PDA

View Full Version : Any AOers practice martial arts?

zen_dawg
10-18-2002, 03:16 PM
:D

HoppysMag
10-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Hum.... Capo does... being her name IS CaPoEiRa:D

shartley
10-18-2002, 03:43 PM
Have for over 15 years....

Archangel Damien
10-18-2002, 04:39 PM
i`m going to be learning mauy thai

BrEaKcYcLe
10-18-2002, 04:40 PM
i'm a brown belt in tae kwon do

Hemlock86
10-18-2002, 04:54 PM
I want to start taking Jujitsu leasons. A friend of mine is a second degree black belt and he showed me some cool stuff(grabs, stances,parry and punches). I think Jujitsu is probably the most useful in a real life situation, but then again, any Martial art will help in bad situations. I just like the Jujitsu style.

peace

cris8762
10-18-2002, 05:13 PM
1st Degree black belt Taekwondo, World Taekwondo Federation certified (only association recognized my International Olympic Commitie (sp?))

1st degree black belt Hapkido, Korean Hapkido Federation certified

I'm testing for my 2nd degree in TKD in Nov., i'm sooo excited!!:D

FactsOfLife
10-18-2002, 06:06 PM
escrima...

71 LS6
10-18-2002, 06:29 PM
1st degree black belt in isshin ryu, green in seidokan, but I stopped doing the martial Arts a while back. Sometimes I wish that I hadn't though.:(

1stdeadeye
10-18-2002, 07:32 PM
9mm degree in Glock!;) :p

Dayspring
10-18-2002, 07:42 PM
Green Belt in TKD. Took Aikido a while back, and have fallen out of it. I want to get back in.

oldsoldier
10-18-2002, 07:47 PM
11 years, like 8 disciplines. I posted em in another thread. Most recently was SPEAR system, I think it was called....

ronron2112
10-18-2002, 07:54 PM
I took tae kwon do when i was younger.. i think i got up to the yellow belt with 1 green stripe.. but the teacher moved his studio, and i didnt follow him, so i just dropped out

InfinatyBPS
10-18-2002, 09:02 PM
Took, kung fu for a few months(those places are hard to find), took karate for a few months, and took Kajukenbo which is Karate, Judo/Juditsu, Kenpo, and Kung Fu, for over a year, I got to being a yellow belt. The ranks I went to were Patched, White/ yellow, and then yellow. We got promoted every few months. I sometimes wish I didn't quit because I forgot most of what I learned so I pretty much wasted all that time and money. I take boxing now, mostly for excercise.

magman007
10-18-2002, 10:29 PM
1st degree black belt in tae kwon do.....

stoped at 14 for paintball, im now 16

zen_dawg
10-19-2002, 03:44 AM
thanks for the replies guys. As for myself, i've been practicing ****o-Ryu for 7 years now, not quite black belt like some of you :D , im still a brown belt:( .

Wow Facts, how do you like escrima? do they incoporate a knife also or you guys use the double stick? I know in Kali, we use a solid bamboo stick and a short knife. . .

well keep the replies coming guys, i wanna hear more. .

laters,
ZeN

FactsOfLife
10-19-2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by zen_dawg
thanks for the replies guys. As for myself, i've been practicing ****o-Ryu for 7 years now, not quite black belt like some of you :D , im still a brown belt:( .

Wow Facts, how do you like escrima? do they incoporate a knife also or you guys use the double stick? I know in Kali, we use a solid bamboo stick and a short knife. . .

well keep the replies coming guys, i wanna hear more. .

laters,
ZeN

the master we train with uses all the traditional weapons. that's what drew me to it initially, most disciplines force the student to achieve some level of profficiency bare handed before the instructor allows weapons training.

We practise with everything from knee stick to full length fence posts. The school's master has a real thing for fighting with whatever you can get your hands on. Interestingly, the art lends itself to empty hand styles very well and uses a lot of ground attack/defense methods as well.

