PDA

View Full Version : boots: how to make sure nothings living in there

halB
10-19-2002, 09:28 PM
well im gonna be going as a cowboy fer halloween, cause chicks dig cowboys ;) and so i found some old cowboy boots in my garage. the problem is, scorpions, roaches, rats, and everything in between on the evolutionary scale lives in my garage, and odds are they also live in my boots. is there any way short of spraying raid down there or putting my hand in there to find out if anything living in there, and then how do i get the thangs out? im thinking of taking my co2 tank and old remote and just gassing the things to death.

HoppysMag
10-19-2002, 10:00 PM
butane, lots of butane.

magman007
10-19-2002, 10:07 PM
just turn em up side down and pound the heal... I ride, and stuff gets in there some times

if your that afraid, then well i dunno!

yeahthatsme
10-19-2002, 10:36 PM
roll the top part as far down as you can the turn it upside down and shake. if that doesnt get anything out pound the heal for a while with the boot upside down. if nothing comes out then use a flash light to check it out. then use leather gloves(the thicker the better) and reach in there with a hand shovel and scrape it out. then run your hands through there(witht the gloves on) that should get it good and clean in a safe manner.

Thordic
10-19-2002, 10:53 PM
CO2 sounds like more fun :)

As does Butane. It burns itself out too quick to damage the boot, or at least, it should :)

MagMan5446
10-20-2002, 01:23 PM
CO2 sounds pretty awesome...

10-20-2002, 01:46 PM
C4

MagMan5446
10-20-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 845
C4

Because it won't damage your boots

rhetor22
10-20-2002, 01:58 PM
yeah c4 is a good idea. Just get like 1-2 pounds and pack it in there then ignite.

I usually just smack the bottom of the boot too. If something is in there, its not gunna be holding on tight enough to stack in after you smack it around. Maybe you should put some mothballs in there next time

cris8762
10-20-2002, 02:29 PM
WW2 "potato masher" grenade!!! that'll get'em out!

-Jôker-
10-20-2002, 02:42 PM
heres what i do.... pick the boot up.... walk onto hard surface THROW the boot down as hard as you can repeat again and again then pick thr boot up and bang the heal against a wall then flip it uside down and get w/e it is out... then if you want to be really safe flood the boots let them sit there over night... next morning dump the water out and if theres still bad bugs in there burn the stupd things :rolleyes: o btw all my boots are reeally worn heh heh:p

Brak
10-20-2002, 05:51 PM
your afraid of bugs? man your a wuss.

joeyjoe367
10-20-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Brak
your afraid of bugs? man your a wuss.

I don't care how "Manly" you are, but putting on a boot without checking the insides, especially if there's scorpions around, is just plain stupid.

If being careful is "wussy" then hand me a "Wuss" T-shirt.

shartley
10-20-2002, 06:16 PM
Lots of ideas here.. LOL But as someone who wears cowboy boots almost daily I can tell you it is actually quite simple…..

Take the boot by the top (where you first put your foot in) and while sitting, simply swing the boot from shoulder height down to the ground hitting the ground with the boot’s heal. This will be sufficient to dislodge almost anything inside the boot. Then just take the boot and immediately turn it upside down popping the opening on the ground. This will cause anything you just dislodged to fallout onto the ground. Wallah! That quick, that simple! :D

If the boot has not been worn in a long time, you will probably want to wipe out the inside of the boot as well, to remove all dust and dirt. Then make sure you treat the leather since it will most likely be dry, and you don’t want the boot to split on you.

Hope that helps.

(Added: this also works great to removing anything your 2 year old daughter happened to put in it the night before. ;) Think spiders and scorpions are bad? Try being in a hurry and putting on boots with a lego or any other small “toy” in them! :D:D:D)

Brak
10-20-2002, 06:16 PM
man guys dont take it so seriously.. just put them in your closet with a box full of moth balls. that'll kill everything in the closet. just make sure you have no siblings/pets in the closet while you do it.

CRASHKING
10-20-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Brak
just make sure you have no siblings/pets in the closet while you do it.

ROFLMAOTNTCMP

why would you put children in the closet for a night?

oldsoldier
10-20-2002, 07:41 PM
have someone else put them on :D