PDA

View Full Version : Cocker or Mag???

CaptinComando
10-23-2002, 09:19 AM
Hey I am in the market for a new gun and have pretty much narrowed it down to two guns. the 68 automag or a 2002 vert feed cocker. Both guns have high customizability and both are supposed to shoot around the same. Let me know what you think is the better gun

Scootyd
10-23-2002, 09:25 AM
The cocker is a good gun but I personally want to be playing and not working on my gun. The pneumatics and timing are more than I care to bother with or worry about. I have shot many nice cockers and their performance is acceptable but my mag never fails, has no timing to get out of whack and in my area stands out since so many people use cockers. In short cockers aren't bad guns but I would recommend a mag.

ogre55
10-23-2002, 11:25 AM
Why do people ask such questions in a 'Mag forum? Go with the 'Mag for exacly the reason that ScootyD mentioned.

Knowing how to time a 'Cocker is essential to owning one. I have been a die hard 'Magger for a few years for exactly that reason.

I recently purchased a very nice Freeflow 'Cocker. The reason was because the price was unbelievable and because I have wanted one for a long time. However, I have seen so many people ger frustrated using 'Cockers that I have made a point to read up on them before I so much as put an allen wrench to it. Cockers can get out of time for a million reasons and they are definetely a gun for someone who doesn't mind constant maintenance.

Check out www.customcocker.com for an idea of what timing a 'Cocker can be like.

On the other hand, once you get your 'Mag working you will never have to do anything to it again. Like any high end marker, there is a breaking in period, but once that period is over, you are done, unless you do something to it. The same cannot be said for 'Cockers.

Ogre

darklord
10-23-2002, 04:45 PM
go with the mag, you really don't need to upgrade them a lot to make them good. Unlike 'cockers mag upgrades are more performance enhancing than sheer looks.... plus like the others said timing is a pain, and they're just too complicated. I own a mag, and have owned a cocker...the cocker was much quieter, but the mag gives me less heartache and is easier to use.

PolishSausage
10-23-2002, 05:36 PM
You'll get nothing but biased answers on this board Captin. And if you asked on a 'Cocker board you'd get the same there.

Go to your field, try them out, see what you like the best. I have a cocker, and havn't had any trouble keeping it maintained and running. Once you learn how to time you gun once, its like riding a bike. Try before you buy.

-Tyler

SyntaxError
10-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Hehehe Tyler...that didn't seem to be what you were saying on sunday lol. For me mags do it, for some cockers do. Try them out is the only way to know what YOU like.

Remember when I short stroked Jay's cocker like 10 times in a row hehe?

-adam

Wc Keep
10-24-2002, 08:08 AM
i own a mag. i would like to own a cocker though, just to have a little variety while i play. both are great guns. either way you go your gonna have a great marker.

InfinatyBPS
10-24-2002, 03:46 PM
Wow, many biased oppinions, might as well put mine here.

Cockers are great guns, VERY RELIABLE, as long as you DON'T MESS WITH THEM!!! Don't let anyone tell you that cockers suck because they break, they don't break, and they won't come out of time unless u mess with them. And even if they did come out of time, they are very easy to time. Just adjust the sear lug, and adjust the 3 way collar then its timed. Not very complicated. And if you ever feel like, hey I think I want to upgrade my gun, with a mag, you can get like 3 things for it to make it personalized. But with a cocker u have thousands of opptions. And you can tweak and tune till you die. And btw, I reccomend waiting for the 2k3 cockers to come out because they will have milled bodys, and hinges stock.

Brak
10-24-2002, 04:48 PM
im getting a cocker fairly soon, and i think i made a good decision. i was stuck in between the two also, but a great deal on a cocker came along and i just had to take it.

PolishSausage
10-24-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by SyntaxError
Hehehe Tyler...that didn't seem to be what you were saying on sunday lol. For me mags do it, for some cockers do. Try them out is the only way to know what YOU like.

Remember when I short stroked Jay's cocker like 10 times in a row hehe?

-adam

It was no longer a cocker, at that point it had become a paint blender, lol.

See you Sat.

-Tyler

56kSomeGuy
10-24-2002, 04:57 PM
If you like to tinker with your gun and want to buy hundereds of dollars of upgrades, go with the cocker.
If you want to have a reliable gun without much maintence if any get a mag(it will never fail unless a meteorite hits it dead on:)).

theraidenproject
10-24-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Brak
also, infinatyBPS, that is not the 2k3 autococker, it is the new line of cockers called the "Outkast" that is going to replace the STO. (atleast thats what i hear from thousands of people) either that or the 2k3 cockers will cost about $400
Kevin - He's right. This is the new 2k3 cocker...
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=492441

and this is the outkast...
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=435878

RamboPreacher
10-24-2002, 07:53 PM
I guess my completely biased answer is to say that you should get a cocker and a mag - oh, you should also get a Palmer Blazer too. come to think of it, you may need a backup for those three primary markers, so you should get a JAE for a backup, maybe an IR3 or something like that. Just leave it in the box for display purposes though because the you will be to busy using the other three. an cnc extreme might be a good backup as well, but I don't think you can get one right now. :)

Nomad
10-24-2002, 09:47 PM
GET BOTH!!!!

I already got my Minimag and now I'm saving up to buy cocker parts and build my own cocker from scratch just to say that I did. :D

And cockers are kinda realiable, you jsut have to be a little more careful with them. That means no smashing them into the ground when sliding (as I have done with my mag), no hitting bunkers walls as you forget to stop when trying to escape from enemy fire (as I have done with my new mag), no messing with the internals (unless you know what you are doing. And I've mess with my Mag).

And yes. My Mag still works. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Edit: Now that I've stared long enough at the timing procedure online... It doesn't seem too bad. Just time consuming.

But hey, I get like 5 hours free time every day. :p It owns being underage and under parental care.