PDA

View Full Version : At-85

FordPrefect
10-24-2002, 04:39 PM
A guy on my paintball team is getting an AT-85, to use as his main marker. We have a tournament coming up, and he plans to use it. Please help me get some info, because I don't think that it is a good marker for tournaments.

Or, if I'm wrong, tell me. But I've heard some bad things about them.

PolishSausage
10-24-2002, 04:44 PM
I've seen only a few in action to this date, but from what I've seen they've been pretty reliable. Trigger looks really heavy though, not sure how fast he could shoot in semi-auto with that thing.

I'm not sure of the company name who makes the marker, however I know in recent past their main website has been shut down, I'm not sure if they went out of business or they just switched sites. Good luck.

-Tyler

yeahthatsme
10-24-2002, 04:44 PM
what is he replacing with it?

56kSomeGuy
10-24-2002, 04:48 PM
Thoes guns aren't that bad i have shot one before it's just like shooting a tippy with major upgrades. The bad things about it are that it is very loud and he better keep it well tuned or the clip will sometimes not feed correctly. Not really sure i can tell you any thing else about it since i only held it for a couple minutes.

Also I'm not sure it is turney legal since of the select fire modes.

56kSomeGuy
10-24-2002, 04:51 PM
Check out their website they got some awesome real gun looking pb guns: http://www.adtacsys.com/

Halliday
10-24-2002, 04:51 PM
There was a guy at my home field trying to Rec-ball with one last month. After about an hour of trying to get it to work he gave up and pulled out a M98.

The AT seemed too finicky for me to trust.

FordPrefect
10-24-2002, 05:18 PM
He is replacing a BE Raptor, but he has $500 to spend on a marker. He doesn't want to get the hopper adapter either, but he says that holding 85 paintballs will be okay for a tournament. I can't convince him be myself.

PolishSausage
10-24-2002, 05:22 PM
With $500 to spend he could get something MUCH better. Mag, MiniMag, Cocker, Impulse, etc....

C'mon knock some sence into this guy!

-Tyler

Jack & Coke
10-24-2002, 05:24 PM
I saw a show about future guns on the History Channel last night.

Towards the end of the show they showed clips of "non-lethal" weapons. They demonstrated the AT-85 on FULL-AUTO shooting balls filled with pepper and CS powder/gas. The target trash can never stood a chance!;)

Really neat stuff...

56kSomeGuy
10-24-2002, 05:28 PM
If he has 500 tell him to get a impy, bushey, mag, or any other nice gun. The at-85 is fun to have but in the long run it is not really the choice for turney play.

shartley
10-24-2002, 05:33 PM
My opinion?

Did you say you played “Rec or Scenario”, or was this for Tournaments? ;) Of course if you ALL showed up to a tourney with them, you could possibly win because the other teams were laughing so hard. :D

No offense, but I would rather enter a tourney with my Son’s TL Plus than that Scenario Marker. Plus, if I wanted to shoot an M-16 and play War, I would do so….. When I play paintball, I play paintball. ;) I think you get my point. Playing with markers like that are like putting on full football gear to play Nintendo… ;)

(Added for quick ref.)
http://www.getrealpaintball.com/images/at85_tactical.jpg

FordPrefect
10-24-2002, 05:33 PM
I heard from somewhere that you had to do maintaince every 500 shots. What kind of maintaince?

And, geez I'm getting fast replies.

FalconGuy016
10-24-2002, 06:03 PM
I did a lot of research, the new 2002 models almost completely fixed all previous issues with this gun and its a GREAT gun now,

It is tournament legal it has a lock for the select fire.

I am not sure how fast semi auto would be, but there is a trigger mod kit that reduces the distance by half and makes the trigger lighter

The front clip is like putting a new clip in, you can carry them with you where you normally would have pods, you just slide in the clip

Its an amazingly reliable gun now I heard, but a very high maintinance marker
And I am not sure how the size would work out for tournament, personally though it wouldnt matter for me, but there are almost NO upgrades at all which is my main deterent

Its a high performance marker and its NOT just a scenario marker I hate it when people refer to it as just a scenario gun

oh and the accuracy is supposed to be amazing
view some short videos of it here
http://www.unitedpaintball.com/MainPages/AT85video.htm

shartley
10-24-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
Its a high performance marker and its NOT just a scenario marker I hate it when people refer to it as just a scenario gun

Walk like a duck, talk like a duck....

How about this? High Performance Scenario Marker? ;) I am sorry, when a marker resembles a real fire arm, I will call it a Scenario Marker. And that has no negative connotations as to performance… just its use.

FalconGuy016
10-24-2002, 06:14 PM
Yes, thanks shartly, I think though there are negative connotations with "scenario gun"

the picture you posted is a scenario-ised at-85 though :)
with the A2 (?) handle/sight rail, the sight triange on the barrel, and the stock

shartley
10-24-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
Yes, thanks shartly, I think though there are negative connotations with "scenario gun"

the picture you posted is a scenario-ised at-85 though :)
with the A2 (?) handle/sight rail, the sight triange on the barrel, and the stock
For me, it is all about time and place. Its all good. But I don't personally think realistic looking markers belong in every day use... but to each their own.