Warped Designs
10-19-2002, 09:33 PM
Duk Ryu (Ninjitsu)
Kai Do (Karate with alot of jiujitsu)
Muay Tai
Tea Kwon Do (some Hapkido)
Also my old sparring partner taught me some Jeet Kwon Do

Recently found a school teaching Kajukenbo (may start that soon).

halB
10-19-2002, 09:46 PM
i dont, but my brother teaches me jsut bout everything he learns in chungnu (spelling?.) he also taught me that tae kwon do sucks, because there are only three places you can hit the person, and what good does that really do in the real world? after that i think hes gonna take up the phillipino stick fighting one.

vf-xx
10-19-2002, 09:52 PM
I"m about to promote to Orange in Brazilian Jui Jitsu. Fun stuff really.

zen_dawg
10-19-2002, 10:56 PM
i dont think Tae Kwon Do sucks, i think he was just misinfomed. there are more than one place to hit your opponent, maybe he meant vital parts like groin, solar plexus, and the kidneys.

Tony Arrivo
10-19-2002, 11:15 PM
Blue Belt in Wado Ki :D

halB
10-20-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by zen_dawg
i dont think Tae Kwon Do sucks, i think he was just misinfomed. there are more than one place to hit your opponent, maybe he meant vital parts like groin, solar plexus, and the kidneys.

i know its more than one, but he said you only get points for hitting certain body points, and thats all you cna hit. didnt say it was only one, i believe he said 3

vf-xx
10-20-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by halB

i know its more than one, but he said you only get points for hitting certain body points, and thats all you cna hit. didnt say it was only one, i believe he said 3

I guess you really have to look at what you're in it for. If you're in it for tournaments only that may be true (I don't know). But if you're in it for self defense I know you have a LOT more options if you don't limit yourself.

I took a semester of TKD a year back and while I thought it was cool it just doesn't compair to Jui Jitsu in my eyes.

InfinatyBPS
10-20-2002, 01:51 PM
Any of u guy's know any good martial arts that don't require you to be too athletic? Kajukenbo was pretty good for that, we didn't have to do flips or anything at least...

cris8762
10-20-2002, 02:38 PM
please.....TKD is not meant for street fighting....dont get me started.....

TKD is a OLYMPIC sport, not a martial art that teaches you how to flip, takedown opponents (well, some TKD incorporates those moves, but not many) and put finishing blows on them.....TKD is mainly kicking, which nowadays is not a practical form of self defense

so please dont go off saying that TKD sucks, just because it doesnt do as much for self defense as martial arts like Hapkido or Aikido, that doesn't mean it sucks, what about Kendo? does it suck because you learn how to sword fight? i think not!!!!

PLEASE think before you insult someone/something that you dont know much about

halB
10-20-2002, 04:44 PM
i stand by my blanket insult on that sacred ancient martial art. and besides, kendos just freakin awesome.

personman
10-20-2002, 04:53 PM
I quit Aikido a wihle back..
They dont really have color belts in the adults class, but I wasnt in the adults class, and I think they had color belts just to kind of appeal to the kids.. heh..
Well I had just earned the green belt and not even recieved it yet when I quit..

Miscue
10-20-2002, 05:19 PM
TaeKwonDo

I would say that TaeKwonDo, as well as just about anything else, is effective in certain situations against those without a martial arts/fighting background.

I do agree that in a street fight against someone who knows what they're doing... trying to use TaeKwonDo will get you killed. :)

MantisMag
10-20-2002, 06:40 PM
Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu. :D

i'm not going to get into a long rant about tae kwon do here. i started to type one and then realized i could go on for days. i'll simply say that although i can't stand tae kwon do schools or the mentality of many of the people who practice it, tae kwon do isn't as bad as it seems. it's the people who teach/practice it who make it that way.

rhetor22
10-20-2002, 06:46 PM
no martial arts for me :(

but i can kick ur bum cowboy style any day of the week! :D

Jeez I'm a hick.

