PDA

View Full Version : Help Fast.....WARPFEED PROBS

agdemagman69
10-22-2002, 10:13 PM
so i went to replace a 9v today, and the wires that connect to the board just fell out from the unsupported wires that agd has on the warp feed.

so i tried resoldering the wires to the board, but it didnt work because they wouldnt conduct for some reason. so then we tried supergluing them but that didnt work either. I am Mega Pissed at AGD for not doing anything to support those wires.

so my questions are:
will they replace my board?
will it cost me anything? (besides shipping
how do i send it in?
how long will it take?(i live an hour from agd)

it cant cost more than 50$ for agd to make a warpfeed, why not do a little extra and support the soldering?

PsychoMag
10-22-2002, 10:19 PM
I doubt AGD has quality issues.
You may have tugged the thin wires a few times hard which would have caused them to fall out. You need to clean the old solder out before re-tinning the contact, you dont want a cold joint. You also shouldnt use super glue since that would act as an insulator and not allow current to pass.

Mossman
10-22-2002, 10:46 PM
LOL, you're a wreck.

A = obviously you tugged on the battery to get it out. That is not the right way to do things. The same exact thing happened to me, I'm not saying its inexcusable, but theres a difference. I didnt come on AO and complain about quality issues and say its their fault. Their soldering job is as strong as any soldering job.

On my old warp, one time i dropped the motor/board 1/2 of it from off my knee, and i CAUGHT it by the battery. The connection didnt break.

Get someone who knows what they are doing to fix this for you. Whether your father, buddy, TV repairman, doesnt matter, you shouldnt have to send it back to AGD. This is a question of a dab of solder, about 1 second of heat from a solder gun, and a vague idea of what the hell you are doing. It's about as easy as it gets.

Also, Mr. Helpful, how would you suggest AGD reinforces these wires? Its a lot more useful to come up with solutions to problems that don't really exist than to whine about them. There really isnt a way to reinforce solder points, especially when people are going to abuse and tug on them in ways that they aren't designed to be.

If i were you and I was so concerned, here is what I would do. Plug in your soldering iron. Wait 5 minutes for it to heat up. In that time you could be taking the board out of your warp and getting it ready. Heat up a dab of solder. Attach the wire. NOW the mindboggling part. Take a hot glue gun. Put a little bit of slack in the wires, and hot glue the 2 wires to the board someplace. This will give you a little more buffer area so you can tug and hang the warp by the battery connectors a few times before the solder job breaks free.

Take my advice any way you like :) Enjoy your working warp.

agdemagman69
10-23-2002, 08:52 AM
1. yes, i was being an a**... i was really pissed

I was always careful not to tug on the battery to take it out because i had read a post on someone about how those wires had broken. I did not tug on it, i went in and the cables were already off the board

2nd. they should support them somehow, just not let them hang there freely.

Agd could very easily make it better
1 idea would be
just hook the wires from the board up to a plate connection thats stationary so that you could just slide a 9v in there like you do in a revy. (as a matter of fact thats what i managed to pull off today in electronics class)
This pretty much guarantees that the wires wont break from stress (for a 9v they would just need a small removable block in there to take up the unneeded space... and then that could be removed for a 12 v setup

Edit= If you want i can probably take a picture of it tonight

hitech
10-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by agdemagman69
If you want i can probably take a picture of it tonight

Pictures are always good. Show off your handy work. :D

Shirow
10-26-2002, 05:01 PM
what is the best way to get the battery off the connector? I always find it really hard to get it off.

sniper1rfa
10-26-2002, 05:59 PM
Actually, these wires WILL break without being tugged on, the metal the wire is made of fatigues easily. bend it a few times at the connection and they will break.

also, yes, AGD should have a stress relief for the wires. every seen an impulse board? thats a GREAT way to make a simple stress relief. it just transfers the stress of being pulled onto the wire, not the connection.
AGD should put two holes into the board, so they can thread the leads in one, out the other, then back to the solder points. this would make the whole setup much stronger, and would be cheaper for them in the long run.
If there isnt room for this, putting two holes like this anywhere would be a good thing. My stress relief is simply two slots on on shell that create the holes when the halfs are together. works great!

Remember, even a great company will make mistakes. *poke*