PDA

View Full Version : have any of you guys ever seen this!

dansim
10-25-2002, 08:24 AM
<a href="http://www.automags.org/forums/search.php?s=" target="_blank"><font color="red">Amazing!!!(click me)</font></a>

really guys all the Search post are getting old and you know what i dont give a damn that this has been covered

RamboPreacher
10-25-2002, 08:32 AM
[RP Soap-box rant mode]
Speaking as a newbee to this forum, and having tried teh search function many times, I am offended at your post and this kind of attitude
i dont give a dman that this has been coveredis one of the reasons I don't go to some of the "other" forums.

I appologise if I am misunderstanding your post, but it is extremely terse and non-explanatory, so I can only assume that it meanst that you are saying that (especially new) people should use the search method before posting anything.

you know what? I do give a darn, and as a moderator on other forums I thinnk that having patience for newbies is a fundamental trait that makes for a "good" forum.

This forum is highly active and the only suggestion I can make that might make it easier is to increase the number of posts that display per page, so that we, the noobees, don't get the dreded "SecondPage-itis".
[/RP Soap-box rant mode]

shartley
10-25-2002, 08:57 AM
RP

I think his post has to do with the massive amounts of posts lately about things already discussed not only many times in the past couple days, but at great length as well. I would not only suggest folks use the search feature, but at least at a minimum scan the first two pages of threads reading the titles only. Many times you will find that what you are looking for is right there in the open… and pretty easy to find.

We also go through swings…. And one such swing is repetitive questions. Those members who HAVE been around for some time tend to get more aggravated about it than those who have just started posting. And this is simply because the newer folks have not had to deal with it for very long. It is like the Chinese Water Torcher… a couple drops of water on your forehead is nothing much… but compound that over time and you will go crazy. Thus is the way of the “search” issue. ;)

I too Moderate for other Forums.. :D And I would still suggest for folks to use any Search Feature the forum has to offer. ;) But I know that I not only suggest using the Search Feature, but try to show them HOW as well. But far too often people just don’t care….. and that is as much of a problem (if not MORE so) than those who rudely just blurt out to “DO A SEARCH!”.

We can also think of it like this… If the shoe fits.. if not…. ;) Clearly you use, or attempt to use, the Search Feature. And at times it CAN be hard to find what you are looking for. However, all we ask is that folks TRY. It looks as if YOU indeed DO try…. So why get upset at a comment obviously not aimed at you? ;)

dansim
10-25-2002, 09:02 AM
actaully i was talking to the "vetrans" and all the quick do a search for it post ive seen, this morning alone i saw 7 posts with the word search in it as a reply...blah blah blah its all been covered blah blah blah searh for it...jeeze man if all you do is say search for it i mean its kinda pointless at least maybe be helpful and give a link to what the search results would be or dont say anything its really not that hard... this post was aimed at everyone not just new people, i thought a new guy could come in here and say hey look there is a search feature, and all the older guys would get the hint it is getting old

shartley
10-25-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by dansim
actaully i was talking to the "vetrans" and all the quick do a search for it post ive seen, this morning alone i saw 7 posts with the word search in it as a reply...blah blah blah its all been covered blah blah blah searh for it...jeeze man if all you do is say search for it i mean its kinda pointless at least maybe be helpful and give a link to what the search results would be or dont say anything its really not that hard... this post was aimed at everyone not just new people, i thought a new guy could come in here and say hey look there is a search feature, and all the older guys would get the hint it is getting old
I agree. And I for one try to not only direct them to the information they need, but show them HOW I got it. I am hoping that by doing BOTH it MAY reduce the amount of times I have to do either. ;)

RamboPreacher
10-25-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by shartley
RP
[clip] It looks as if YOU indeed DO try…. So why get upset at a comment obviously not aimed at you? ;) Because I am a paintball advocate and a self appointed abassador for paintball players. I find that posts like that can deter new players/posters from comming back.

