PDA

View Full Version : Fisherman's Grotto Clam Chowder

Shingo
10-21-2002, 01:24 PM
This is a little obsession of mine... I LOVE Fisherman's Grotto Award Winning, World Famous New England Style Clam Chowder. There is nothing like it on this planet. If you are in Monterey California USA and have a chance to go to the fisherman's warf, get to the Fisherman's Grotto and get a small free sample of this perfect Clam Chowder. YOU HAVE TO TASTE WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT. Words can't describe it. You will have to go to understand what I'm saying here. It's not just another Clam Chowder Recipe... this is, in my opinion, pure clam chowder perfection.

Crazy??? Me??? Maybe... My wife and family sometimes thinks I am. I've driven over 300 miles (one way) just to get a bowl of this stuff. And tried countless restaurants to see if there are any other places on this planet that has the same texture, flavor, and aroma that comes even close to this and found none. If anyone has this recipe or something VERY close... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE share it with me. Thank you.

Shingo

The Frymarker
10-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Hey Shingo....

How can they have the best New England Clam Chowder on the West Coast?

Actually, I hate seafood and I happen to love the clam chowder that is at The Crow's Nest, in Warwick RI.

You see we in New England take our Clam Chowder very seriously. In Newport every year they have the Best of New England clam chowder cook-off. I have sampled every clam chowder in this state and a little of Mass.

And I have to say that Crow's makes the best. If the spoon doesn't stand up in the bowl..it isn't good clam chowder.

This is all in good fun Shingo, but I have to agree that I do have a love for clam chowder like you and I haven't found a good recipe yet.

Shingo
10-21-2002, 03:38 PM
Frymarker: Yeah, I'm sure there are other recipes out there that taste just as good (if not better) then Fisherman's Grotto Chowder. But, for the west coast... it sure is good. At least the best I've tasted around these parts. If you have any good Chowder recipes to share, please feel free to post it up. I would love to try a clam chowder recipe from another Chowder fanatic. :D

If anyone has a good Gumbo recipe, I'll take that too! :D

Shingo

Curly
10-21-2002, 10:43 PM
hey shingo next time i am in monterey i will check the place out. Where in cali do you live? I live in berkeley.

Shingo
10-22-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Curly
hey shingo next time i am in monterey i will check the place out. Where in cali do you live? I live in berkeley.

Curly: Dude, I'm at South Cal... by Irvine. It's one heck of a drive to go to Monterey from here. One reason I'm looking for the recipe or a recipe that is just as good. Go try it out and tell me whatcha think. It's not the thickest chowder out there, but it sure is good.

Shingo

The Frymarker
10-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Shingo I haven't found one yet, but I would try one of Emril Lagassi's recipes, he make really good food

ShooterJM
10-22-2002, 03:11 PM
I have an excellent recipe around here somewhere. I'll try to dig it out tonight.

If you've always used bacon when making it before, try salted pork instead. Makes a big difference overall, and especially the onion's taste. Also, evaporated milk or heavy cream. ummmm even a splash of red vinigar will favorably change the taste. Whatever you do don't add flour to thicken unless there is no way to avoid it! Just add more potato. The starch release should thicken it up.

I'll try to find the exact recipe tonight so you don't have just a random list of crap to try.

Shingo
10-22-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ShooterJM
I have an excellent recipe around here somewhere. I'll try to dig it out tonight.

If you've always used bacon when making it before, try salted pork instead. Makes a big difference overall, and especially the onion's taste. Also, evaporated milk or heavy cream. ummmm even a splash of red vinigar will favorably change the taste. Whatever you do don't add flour to thicken unless there is no way to avoid it! Just add more potato. The starch release should thicken it up.

I'll try to find the exact recipe tonight so you don't have just a random list of crap to try.

