker body out of delrin you would first need to build an aluminum or Stainless steel skeleton as a frame. You could place the skeleton in a cocker body mold and then you could pour molten delrin into the mold.

If you made an aluminum skeleton you would solve the barrel thread problem. and you would have a stronger cocker body.

Here is another really big problem to overcome: DELRIN SWELLS UP WHEN IT IS EXPOSED TO MOISTURE!
:o

poopthatkilledelvis
12-19-2002, 12:05 AM
K&P customs has made a body out of carbon fiber. Super light and very strong.

Bront
12-19-2002, 01:18 AM
Also, wouldn't the body be realy slick to hold? Delrin is suposedly "Self Lubricating" (I'd think that realy means just realy low friction)

I've heard of people using a high end composit to make a body though, and that would probably work better than Delrin.

Spaceman613
12-19-2002, 10:55 AM
G10 is fiberglass, not carbon fiber.... Thats a Fiberglass cocker. And it still used inserts for threads :)

bryan
12-22-2002, 01:17 AM
If you check out Duponts web site you'll notice that delrin absorbs very little moisture when fully submerged in water for 24 hours. Its a very small number that would never happen to a real paintball gun, who leaves their gun in water for a day?? As well delrin would not be hard to hold if you gave it a matte texture...it would be fine. I think the only problems would be inserts as well as threading and wear.

Spaceman613
12-25-2002, 01:08 AM
What would DuPont know? We all know that Delrin absorbs water and swells, I heard it on Pbnation. (dripping with sarcasm).

Threads is the issure, and wear. MAYBE pressure, but you couldbuild a super LP cocker for the pressure to be sub 150psi..

PsychoBaller
01-09-2003, 04:20 AM
I do belive either WHITE WOLF.. or someone else made a Lexan see through cocker body once..... most of the probs came from easily stripped threads... and thread inserts didnt do much of fixing the problem either...

as said above... leaking problems out the ying yang....
im gonna try and research some old sites i have.. see if i can actually find the pics again....

~da baller

tomcat
01-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Why not just keep the regular body and expand the holes where the hammer and bolt go. Then install permanent sleeves inside so that the bolt and hammer touch delrin instead of the alum body. The biggest question is how much advantage are you really gaining for the effort (if it is just to make it slicker).

ME262
01-11-2003, 06:38 AM
well if your going to go through all that even, why not press in hard chrome plated tubes, a hammer with teflon "rings" and a aluminum bolt with teflon rings as well.
but for what reason? (besides the it cant be done factor? ide try beleave me, but... ;) )

kind of like a plane that was made with perfect surfaces, it flew great for like one flight, but the slight friction from flying actually destroyed the surface.

delrin isnt really that much lighter anyway, after all the inserts you would need.

kiolia
01-12-2003, 05:40 PM
with an aluminum "skeleton" linking all of the threaded parts internally would be the tightest looking thing ever, IMHO. I think I might render something like that just to see. :D