InfinatyBPS
10-20-2002, 07:49 PM
When I get in a fight I never use what I learned, I usualy just use my boxing skills. Mostly because I'm to lazy to be doing flying hook kicks and stuff, so I just blast em in the nose a couple times then I'm done :)

cris8762
10-20-2002, 08:38 PM
mantis mag, please, tell me what you were thinking, i'm curious to know what you have to say about the martial art i love

MantisMag
10-21-2002, 04:00 PM
cris- that can be a very long conversation. i don't want to hijack this thread. and the topic could be highly volatile. some guys will defend their art to the death. others will always view certain arts derisively. so i can either pm you or i'll start a new thread. lemme know what you'd like me to do. :)

cris8762
10-21-2002, 06:01 PM
you could pm me, i'd really like to hear your views on this subject

PaintballSucka
10-21-2002, 09:51 PM
anyone of you tae kwon doers know a champion name

Abby Han.

halB
10-21-2002, 10:33 PM
i just wanna find a martial art where i dont have to learn all those stupid dances. those are to take up time cause time = money. i coulda said that more elequontly, o well. anyways, im thinking of taking up that hebrew style, forgot the name but i know it means "to survive" in hebrew

vf-xx
10-21-2002, 10:42 PM
Crav Magraw? Personally i'd stay away from that one, but i'm biased.

I like brazillian jui jitsu because it has no forms, is easy to customize to yourself or situation, and you can practice it full speed on other people without neccicarily having to hurt them. It does teach all the stuff needed to finish a fight, but always puts you in a position of power so you can usually just get your opponent to submit.

But like i said i'm biased.

madfoo
10-22-2002, 02:14 AM
wing chun!

i'm surpised nobody said wing chun.. i just started a few months ago.. it's a lot of fun..

dre1919
10-22-2002, 09:08 AM
I studied a style called Ken-Shu-Khan Kempo for five years while in college, '94-'99. Now I practice it regularly when I have time. It's moves and disciplines are essentially 60% Okinawan, 20% Korean, and 20% Hawaiian in their influences and histories. Good martial art though...our philosophy is "Flow like water, Hit like steel."

My teacher also took various other forms such as Tae-Kwon-Do, Jeet Kune Do, Kung-Fu, Muay-Thai Kickboxing, Traditional Karate, and Boxing. He would routinely sprinkle in moves or techniques from some of these styles in with our daily lesson of Kempo.

I feel real lucky because not only was this guy my sensai, he has been a great friend of mine for several years now as well.

MantisMag
10-22-2002, 01:30 PM
i just wanna find a martial art where i dont have to learn all those stupid dances. those are to take up time cause time = money. i coulda said that more elequontly, o well. anyways, im thinking of taking up that hebrew style, forgot the name but i know it means "to survive" in hebrew

most of those "dances" were made up long before schools started opening up for profit. they're actually designed as a way to teach fundamentals and how to combine certain moves. any good form should be able to be broken down into easily applicable combinations or be seen as having merit on its own (strength training/flexibility/internal exercise).

joeyjoe367
10-22-2002, 02:39 PM
LoL, All this talk about self-defense... If you REALLY are serious about defending yourself, learn to shoot a gun, and get yourself a concealed pistol liscence :P

...i know I plan to.

vf-xx
10-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by joeyjoe367
LoL, All this talk about self-defense... If you REALLY are serious about defending yourself, learn to shoot a gun, and get yourself a concealed pistol liscence :P

...i know I plan to.

