PDA

View Full Version : Can you annodize aluminum cans?

Ironmag
10-23-2002, 03:09 AM
I want to learn how to annodize aluminum and was wondering if you can annodize aluminum soft drink cans so that it looks good. I want to learn but not at the expense of the expensive bodies of paintball markers. What are other good things to practice annodizing on. I get really bored alot and want something to do. Any help is welcome.

Creative Mayhem
10-23-2002, 04:04 AM
I'm not a metalurgist, but from what I understand, aluminum may be too thin to anno. If I'm wrong so be it. Whay not go to your local scrap yard and look for pieces of aluminum then you can anno 'til you heart' content. Have fun!

C Mayhem
AKA Purple Wang

The Frymarker
10-23-2002, 05:39 AM
actually aluminum cans are anodized that is how they get the logos on there such as pepsi and coke

As for reanodizing them, they may not make it because the metal is so thin, but it can't hurt to try.

I used to practice on old stock barrels

dansim
10-23-2002, 07:12 AM
but in order to anno teh cans youll have to strip the old stuff off right? sounds kinda thin to me

Seabaas
10-23-2002, 07:20 AM
Why not just cut them open and try anodizing the underside? , if that even works. I'm curious if it works as well. Let us know if you try it and it does or not.

- Seabaas

luke
10-23-2002, 07:25 AM
Try your local hardware store. They sell 4'' lengths of Aluminum rod of various sizes and usually it's pretty cheap. If you live in a big city there may be a metal distributor that you can by from. You can buy full length sticks (usually 21') for about the same price that your local hardware store sells 4'ers for. Keep in mind if you don't buy full length peace's from the large outfits, you pay WAY more for the product.

Here is a good read about the different types of aluminum. I apologize if it's information you already know.

Also, here is a place on-line you can buy short peace's of aluminum from.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Aluminum alloys result when aluminum is combined with one or more other metals such as copper, manganese, silicon, magnesium, or zinc. Adding these metals makes naturally soft "pure" aluminum stronger. All aluminum alloys are lightweight; ductile and malleable (easy to machine, fabricate, join, and work); nontoxic; and electrically and thermally conductive.

Note: Yield strength is stated in ksi. 1 ksi = 1000 psi.
Alloy 1100— "Commercially pure," this nonheat-treatable alloy has more thermal and electrical conductivity than other aluminum alloys. It offers excellent corrosion resistance and workability, plus is easy to weld and braze. Ideal for chemical equipment, heat exchanger fins, and sheet metal work. Yield strength is 17 ksi. Hardness is 32 Brinell. Melting range is 1190° to 1215° F.

Alloy 2011— Heat-treatable alloy has great machinability and fair corrosion resistance. Superior free-cutting properties make it a prime choice for screw-machine products, tube fittings, hose parts, and many other machined components. Yield strength is 43 ksi. Hardness is 95 Brinell. Melting range is 1005° to 1190° F.
Alloy 2017— Stronger and easier to weld than Alloy 2011, this heat-treatable alloy also offers good machinability (although it's not as easy to machine as Alloy 2011). Workability and corrosion resistance are fair. Use it for screw-machine products, tube fittings, fasteners, and needles. Yield strength is 40 ksi. Hardness is 105 Brinell. Melting range is 955° to 1185° F.

Alloy 2024— One of the "aircraft alloys", heat-treatable Alloy 2024 has high strength with fair formability and workability, so it works well for spot welding. Use it for aircraft parts, fasteners and fittings, wheels, and scientific instruments. Yield strength is 47 ksi. Hardness is 120 Brinell. Melting range is 935° to 1180° F.

Alloy 3003— Nonheat-treatable, this alloy may be strengthened only by cold working. It's similar to Alloy 1100 with slightly higher strength, has good weldability and workability, and offers excellent corrosion resistance. Use in chemical and food-processing equipment, tanks, heat exchangers, and sheet metal work. Yield strength is 21 ksi. Hardness is 40 Brinell. Melting range is 1190° to 1210° F.