WOOHOO!!! Thanks Shooter!!! A recipe from someone who says they have a good one is great news. I look forward to trying it. :D

Shingo

Shingo
10-22-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by The Frymarker
Shingo I haven't found one yet, but I would try one of Emril Lagassi's recipes, he make really good food

Frymaker: This is what I found... Up for anyone who would like to try it. You know I will. :D

Emeril's Boston Clam Chowder
By Emeril Lagasse

A Rich and Thick Chowder, New England-Style

Ingredients:
1/2 pound bacon, medium diced
1 cup chopped leeks (about 1 pound)
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 carrot, peeled and diced
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup flour
1 pound white potatoes, peeled and medium diced
4 cups clam juice
2 cups heavy cream
2 pounds little neck clams, shucked, chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. In a heavy stock pot, over medium-high heat, render the bacon, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Stir in the leeks, onions, celery and carrots.

2. Sauté for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaves and thyme. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.

3. Add the potatoes. Stir in the clam juice. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the mixture until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12 minutes. Add the heavy cream and bring up to simmer.

4.Add the clams and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Ladle into shallow bowls and serve.

Yields: 6-8 servings

FreshmanBob
10-22-2002, 06:17 PM
I dunno guys, I'm from jersey an the canned progresso stuff toots my horn pretty well.. :cool:

darklord
10-22-2002, 08:41 PM
New England Clam Chowdah in Cali.? If you want it done right, come to New England! :p

Gotenks
10-22-2002, 11:59 PM
heh...

my family loves clam chowder, buys tons of cans of the stuff... never found a taste for it.

cool name.

SHINGO!!!!!!!

The Frymarker
10-23-2002, 05:18 AM
Shingo I am going to try that receipe this weekend!

Emeril make great food and I have made many of his recipes.

Have you tried his new tomatoe gravy in the market.

The Puttentesca is the best....and you could possibly pass it off as your own.:D

Thanks!!!

ShooterJM
10-23-2002, 09:17 AM
Couldn't find the recipe so I just tried to do it from memory. Probably forgetting something, but it's how I made it last night and it worked out well.

About 5 cups chopped potato
2 cups celery
2 cups onion
2 finely chopped carrots
1-2 quarts water (depending on how thick you like it)
1 quart heavy cream
2 cans evaporated milk
1 lb salted pork (bacon is ok if you can't find it)
1 stick of butter
about 4 large cans of clams
1 bay leaf
parsely

Ok. So throw the salted pork into a pan and cook it till all the fat is rendered. Throw the onion in and cook till the onions are slightly brown.

Put the water, bay leaf, juice from clams, celery, carrots, and potatoes in large stockpot. Bring to boil, then turn down a bit and simmer for about 30 min.

Put the heavy cream, evaporated milk and butter into a pan and heat till butter melts. DO NOT LET BOIL!

Combine ALL ingredients into one large stockpot. Simmer, again not letting it boil, for 30-45 min.

Ok you'll note there's no seasonings. I usually do the flavor your own bowl method. My favorite: fresh ground black pepper, splash of red wine vinager, and a pinch of white sugar.

mmmmmm so good. This makes quite a bit. It fed five 23 year old guys, one girlfriend, and there's still about 3 bowls left.

Cliffio
10-23-2002, 01:38 PM
ITS CHOWDA, SAY IT, CHOWDA

Shingo
10-23-2002, 06:56 PM
Canned Chowda... CHOWDAAAA.... hmmm sounds cool :D I've tried countless number of canned chowda brands, and all I can say about them is BLAH. Even Tried the canned version of the 'Fisherman's Grotto Chowder' and it still wasn't good enough. Still have one can to give me an idea of the ingredients they used.

Shooter: Gonna try that recipe. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks Dude!!! :D

Shingo

Shingo
10-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Shooter: Hey man! You gotta give that recipe a name of some sort...

