PDA

View Full Version : shining up a barrel

fiendkuja
10-25-2002, 01:32 AM
i just bought a stainless barrel. inside it is in awesome condition but on the outside i has a bunch of minor dings. is there any easy way to polish it up? i've got alot of sandpaper etc but i dont wanna hurt the barrel. any ideas

damageinc54
10-25-2002, 02:16 AM
Send it to my buddy DJ Gruv. He will polish it up nice for ya ;) He polishes barrels to a mirror finish.

yeahthatsme
10-25-2002, 08:05 AM
send it to one of the people that do it:D that was quite the description eh?

anyways, ask around at your local hardware store.

shartley
10-25-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Remington
Go to a hardware store and get the following:

220 Grit Automotive Wet/Dry Sand Paper
400 Grit Automotive Wet/Dry Sand Paper
600 Grit " " " "
800 Grit " " " "

Procedure: Fill up a big Rubbermaid container with warm water (cold works good too but i prefered the warm water). Take your mag body and the 220 grit paper and start sanding the body UNDERwater for about 15-20 minutes. Sand lightly, not too hard. After the 15-2 minutes the beadblasted grey coat should be gone. If not go back and continue sanding. When the grey coat is gone wipe down the body with a towel. Go over to a light source and look to see if there are any more grey sections on the body (i.e. near the powerfeed weld, etc.) Then, take the 400 grit and the body and go back underwater and continue sanding the body for 15-20 mintues. Sand a little bit harder than before but not too much. When that is done you should start to notice the body gets more shiny. Continue with sanding but go to the 600 grit and continue for 20 minutes. Depending on how shiny you want your body you can continue on to the 800 grit and sand for another 20-30 minutes. If you want it really, really shiny you can even go up to 1000, 2000, and 3000 grits, but I stopped at around the 600-800 level because I liked the chrome level that I had. Hope this helped. PM me with any questions.

Paintchucker
10-25-2002, 12:46 PM
If you have one or know someone that does, Dremel makes a Polishing Kit for about $12. More expensive than sandpaper, but well worth the time saved...

Another idea would be to take it to a golf repair shop and have them put it on one of their polishers that they use to refinish golf club heads. Probably cost you less than $5 and take about 5 minutes...

fiendkuja
10-25-2002, 01:13 PM
i have the equipment, and figured i could do it while bored or something