Alloy 4032— Featuring high silicon and nickel content, this heat-treatable alloy provides superior wear and abrasion resistance as well as good machinability. There's no need for hard-coat anodizing often required in applications using Alloy 6061. Ideal for automotive, aerospace, electronics, appliances, and hydraulic/fluid power applications. Yield strength is 46 ksi. Hardness is 120 Brinell. Melting range is 990° to 1060° F.

Alloy 5052— Stronger than Alloy 3003, this nonheat-treatable alloy offers excellent corrosion resistance (especially in marine environments) as well as good weldability and workability. Ideal for tanks and drums, marine and vehicle bodies, and fan blades. Yield strength is 28 ksi. Hardness is 60 Brinell. Melting range is 1125° to 1200° F.

Alloy 6013— This heat-treatable alloy offers the corrosion resistance, weldability, and thermal conductivity of Alloy 6061 with improved machinability and higher hardness. It also has the strength of Alloy 2024. When machining, this alloy breaks into small, less "stringy" chips which reduces downtime caused by metal buildup on cutting tools. Yield strength is 62 ksi. Hardness is 130 Brinell. Melting range is 1052° to 1195° F.

Alloy 6020— Here's a lead-free alternative to Alloy 6262 with excellent machinability. Heat treatable, this free-machining alloy produces very small, broken chips which enables higher productivity by allowing faster machining speeds and shorter cycle times. It offers an excellent surface finish as well as superior corrosion resistance and improved anodizing response compared to the highly machinable Alloy 2011. Applications include master cylinder pistons; valves; and hydraulic parts used in automotive, fluid power, and electronics industries. Yield strength is 42 ksi. Hardness is 100 Brinell. Melting range is not available.

Alloy 6061— Extremely versatile, this heat-treatable alloy combines good weldability and formability, high corrosion resistance, and medium strength. Use it for chemical equipment, vehicle parts, scaffolding, and pipe fittings. Yield strength is 40 ksi. Hardness is 95 Brinell. Melting range is 1080° to 1205° F.

Alloy 6063— Superb corrosion resistance and ready weldability make this heat-treatable alloy great for outdoor applications such as architectural trim, railings, and piping. Yield strength is 21 ksi. Hardness is 60 Brinell. Melting range is 1140° to 1210° F.
Alloy 6262— You'll get excellent machinability and good corrosion resistance with this heat-treatable alloy. It can be readily welded; accepts coatings well; and has good finishing characteristics (a bright, smooth finish is easy to obtain). Use it for valves, pistons, hinges, and fittings. Yield strength is 55 ksi. Hardness is 120 Brinell. Melting range is 1080° to 1205° F.

Alloy 7068— Offering extreme high strength, this heat-treatable alloy is significantly stronger than Alloy 7075 with comparable corrosion resistance. Originally developed for ordnance applications, it's now being used for aircraft and vehicle parts as well as for other applications requiring extreme high strength. Yield strength is 99 ksi. Hardness is 190 Brinell. Melting range is 890° to 1175° F.

Alloy 7075— One of the hardest aluminum alloys, this exceptionally strong, heat-treatable alloy has good machinability and fair corrosion resistance. An "aircraft alloy" material, it's ideal for aviation parts, keys, gears, and other high-stress parts. Yield strength is 73 ksi. Hardness is 150 Brinell. Melting range is 890° to 1175° F.
Yield strength is 28 ksi. Hardness is 60 Brinell. Melting range is 1125° to 1200° F.

Alloy 6013— This heat-treatable alloy offers the corrosion resistance, weldability, and thermal conductivity of Alloy 6061 with improved machinability and higher hardness. It also has the strength of Alloy 2024. When machining, this alloy breaks into small, less "stringy" chips which reduces downtime caused by metal buildup on cutting tools. Yield strength is 62 ksi. Hardness is 130 Brinell. Melting range is 1052° to 1195° F.

Alloy 6020— Here's a lead-free alternative to Alloy 6262 with excellent machinability. Heat treatable, this free-machining alloy produces very small, broken chips which enables higher productivity by allowing faster machining speeds and shorter cycle times. It offers an excellent surface finish as well as superior corrosion resistance and improved anodizing response compared to the highly machinable Alloy 2011. Applications include master cylinder pistons; valves; and hydraulic parts used in automotive, fluid power, and electronics industries. Yield strength is 42 ksi. Hardness is 100 Brinell. Melting range is not available.

