PDA

View Full Version : Legal issues of playing pb on public land or a national reserve. What can a cop do??

OrangeDude
10-29-2002, 09:25 PM
Hi,

Me and some friends usually have to drive about 50+ miles to the closest fields in santa cruz or vallejo. Just last week my friend noticed that there was a small strip of woods right next to the freeway a few blocks from our houses. He took me there and it was nice!!! There is one house on a far side of it, far from where we are gonna play though. And the free way is right next to it but is shielded by trees. Whats the consequences of getting caught playing there. I'm pretty sure we arent' supposed to be there sinced its fenced up, but we wanna play! Does anybody know if police can confiscate your markers and equipment. And if they do is there a way to get them back? I'm not worried if a cop shows up and gives us a ticket and warning i'm just afriad the cop might take our prescious gear. Also there is a sign somewhere in there marking a pge gas pipeline.

yeahthatsme
10-29-2002, 09:29 PM
dont play there. you can easily get your stuff taken away and get a fine and or jail time. you need to find a privatly owned place and get permission to play there. thats the only way you can be close to risk free.

also if you get caught you will raise anti-paintball feelings in your town and thats no good.

Ov3rmind
10-29-2002, 09:32 PM
Here's an idea, don't play there. It's public land, and they sure don't want you playing paintball on it. Plus, if someone sees you playing, there's a good chance they'll freak out and call the cops (some outlaw players have had cops draw real guns on them). Just play at your feild, where paintball is meant to be played. Also, if it's fenced up (and you're obviously not supposed to be there), you can add tresspassing to charges that may be brought against you.

Mango
10-29-2002, 09:47 PM
Since I will be going into the police academy soon, this topic is of great interest to me. I hope I can help you out. Under the tresspassing laws for California, San Francisco county, the following is stated:

Simple trespass is committed when someone:

Knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, enters or remains in any place to:

Threaten or terrorize the owner or occupant of the premises;

Start or cause to be started any fire upon the premises; or

Deface or damage the premises.

The last line is important because that is most likely what you would be charged with, some sort of criminal tresspass, destruction of property summons, etc. It really depends on how "hard" the owner of the property wants to be, and how the officer/s want to handle the situation. They could confiscate your gear from you if they wanted, but I'm sure they arent supposed to by law. But, again, what is allowed by law and what discretionary measures they take are two different things. There is no guarentee. For all I know in CA they probably can take your stuff.

So, the maximum fine under Simple Tresspass:

Simple trespass is a summary offense, punishable by:

Imprisonment for up to 90 days;

A fine of $300; or

Both.

Is that worth playing bandit ball to you? I would drive the 50 miles and play LEGALLY. Because, not to be a flamer, it's when people/kids do these things that give people a bad taste of paintball. So please, play at a legal field, it's what they are there for.

Brak
10-29-2002, 09:50 PM
i play on public land all the time (they call us hickballers). we have had the cops called on us 3 times, but thats because it was on private property (golf course lol) and the neighbors were complaining.

but anyway, just get on the people's nice side, or dont play ANYWHERE near them. sure, theres a chance you will get caught, but thats a very slim chance as long as nobody calls it in (so get on the people who live near it's good side).

you guys are also blowing it way outta proportion, we have actually encountered the police, and all they do is take names down, etc. no confistation of equipment unless vandalism, disturbance, etc. is involved.

Mango
10-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Brak:
I blew nothing out of proportion, I said it's up to the DISCRETION of the officer and the owner of the property. Sure, there are lots of ways they can handle it, and you have had some luck in that department.

Kevmaster
10-29-2002, 10:04 PM
yep, play at a legal field or on private land with permission. i dont know what the local statutes are in your area, but i do know that federal land can not be played on. not to mention the tresspassing and other associated charges. dont risk it, really, its not worth it

LittMag
10-29-2002, 10:05 PM
I feel your pain man, I live in San Mateo (when I'm not in school) and my drive is the same as yours. I wouldn't do it simply because you're in the city. You can't get into an open space like Brak can and all it'll take is for someone passing on the freeway to spot you, or the person in the house to spot some people with "guns" running around to get some not so happy cops on you.

Tron
10-29-2002, 10:48 PM
I played with a few guys last week, who up until now never played on a field. For the last 2-3 years all they played was outlaw. They played in Pasadena and Highland park and have never been bothered. And if you get some jerk cop he might just take your gear to piss you off. But most of them are cool and will just tell you to get off the property if you're cool about everything.

There is also land in Whittier, CA that tons of people play on. It's official use is a City park but it is so big no one cares.