ShooterJM's New England Style Clam Chowda! :D

Shingo

wingman898
10-23-2002, 10:21 PM
Iam from Boston and I'm gonna go on the web and look for a few different recipes....Legal Seafood for one....I have found that the best chowdah is at the smaller unchainlike places...

wingman898
10-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Shingo......you'll thank me for this, I guarantee it:

Clam Chowder
4 quarts littleneck clams (this will yield about 1-2/3 cups cooked and chopped)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup water
2 ounces salt pork, finely chopped
2 cups chopped onions
3 tablespoons flour
1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced into ˝-inch cubes
4-1/2 cups clam broth
3 cups fish stock
2 cups light cream
oyster crackers (optional)

Clean the clams and place them in a large pot along with the garlic and water. Steam the clams just until opened, about 6 to 10 minutes, depending upon their size. Drain and shell the clams, reserving the broth. Mince the clam flesh, and set aside. Filter the clam broth either through coffee filters or cheesecloth and set aside.

In a large heavy pot slowly render the salt pork. Remove the cracklings and set them aside. Slowly cook the onions in the fat for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently, or until cooked through but not browned. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the reserved clam broth and fish stock, and whisk to remove any flour lumps. Bring the liquid to a boil, add the potatoes, lower the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Stir in the reserved clams, salt-pork cracklings, and light cream. Heat the chowder until it is the temperature you prefer. Serve in large soup bowls with oyster crackers on the side. (Serves 8)

This is the recipe directly from the legal seafood recipe manual. I lived in Boston for 20 years and this is the premeire seafood restaurant in the area.

ShooterJM
10-24-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Shingo
Shooter: Hey man! You gotta give that recipe a name of some sort...

ShooterJM's New England Style Clam Chowda! :D

Shingo

heheheh ya my buddies just call it Shooter's Chowder!
Did you try it?

Shingo
10-24-2002, 11:00 AM
Wingman: Recipe looks good. I'll Let you know how it turns out. :D

Shooter: Shooter's Chowda!!! hehehe like that name. Sorry I didn't try it yet.

I have about fifteen recipes to try out. The list keeps on growing. I plan to make one pot of chowda each weekend and hold onto the good recipes. Right now Shooter's recipe is #7... Wingman, your recipe is #14... Emeril Lagasse's recipe is #6... this is the order I received them. I plan to post the best 5 recipes in AO and other forums. You guys just can't imagine... I'm in Chowder heaven :D

Thanks to everyone for their posts!!! If you still have a recipe please post it up. I plan to try them all.

Shingo

The Frymarker
10-24-2002, 03:21 PM
Happy Birthday Shingo!!!!!

Maybe you should celebrate and get some chowdah

FutureMagOwner
10-24-2002, 03:30 PM
the best lunch ever is going down to gallele or however your supposed to spell it in narraganset pick up some clam cakes and chowder at the resturants they got some really good stuff down there

The Frymarker
10-24-2002, 03:47 PM
Yep George's in Galilee is good, but it's not Crow's Nest in Warwick

magman007
10-24-2002, 04:41 PM
OMH LEAGAL SEAFOOD!!!!! oh my god that place is good, and i for one hate sea food! i hate fish and all that stuff, but they make the best muscles.....

ShooterJM
10-25-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by magman007
OMH LEAGAL SEAFOOD!!!!! but they make the best muscles.....

Ok. Legal Seafood is a pretty good place, but they don't make the best mussels. Good, yeah. Best, no. You need to drive up to Maine, go to the beach. Walk until you see the first shack looking place that says "lobsters" and go in and order mussles. So good, and so fresh! :D

The Frymarker
11-07-2002, 06:11 PM
Shingo,

I made the Emeril recipe.......

Oh my god, I just made it and had 2 bowls of the stuff!

That is an awesome recipe, I substituted and added another cup of cream...love cream!

Even my daughter who is 2 loved it, she had a chowdah mustache

Thanks for the recipe!:D

-Jôker-
11-08-2002, 11:39 PM
gumbo recipe

get left over

shrimp
beef
chicken
crab
crawfish
pork
rice
ETC ETC ETC

add broth spices etc heat eat! lol jk but thats prettty much what gumbo is a bunxh of leftovers in a bowl