Alloy 6061— Extremely versatile, this heat-treatable alloy combines good weldability and formability, high corrosion resistance, and medium strength. Use it for chemical equipment, vehicle parts, scaffolding, and pipe fittings. Yield strength is 40 ksi. Hardness is 95 Brinell. Melting range is 1080° to 1205° F.

Alloy 6063— Superb corrosion resistance and ready weldability make this heat-treatable alloy great for outdoor applications such as architectural trim, railings, and piping. Yield strength is 21 ksi. Hardness is 60 Brinell. Melting range is 1140° to 1210° F.
Alloy 6262— You'll get excellent machinability and good corrosion resistance with this heat-treatable alloy. It can be readily welded; accepts coatings well; and has good finishing characteristics (a bright, smooth finish is easy to obtain). Use it for valves, pistons, hinges, and fittings. Yield strength is 55 ksi. Hardness is 120 Brinell. Melting range is 1080° to 1205° F.

Alloy 7068— Offering extreme high strength, this heat-treatable alloy is significantly stronger than Alloy 7075 with comparable corrosion resistance. Originally developed for ordnance applications, it's now being used for aircraft and vehicle parts as well as for other applications requiring extreme high strength. Yield strength is 99 ksi. Hardness is 190 Brinell. Melting range is 890° to 1175° F.

Alloy 7075— One of the hardest aluminum alloys, this exceptionally strong, heat-treatable alloy has good machinability and fair corrosion resistance. An "aircraft alloy" material, it's ideal for aviation parts, keys, gears, and other high-stress parts. Yield strength is 73 ksi. Hardness is 150 Brinell. Melting range is 890° to 1175° F.

Kevmaster
10-23-2002, 07:35 AM
alum rods at the hardware store

alum blocks at a junkyard

barrels and other small parts

go to home depot, they have big blocks of alum

you can practce on just about anything aluminum !!

also, www.smallparts.com sells most things you might need

The Frymarker
10-23-2002, 09:36 AM
Oh yeah I forgot.

When I would need racks to hang the aluminum, you can also use this to practice on and it is very cheap, buy a bunch of heavy cable

Inside the cable you will at least 10-20 aluminum rods in side, just strip off the outer rubber and your good to go.

There are a lot of places to find scrap aluminum.

With the cans you will have to strip them first the etch them.

Ironmag
10-23-2002, 01:16 PM
Wow! Thanks ppl for the quick response to my question. I'll check out my options and see if I can find aluminum rods and such and work on that.

HoppysMag
10-23-2002, 01:53 PM
buy a huffy! comon what else are they good for? lol get and old bike or something:D

magman007
10-23-2002, 04:24 PM
Well, i didnt read that long arsed post, because i would have lost my train of thought, the can is do able, you just have to strip it on dramo first.

The aluminum bar stock is best, or some of those rods. Im sorta ao's Anno Test monkey, so if you have any questions once you get started, fel free to messange me at fender00786@hotmail.com

If something is previously annoed, you have to strip it before you do it again, or the electricity will not conduct

Marek
10-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Guys, try not to give Ironmag too many ideas. He might get bored one day, and try to anno my SFL. Better hide it... :)

Ironmag
10-23-2002, 08:55 PM
yup, gonna anno it a pink to purple fade, your favorite colors.

btw, thanks all for the advice

magman007
10-23-2002, 08:57 PM
MAREK, Of topic, but please i want to see that sfl!

Dern
10-24-2002, 01:13 AM
What about aluminum foil (too thin?) or just the pop can tabs that u use to open the can. Also, try using aluminum screws, or the parts from the Erector Set toys ( or are those steel?). Paper Clips? Staples? lol....

Pand0ra
10-24-2002, 04:46 AM
You can't anodize cans. The aluminium is covered by a polymer.

I've yet to see a can where the logo is anodised. It's way too slow to do it.

@++