PDA

View Full Version : I don't care if you don't search...

Moats
10-25-2002, 08:38 AM
Really to be honest when people reply to a post with "search" it gets kind of annoying. Granted they might not know what it is or how to do it, we could make it a sticky post. But if you think about it,mostly every question has been answered at one time or another. This is a message board not an encyclopedia. If everyone just did searches all the time, then there would be no need to post. Just lay off some people. WHen some one with 1 post comes and ask about the extreme's and get an ignorant response ot search, i would be more than drawn away from the board. Its a message board to help people. Just help them say your two sense. Or say "for more information there is a search feature that you could possibly use.." I don't care if someone ask you what an automag is they obviously don't know so don't treat them like they shoul be looking for a search feature...thats why they came hear... just my buck fiddy

RamboPreacher
10-25-2002, 08:47 AM
woohoo!!!!
[insert mental image of RP standing up and applauding]
Exactly my thoughts!

yeahthatsme
10-25-2002, 09:02 AM
[insert mental image of RP standing up and applauding]

i'm scarred.....for life.....

shartley
10-25-2002, 09:05 AM
I already responded to this on the other thread….

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54448

But isn’t it funny that those now complaining about folks asking others to DO searches are either new, or have low post counts? ;) Respect goes BOTH ways on this issue.

Also, this issue as it stands NOW, deals with repetitive questions on topics discussed a great deal in a short amount of time… NOT just random questions. It is the “Are we there yet?” affect. You can only get asked the SAME question so many times in a short period of time without “losing it”.

Again, it is not about how many times a question has been asked on AO… but how many times since YESTERDAY. ;)

Dayspring
10-25-2002, 09:06 AM
Then what about the guys who say "I did a search and couldn't find anything on the Extreme." It's like missing the elephant standing in the corner of the room. AKA- DUH! syndrome.

And don't tell me nobody knows how to search. They do it all the time on the internet. There's a button that clearly states "Search" and it works the same as any big search engine like Yahoo, Alta Vista or Google. I have no problems answering a question. I do it all the time. HOWEVER, it's the people that come in automatically saying "I did a search and didn't find anything about what a retro valve does." that get to me.

Let's be somewhat realistic and not baby people. Americans are more computer and internet savvy than they ever were.

dansim
10-25-2002, 09:14 AM
i think the word seach is over used so i suggest we use teh word llama, why dont you llama for it
http://www.automags.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=127844&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending look at all teh posts with the word search in it

shartley
10-25-2002, 09:42 AM
Maybe THAT is what YUB means!!!!! ;)

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=479052

HeeHee

RamboPreacher
10-25-2002, 09:47 AM
llama, llama, llama! [RP displays his "I touched a llama pin]
bwahahahaa

llama is kind of fun to say. Almost as fun as the word obey. obey, obey, obey. :D

shartley
10-25-2002, 09:52 AM
I always liked “giraffe” for some reason. :)

RamboPreacher
10-25-2002, 09:57 AM
let's see...
giraffe, giraffe, giraffe.

well, dosn't do it for me. I wonder how far off topic we have to get before a thread gets closed or deleted or whatever? I personally like the faux-smoke flavoured spamm the best; though original spamm is good if you fry up a slab with some olive oil and a covering of cyanne peper.

shartley
10-25-2002, 10:02 AM
Now you did it! You mentioned SPAM!

Check THIS out. :D

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26850

Dayspring
10-25-2002, 10:10 AM
You boys have some time on your hands don't you? ;) Me? I'm just slacking off. :D

Restola
10-25-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by shartley
Again, it is not about how many times a question has been asked on AO… but how many times since YESTERDAY.
Agreed!

yeahthatsme
10-25-2002, 10:13 AM
[RP displays his "I touched a llama pin]

my phsyciatrist(sp?) isnt gonna like this.....

shartley
10-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Dayspring
You boys have some time on your hands don't you? ;) Me? I'm just slacking off. :D
LOL shhhhhhhh Another long week. I have the morning planned for slacking.... and then I have the afternoon scheduled to spend alone with my 2 year old daughter. :D

Miscue
10-25-2002, 10:30 AM
I've been the new guy at other non-paintball forums, and it peeves me when someone tells me to do a search. It takes same amount of time just to answer question.

"How dare you ask such an elementary question that we all know the answer to!"

You gotta start somewhere.

Refine your search! To what? If you know what you're looking for then sure... but often those with questions don't know what they are looking for really... which is what happens when you're new at something. I think this applies to everybody.

shartley
10-25-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Miscue
I've been the new guy at other non-paintball forums, and it peeves me when someone tells me to do a search. It takes same amount of time just to answer question.

"How dare you ask such an elementary question that we all know the answer to!"

You gotta start somewhere.

Refine your search! To what? If you know what you're looking for then sure... but often those with questions don't know what they are looking for really... which is what happens when you're new at something. I think this applies to everybody.
I visit many non-paintball forums as well. And most of them I am not an official member of… and you know why? Because most of the time, when I have a question, I LOOK and see that it has not only been asked, but answered as well.

I fully understand about being new… but you, along with many others have missed the point of it all….. it is NOT only about searching, or asking questions that have been asked before….. it is about asking the SAME question asked just a few minutes ago (or just yesterday), and then asked by about 5 other people in the same time frame.

We are talking apples and oranges here… yes it is nice to be PC, but it is better to be talking about the same things. Sorry Miscue, what you are talking about is not quite what the issue is…. For ME anyway.

spazzed
10-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Thank-you Sam. You said exactly what I wanted to say, only MUCH nicer :D

I don't mind answering questions. Like many of you, I try to help out whenever I can. But lately, people have been asking the Exact same questions, over & over again, and quite frankly, it's starting to piss me off. I'm not mad at the people, well, not much, but more or less annoyed at seeing the same thing keep coming up in such a short period of time.

magman007
10-25-2002, 12:23 PM
Guys, The famous quote of mine in E==magmans sig is this "I mean sheesh, if your going to write a book on searching, you might as well write a paragraph about the answer."

I stand by this whole heartedly, and i do the same, i give the person the answer, then kindly and politely ask him to search.

I also thing there needs to be monthly search tests for ao.. You should gt a test, and have to reply in specific areas(you have to search for the area, and for the next one) with the link. THere fore all Aoers are up to par... Also, a search test for new members...