And Scenarios are GREAT! And they are even better if your marker is great as well. Scenario does not have to mean "crappy marker", nor should it. :)

Here is the other picture they use on their site...

http://www.getrealpaintball.com/images/at85_car.jpg

FalconGuy016
10-24-2002, 06:55 PM
They are cool :)

If there was misudnerstanding I meant that there ARE bad connitations with scenario guns but I dont have any personally, unless it really is a crappy gun :)

but a lot of people do for scenario guns in general :) thats what I meant, sorry about thinking you did

FalconGuy016
10-24-2002, 06:59 PM
Make sure you get the 2002 MODEL if your teammate buys it

Mossman
10-24-2002, 07:38 PM
A buddy of some kids i play with bought a AT-10 recently. I think they're pretty similar.

1st off - the mag's are pains in the butts, the pins bend and stuff and his broke paint sometimes. They are also expensive. 75 dollar pods? ya...right.

That said, they are very cool. They are extremely light, but on semi i could definately shoot a bone stock mag quicker.

Personally, I'd rather have a nice spyder than an AT-85 for tourney play.

Here's a good way to convince him....tell him he cant play in the tourneys with it :)

FalconGuy016
10-24-2002, 07:47 PM
The AT-10 has those 25 round clips that cost 70$ because of the chain mechanism in it ( that makes the AT feed so reliable and fast)

The AT-85 front clips are 11$ and hold 60 rounds and easily slide on, no bending pins
I think getting the 10 would be a pretty bad choice because of the expensive 25 round clip only and a hopper extension would make the gun REALLY front heavy I think

2002 mags have been improved a lot too,

magman007
10-24-2002, 08:07 PM
there highly illegal, since there fa capable in tournaments, also the nppl rules say no force feed, and that was to eliminate the at series. Cant play a tourny with it, so tell him not to waste his time

FordPrefect
10-24-2002, 08:15 PM
Okay, thanks. I might just tell him to look at this thread, or I might just tell him the stuff you guys said. Thanks for the info. If you have any more, do tell.

FalconGuy016
10-24-2002, 08:18 PM
Isnt the warp feed a force feed?

FordPrefect
10-24-2002, 08:34 PM
The warp is a force feed, but it is adaptable to all markers. The AT's had an "unfair advantage" because of the feed system, so the rules said that it had to be gravity feed only. And the warp needs the hoppers to use gravity to get the balls to the warp.

dansim
10-24-2002, 09:24 PM
if he wants an at-85 i dont see nppl anywhere near this team magman;)

Mantis
10-24-2002, 11:47 PM
AT10 and AT85 are the same marker, just different bodies. They both use the same removable magazine - the loader under the barrel on the AT85 feeds paint into the magazine which is then picked up by the little chain. You can also get a normal loader adapter magazine which allows you to put any normal paintball loader on the left side of the marker, which again feeds into the magazine.

These things *can* be a pain, but they can also be a dream. I had a TS1 (made by Tagline before ATS bought them out, or maybe just bought the design). During a friendly game, I ended up going onto the field with 12 rounds, got 4 eliminations and had to shoot two of those guys twice. I never had any problems with the TS1, even though I was "supposed" to, since I was running CO2 in somewhat cold temperatures, then when I got my AT10 and had tons of problems, but I also had some wierd mods done to it so that might be the problem. A friend of mine bought an 85 and has been ripping it up on full auto like crazy with no problems.

One other excellent feature - they are LOUD. On full auto, I'm fairly certain this is the loudest paintball marker. You can totally scare the bejeezus out of people when you get the drop on them, and sometimes when you don't - I've litteraly made people jump.

Mossman
10-24-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Mantis
One other excellent feature - they are LOUD. On full auto, I'm fairly certain this is the loudest paintball marker. You can totally scare the bejeezus out of people when you get the drop on them, and sometimes when you don't - I've litteraly made people jump.

Forget making them jump, the AT-10 makes me jump every time i try to shoot it!

FalconGuy016
10-25-2002, 07:23 PM
omg... they made a rule against something like that??!!! and how is the warp feed going to perform any less than the at-85!!

thats so terrible!!

magman007
10-26-2002, 09:57 AM
ok, look up about 5 replies....... It just said The warp uses garvity to get the balls into it so that it can feed.......Dont you people read?

FalconGuy016
10-26-2002, 11:24 AM
if you read what I said I obviously did read it and I was just mad at it

Paintchucker
10-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Biggest downside seems to be # rounds before reloading. Sorry, but I don't think that gun would be a good match for the typical "paint slinging" that goes on in tournaments...

FordPrefect
10-26-2002, 03:13 PM
Yea, thanks guys. Me and another guy on the team convinced him to get something else. He is thinking about a Cocker or Impulse.