I look at it like this, as an analagy... We go play som rec ball. the teams seem to be even in numnbers, but on one side is the "tourney-dudes" with the JAE's and the other side is mostly noobees that have never played before (or very little). bam the whistle blows and the "tourney dudes" run up and whay-lay all over the noobies that are cowering behind their bunkers, getting slautered and bunkered.

I have seen tha scenario time and time again and what happens is that the new players become ex-players. Their first experience is a bad one and to them "it will always be that way".

So, that's why I get upset at something not obviously pointed at me. If We don't defend the unborn children, who will (please take this statement in a Paintball context)?

shartley
10-25-2002, 09:10 AM
RP
I understand…. But I think the pendulum can swing too far in either direction. ;)

dansim
10-25-2002, 09:12 AM
why do unborn children need defending?:eek:

RamboPreacher
10-25-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by shartley
RP
I understand…. But I think the pendulum can swing too far in either direction. ;) and I agree, though in this case I think the pendulum is defying gravity. :)

Like I had originally posted, and maybe I am jsut being to simple, but I think that the mods should just point to the other (recent) thread and then close/lock the new one. no harm, no foul. I think that it would get the point accross without all the comments, attitudes and general sense of frustration. (and believe you, me; I do empathise with the frustrations!)

shartley
10-25-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by RamboPreacher
and I agree, though in this case I think the pendulum is defying gravity. :)

Like I had originally posted, and maybe I am jsut being to simple, but I think that the mods should just point to the other (recent) thread and then close/lock the new one. no harm, no foul. I think that it would get the point accross without all the comments, attitudes and general sense of frustration. (and believe you, me; I do empathise with the frustrations!)
In a perfect world... ;)

But I agree that it would be easier to just post the link to the other thread and lock it, and I would if I could.... but alas I personally can't do that. ;) Also, I can only control what I personally post. And I do my best to not only point to the information asked for, but show how I GOT it. And if I at times make a side comment, so be it..... I feel that if I give help, I deserver at least that much. ;)

RamboPreacher
10-25-2002, 09:25 AM
absolutely, and it was you (your posts), that helped me better understand the search anyway. :)

Thanks.

shartley
10-25-2002, 09:31 AM
And all is well… :D

Thank you for not only understanding, but being able to continue a “debate” (of sorts) while maintaining civility. (Now everyone take a good look! :))

However, if you grab my hand and start singing “Kumbiyah”(sp?) I will be forced to thrash you with a wet noodle….. ;)

bofh
10-25-2002, 09:34 AM
why do unborn children need defending?:eek:

Great, bring up politics and religon in one swoop.

All you have to do now, is mention something about needing to defend unborn childern of any race (doesn't matter which one) and we'd have the complete forbidden trinity of subjects. :)

Seriously, how about.... this? People should to do searches before they post about something that's been discussed in detail,... and people also need to be polite when telling other people about doing searches.

Perhaps a standard politely worded "Do a search" post, with maybe a basic search of the terms included? Maybe Shartley's Opus (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53942) on search behavior should snuck in to the classic posts?

Paintchucker
10-25-2002, 01:02 PM
i dont give a damn

This may be exactly why people don't bother to use the search function. In this "me me, it's all about me" generation, it is easier to whine for an answer than work for it.

HoppysMag
10-25-2002, 01:13 PM
here what i have to say on the subject.... You give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. you teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time.:D think about it man!;)

TRIAD
10-25-2002, 01:42 PM
Give a man a fish he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime.
Enlighten him further and he open a seafood chain.

warpfeedmod
10-25-2002, 01:48 PM
I agree with Hoppy.

edit: Just because some people can't take a joke...

Perhaps this one is better Triad?

http://www.whatisthebinty.com/images/10-22-02/caring.jpg

TRIAD
10-25-2002, 02:01 PM
I absolutey despise that picture every time some jerk posts it. Remove it, it is completely inconsiderate.