PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make knee/shin pads that DONT SLIP!!

Smokee_2_7
10-25-2002, 12:38 AM
Why is it that most 'made for paintball' knee and or shin pads slip down when I slide into a bunker? I have personally used both RASE pads (those were terrible) and most recently REDZ pads. (a bit better. . )

Other comments from players tell me the same thing about other companies pads.

I used some Rollerblade kneepads (with a hard knee cup) for over 2 years. They were great. NEVER slipped off my knees while sliding. And I slide HARD.

I noticed that the knee pads i had been using seemed to come up higher over my knee where the top velcro strap was. I seem to think that this had to do whith what helped keep them in place so well.

However, now the hard knee cups have cracked (finally) and Im in the market for some new stuff.

While at practice tonight (and wearing some M sized reds knee pads) we ran some sliding drills. I had the pads on under my pants. out of the slides I made that were NOT perfect about 70% were due to the knee pads slipping a bit. When I hit the ground on them, they tended to 'catch' on the ground. This would jerk them about 3 inches down from where I had them tightened off, and sometimes cause me to spill over, or just to tumble.

I'm sure it was a funny sight: other than tumbling all over the field, I had to drop my pants about every 5 minutes, and re-position the kneepads. This is obvioulsy somthing that I can not do during a game.

I'm thinking that some strong, high quality pads that come up at least 3-4 inches ABOVE the top of my knee should stay in place when I hit the dirt.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Carl

spazzed
10-25-2002, 12:51 AM
I do have one very Shartley-like suggestion ;)

Search. I KNOW there was a thread about this same thing recently. I wanna say Load SM5 started it, but I'm not sure on that. GL :D

banzaimf
10-25-2002, 01:47 AM
Pro Tec skatemoarding pads... A little overkill, but they won't move :D

Dubstar112
10-25-2002, 06:25 AM
Ive had great experiences with the JT emotion guards. I wear them over my clothes, because that way they take the impact, and becaues the JT's have a special pivot that extends with your leg.

oldsoldier
10-25-2002, 07:34 AM
what they need to do, and Dye touched on it, is design a pair of shorts that extend just beyound your knee...like baseball or football pants. Put the kneepads in them...thats where the problem is. You slide, the knee pads end up on your shins...they need to be secured from above the knee. I am at the point where I dont bother, unless the playing field is real bad. I HATE the feeling of pads that skootch too low.

TheTramp
10-25-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Dubstar112
Ive had great experiences with the JT emotion guards. I wear them over my clothes, because that way they take the impact, and becaues the JT's have a special pivot that extends with your leg.

I've also had good luck with these. I wear them over my pants and they seem to stay in place very well. Of course I'm a back player so I don't do a huge amount of sliding. I used to wear Redz knee pads and those moved around pretty badly.

dmonahan
10-25-2002, 09:59 AM
I use mountain bike knee/shin gaurds. You might want to check them out. About 1/2 the price and never slip.

ttoad4000t
10-25-2002, 10:57 AM
You could try ice hockey shin/knee pads, I saw a pic of someone wearing them, and it looks like it works pretty good...

battlegroup
10-25-2002, 11:23 AM
One thing I have found that works: go to Lowes/home depot and go to the paint/adhesive section. Look for a spray can call SUPER GRIP. It's made by a company called Performix. They also make Plasti dip. That's the stuff you dip your tools into to put a coat of platic on the handles. The Super Grip is designed to be sprayed on fabric and it creates a rubberized layer to prevent it from slipping. I sprayed it on the inside of the kneepads and I use them on the outside of my pants. The rubber helps grab onto your pants so they don't slide down when you slide. depending on the type of material your pants are made of you might want to spray some on you pants as well. make sure you tape off the areas you don't want the stuff on and then spray a small area. You may have to put more than one coat. The stuff stays flexible but it does stiffen the pants if the layer is too thick. You will have to wear pants that fit wwell or a belt or your pants will be around you ankles. If you don't want to try this I have also used black hockey tape to tape my pads on.

covadsucks
10-25-2002, 11:34 AM
If you can, get some RECTOR FATBOY knee pads from your local skateboard shop. They are expensive, but good knee protection usually is. Nicely padded and don't budge with a large knee slider cap.

joeyjoe367
10-25-2002, 11:38 AM
I've heard that the pivoting section on the E-motion pads can snap, leaving you with a pair of nothing.

Anyone have experience with these things? is there anything you can do IF they break?

hehe, I bet if AGD came out with Kneepads, they'd be made of SS : "Never breaks, never wears out" :D

OutRage86
10-25-2002, 12:13 PM
My friend uses the JT emotion shin guards and personally, i like them too. IN fact after im done typing im ordering a pair from action Village. there only like 44 $ so thats not a bad price. They also have a bunch of small foam peices insiide the knee so you can unattach them and put them where you have more pressure on your knee. thats pretty cool. ALso they seem to NEVER fall off or slide down on him.

xen_100
10-25-2002, 12:24 PM
I use the SP renegades, they work very well and dont slip around.

Smokee_2_7
10-25-2002, 07:21 PM
- - did a search ( a couple searches, actually ) And didnt find too much in the way of useful info in them. For the most part, just people saying how the "x" brand pad slides down. As for those that say their paintball pads dont slide, Im tending to think that they don't slide as hard as many of us do. With the redz pads i wore tonight, I might have been able to get 1 good slide out of them before they slipped and messed me up. lol, I guess that means that in a real game, I can slide into my primary- - and after that I better expect to butcher my way into any other bunkers(or get butchered on the way. . .)

The only paintball pads that I have not heard anything bad about(as far as slippage) are the DYE pads. The downside to that is that my team may be picking up sponsorship from redz soon.

I did notice that it looks as if Redz has re-designed their shin/ knee combo. Hopefully it is an improvement over the previous design. I may wait and see if I can score a pair of those in a small, (ya know, with me being 6'0", 185lbs you wouldn't think i would need a small. . . ) but the M's that I wore today. . .. I could pull the straps past where the velcro would catch.

If the redz stuff dosent live up to what I need it for, I'll try the Dye's.

If THOSE dont' work, Ill head back into the realm of skateboarding pads.

rjvemt1
10-25-2002, 08:35 PM
TRACE softball kneepads are excellent. ive been using them for pb for about ten years and havent even thought of switching.

but before you go spend money on pads instead of paint, let me make a suggestion. your pads arent slidding 'down' they are slidding 'back'! when you hit the ground your lower leg(the one under you) is too close to being parralel with the direction you are moving, so the ground makes your pad slide back. when you practice, try keeping the bottom foot tucked behind the knee of your extended leg instead of under your butt. this keeps your shin(and pad) perpendicular to the direction your body is moving and doesnt give the pad anywhere to slide to. you may end up with bruises on the backs of your thighs and butt doing this, all you need is a pair of 'sliders shorts' these are knee-length 'boxers' with pads on the backs of the thighs and butt so that you dont need to land on you lower leg when you slide.