PDA

View Full Version : A question regarding the E-MAG battery...

Gotcha3
10-22-2002, 06:39 PM
I have heard that the E-MAG can operate on 9V batteries--however--I am just wondering how this is so. I have tried inserting 2 9V batteries into my battery storage unit and i do not get any power from them (The batteries move around very freely inside of the storage unit). Additionally, I have tried to just make a contact with one of the batteries without putting the storage unit on the dovetail and my screen lights up and everything! How do I get this to continue to work without having to hold the battery in place with my hand--haha????
Thanks,
Aaron
E-MAG::::::::::D ::::::::::::D :::::D Check It Ref!

RAM3139
11-08-2002, 03:44 PM
i read somewhere that an emag runs off 18v (not sure tho). If so, get 2 9v connecters and wire them in series(one positive to one negative and use the remaining 2 wires as your leads. If it only uses 9, hook them in parallel.

Gotcha3
11-08-2002, 05:37 PM
I was told that the 2 9V batteries was an early idea in the development of the E-MAG and they never went through with developing it.
Hope this helps,
Aaron

athomas
11-12-2002, 01:34 PM
You will have to make a connector to fasten the two nine volt batteries to the emag battery connections inside the battery pack. Use a series connector set-up (two 9v batteries in series) to deliver 18v. Make sure you put foam inside the pack to take up any slack so the batteries don't slide around.

Now as mentioned in your earlier post on this subject, I don't think it will work well.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54220&highlight=battery+AND+emag

You will probably be able to shoot your emag, but I'm guessing that under rapid fire conditions, the gun will become unstable. This is because the batteries will not be able to keep up with the current (amps) demand placed on them.

you may be able to get more out of your cells by adding a capacitor across the 18v battery outputs. This will add some current buffering which will allow the batteries to charge the capacitor even while the solenoid is not being activated. The capacitor will deliver the instantaneous current required providing you select the appropriate size cap.

Another thing that may help your cause is if you use four 9v batteries in a series/parrallel configuration to give you 18v. Each pair of 9v batteries in parrallel will delive twice as much instantaneous current as a single 9v battery.