PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people say words funny?

beam
10-24-2002, 09:40 AM
I'm sure someone has to have a reasonable explanation for this...but why do some people add an "er" to the end of words that end with an "uh" sound.

Examples:

Australia vs. Australi-er
trauma vs. traum-er
Africa vs. Afric-er

Can anyone explain this phenomen-er to me?

Thordic
10-24-2002, 10:10 AM
Because you mid-westerners cant speak english :)

beam
10-24-2002, 10:15 AM
ouch.

Well, I did learn how to say chowda instead of cowdeR.

It's good to know AO is a valuable educational tool.

*Wait a minute! That's the opposite of this issue!* :D

The investigation continues...

Thordic
10-24-2002, 10:24 AM
We should get a recording of Wyn talking when he's drunk.

Theres a classic accent :)

Anyone remember the mom from Bobby's World? :)

spazzed
10-24-2002, 12:06 PM
Dontcha kno!

beam
10-24-2002, 12:59 PM
Yadderhey! = Yeah, there hey!

Ya wanna go hunting, hey!

Up north, i.e. MN ND, they always put "hey" at the end of sentences instead of at the beginning.

NOT Hey, do you want to go hunting?
BUT Ya wanna go hunting, hey?

lol, but that still isn't as bad as pronouncing sounds that don't even come close to being part of a word.

warpfeedmod
10-24-2002, 01:25 PM
my friends wife is from WI, she calls it Soda POP. I call it coke (generic term for all forms of soft drink). Some people call it cola. whats with that?

Hemlock86
10-24-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by warpfeedmod
my friends wife is from WI, she calls it Soda POP. I call it coke (generic term for all forms of soft drink). Some people call it cola. whats with that?

arrrrr, your both wrong! Its SODA!...... just Soda! Not POP, Not Coke.......SODA!

hehe, Unless your talking about Bacardi and Coke....then its COKE! :P

FutureMagOwner
10-24-2002, 02:01 PM
dont get me started on the infamous rhod dylan accent especcialy from those whackos from hopkinton

ronron2112
10-24-2002, 02:15 PM
My bio teacher is from New Jersey, and she says everyhting wrong.. like "mondee, tuesdee, saterdee" and she over pronunciates every syliable and vowell...

FordPrefect
10-24-2002, 02:59 PM
Yeah, like English people. That is an accent for ya.

I mean, they invented the language, why don't they speak it right?;)

BTW, I know that that was VERY unoriginal.

temps
10-24-2002, 03:07 PM
You guys call coke soda, we (canadians) call american beer soda. :D

ntn4502
10-24-2002, 03:17 PM
No such word as soda, its all pop!

Restola
10-24-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by ntn4502
No such word as soda, its all pop!
Agreed!

Thordic
10-24-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by ronron2112
My bio teacher is from New Jersey, and she says everyhting wrong.. like "mondee, tuesdee, saterdee" and she over pronunciates every syliable and vowell...

She must be from south jersey, they aren't too up on the schoolin' down there ;)

Hemlock86
10-24-2002, 04:00 PM
Im from NJ and my Mom grow up there too(Linden area). She says Mondee instead on monday too... But my wife makes fun of the way I say coffee and water. I say it Cawfee and Whaater....i guess.

potti
10-24-2002, 04:03 PM
then you have people that say calamar instead of calamari. and mozzarell, instead of mozzarella.

yeahthatsme
10-24-2002, 04:28 PM
peeps in colorado call soda "pop"

and their hardees are called carl juniors or something.

10-24-2002, 04:28 PM
Its zaples not zeppolis

tsc
10-24-2002, 06:21 PM
My English teacher is from St. Louis.

"warsh" (wash) "baeg" (bag) and "bawks"( box) are the best I've heard so far :)

She also slipped up once and said ," I'm gonna learn ya something.."

personman
10-24-2002, 06:24 PM
lol this kid in my scout troop calls breakfast breakfrest
lol we make fun of him for that :p

dave_p
10-24-2002, 08:59 PM
dont get me started on the infamous rhod dylan accent especcialy from those whackos from hopkinton

i played a gig in hopkinton once. what a collection of people there i tell ya.

You guys call coke soda, we (canadians) call american beer soda.

i just call canadian beer swill, covers em all in one word! ;)
ill agree, mass produced american beer just stinks. canadas massed produced beers are a little light for my tastes as well. we do have some talented craft brewers in the US and there are quite a few commercially available microbrews that are quite good.
my current favorite is a russian beer baltika extra 8.0% by volume, comes in a 22 oz bottle.

i had the opportunity to live in the north west corner of connecticut for a while. everone calls quarters quaters and ciggarettes weeds. the liquor store is "the packy"

Trigger_Happy
10-25-2002, 12:03 AM
Don't go saying that minnesotan's have wierd accents or say "hey" all the time. We talk all proper like midwesterners (aka we have no lazy drawl), but we don't talk different than any body from any other midwest state.

Have you ever hear of the the UP in MI? That's where they ACTUALLY talk like MN are "supposed" to.

"yaaa, we be goin' to dat dare barn raisin'" (mispronounce every vowel, and you are half way to getting the full accent)

SGTKennedy
10-25-2002, 01:10 AM
yup. we dont talk like that, hey. get in da boot. let goo fishin.

beam
10-25-2002, 08:19 AM
You two Minnesotans need to hop on I-94, take it aboot 4 hours northwest and then you'll know what I'm talking about. :D

Yes, I know that you guys in the cities ("the cities" if you live in MN, IA, SD, ND, or WIS means Minneapolis/St Paul) don't talk any different from us Iowans. In fact, I agree that here in the midwest, we have one of the best accents for the English language. But that's just me. :)

Now, if you get up around the Fargo-DL-Grand Forks area...that's what I'm talking aboot, hey.

Cliffio
10-25-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Sarah
My English teacher is from St. Louis.

"warsh" (wash) "baeg" (bag) and "bawks"( box) are the best I've heard so far :)

im from the st. louis area and i say worsh:) not warsh
bawks is another one

yeahthatsme- alot of people say pop, do a seach for it, i did a poll a long time ago, there were some interesting results, i might even have to dip that one back up
---maybe i didnt start it, but i remember it was my idea
anyways

Cliff

Can_Opener
10-27-2002, 08:24 PM
I'm from Southern WI, and I don't really think the accent here is hard to understand. Supposedly we do talk with quite a bit of nasality (really exaggerated n's and m's). Nothing like people in Missouri, who haven't discovered the letter r at the ends of words yet, or people in Texas that can't seem to open their mouth. Personally I cannot pronounce the double L sound correctly, it always sounds like a stupid w.