It's all well and good, i'm not going to tell you not to get it, but you can be disarmed, and you can't realy take it everywhere. Besides there's more to martial arts than self defense. It's also dicipline and conditioning. More importantly these are far less likely to be leathal. This is a good thing.

halB
10-22-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by MantisMag

most of those "dances" were made up long before schools started opening up for profit. they're actually designed as a way to teach fundamentals and how to combine certain moves. any good form should be able to be broken down into easily applicable combinations or be seen as having merit on its own (strength training/flexibility/internal exercise).

im well aware of that, the thing is if i want strength training ill life weights, i have no need for more flexibility, and internal exercise, i have no idea what the hell that is but it sounds painful. theyre moves that are useless in real world situations. besides, i cant dance :)
I like brazillian jui jitsu because it has no forms, is easy to customize to yourself or situation, and you can practice it full speed on other people without neccicarily having to hurt them. It does teach all the stuff needed to finish a fight, but always puts you in a position of power so you can usually just get your opponent to submit.

my brother says this is a good one for those same reasons.

cris8762
10-22-2002, 06:30 PM
take hapkido! besure to find a properly qualified instructor as well, either Korean Hapkido Federation, or American Hapkido Federation are the 2 associations i recommend you look for when you ask instructors about their qualifications

MantisMag
10-22-2002, 08:56 PM
halb i think you missed the whole point. they're not supposed to be useless. they're an aid to practicing. it's hella boring to practice the same move or even a combination of moves over and over again. so practice a whole sequence of moves. a long one. then it's not as boring. can ya dig it? :cool: ;)

vf-xx
10-22-2002, 09:18 PM
im well aware of that, the thing is if i want strength training ill life weights,

Well i'm not so sure about that. A good martial arts work out will work out mucles you never knew you had. Besides it's not all about brute strength, but also muscular endurance.

Whichever martial art you decide to try, you REALLY need to go into it with an open mind. Dump all your previous thoughts about fighting and the like and just learn.

MiniMag66
10-22-2002, 09:48 PM
I've done jiu jitsu before and i loved that, done Tae Kwon Do and I HATED that, and hopefully pretty soon here I will be starting Vale Tudo which is basically all out fighting.

Farlow
10-23-2002, 10:25 PM
I am a blue belt in Nihon Goshin Aikido and have a green belt in TKD from 15 years ago. Hopefully to get my black belt someday in Nihon Goshin Aikido, but it takes a few years. I will probably take TKD when I get to brown in the Aikido, so I may improve my punches and kicks. I would also like to take a grappling class to learn the ground fighting. Hopefully I can make myself a well rounded martial artist.

Some quotes I like:
-No matter what art you train in, there is always someone better then you somewhere.

When the great Aikido Master was asked by a pupil how much time he should spend every day training:
"Train hard, eat right - Still die......" - Train as hard as you think you need to, no on else can tell you that.

Clare
11-02-2002, 02:42 PM
I started with Tae Kwon Do when I was 8 and I did that for about 9 years (started getting really bored of it). I went on to Muay Thai and Kendo and now only practice capoeira (regional). :)

ShooterJM
11-04-2002, 01:35 PM
Jujitsu for a short while, kendo, basic scars.

kenshinkandon
11-04-2002, 02:15 PM
I have a 1st degree black belt in Shorin Ryu Kenshinkan Karate. Been practicing for 7 years.

ShooterJM
11-04-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by joeyjoe367

...i know I plan to.

Well it's hard to get a conceled carry permit in some states. Also, that makes the assumption you have time and room to draw and shoot. Let alone safely.

Now as to the type of defense. That's open for debate. I personally think that high flying stuff is not good. Although it does look sweet. It's pretty much why I started SCARs stuff, well that and I had a roommate who still had his scars manual. That kind of helps. :D

ShooterJM
11-04-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by oldsoldier
11 years, like 8 disciplines. I posted em in another thread. Most recently was SPEAR system, I think it was called....

I've heard of SPEAR. That's by that tony blaur guy right?What were your feelings? My initial impression is that it's similar to SCARs. Didn't seem quite as, I don't know....brutal I guess is the word, though.

PREEMPTIVE EDIT: Yes, I know SCARs isn't exclusively used in SEAL h2h training. Yes, I've heard it's very similar to Kung Fu San Soo. But I do think it's the best I've tried, and I've yet to find a san soo school in the area.