-Tron

raehl
10-30-2002, 02:07 AM
ever, ever, play paintball on land you do not have permission from the owner to be playing on.

You could get charged with tresspassing, shoot someone who doesn't expect to be there and be guilty of assault, get shot by a cop who doesn't know what you're doing, or get your pissed of neighbors to run to the local city council for a law that bans the possession of paintball markers altogether.

Usually if you ask nicely, it's not too hard to get permission to use some land that isn't used for anything else.

Oh, and paintball on federal lands isn't prohibitted, it's just (like everything else) prohibitted without permission.

- Chris

OrangeDude
10-30-2002, 02:42 AM
hey guys,
WOW i didn't expect so many responses so fast. Yeah everything you guys said makes sense. I just wanted to hear opinions and comments about the situation. Becuase you know if you were in the same situation you would be tempted too. Actually i moved 20 miles from sf to millbrae and the place is off 280 in burlingame in san mateo county. Hey littlemag its off trousdale burlingame exit. Its a small town close to the mountains. I don't know its just soo tempting. . . its not a big city and not too many ppl pass by there. I dont' know i'm still pondering . . . . ;)

oldsoldier
10-30-2002, 07:49 AM
They could, worst case scenario, depending on toen ordinances, get you with criminal trespass, posession of a weapon, any number of things. Plus, if its federal land, they can get you for even more. IF you decide to play, and an officer shows up, be very polite, and, for the love of god, dont move fast! Nothing scvares an officer more than seeing someone with what looks like a firearm (I know, to YOU it doesnt, but a cop coming to a call of possible kids with guns, HE will think it does).

shartley
10-30-2002, 08:01 AM
Yes, everyone is dead on (and thanks Mango ;))... YES your gear CAN be taken (it can also NOT be.. as Mango stated, many things are up to the officer). But the following is NOT accurate and a bit upsetting when I hear folks say things like it:

Originally posted by Tron
And if you get some jerk cop he might just take your gear to piss you off.
So.. YOU are the one doing something wrong, and it is the COP that is being a jerk for doing his/her job? And you think they would take your stuff just to piss you off? Come on now. :rolleyes: They have FAR more important things to do...... trust me.

"Hey John!"
"Yeah?"
"I can't belive it. I got the chance of a lifetime tonight."
"How so Frank?"
"You know that track of land by the power plant?"
"Yeah."
"Well, there were a bunch of kids playing Paintball there. And I took all their equipment! LOL It really pissed them off."
"Well, great job Frank! You know our goal is to piss people off."
"No kidding! Mark one down for the Cops! WooHoo!"
"So, who can we go piss off next?"
"I don't know, how about finding someone who is speeding and writing them a ticket?"
"Sounds like a plan.... after all, we really don't care about the fines, it is the Pissed Off factor we are looking for."
"Good enough.... so when one of us pulls over someone, make sure we call the other so we can BOTH be there. It will double the Pissed Off factor!"
"Sure enough... and don't forget to just sit around talking in our cars for 15 minutes before finally issuing the ticket. LOL"
"Dude! You read my mind!
"Well, let's get to it.. time stands still for noone.."

:rolleyes: Yeah... that's how it works.:rolleyes:

Mango
10-30-2002, 08:48 AM
$
$$
$$$
$$$$
$$$$$
$$$$$$
$$$
$$$
$$$

:D hahahaha!

LittMag
10-30-2002, 09:02 AM
Yeah Orange I know exactly where you're talking about, the land next to 280? I used to live just a block off of Trousdale before we moved the town over. Either way, you're bound to have someone see you if you play remotely close to Skyline and 280. Just goto Sherwood to play, I know the hour drive sucks, but the place is very cool and BYOP. BTW do you frequent any paintball shops in the Bay area? the closest one I know is Paintball Paradise and they charge an arm and a leg for everything.

-Litt

ShooterJM
10-30-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by shartley
"I don't know, how about finding someone who is speeding and writing them a ticket?"
"Sounds like a plan.... after all, we really don't care about the fines, it is the Pissed Off factor we are looking for."
"Good enough.... so when one of us pulls over someone, make sure we call the other so we can BOTH be there. It will double the Pissed Off factor!"
"Sure enough... and don't forget to just sit around talking in our cars for 15 minutes before finally issuing the ticket. LOL"
"Dude! You read my mind!
"Well, let's get to it.. time stands still for noone.."

I dunnoe Sam..... I'm pretty sure this happens every day! :D

Tack
10-30-2002, 12:11 PM
I guess I am one of those jerk cops that would take your markers away if I caught you. Not because it is the law but because every time the police are called to a paintball related call like kids playing in the woods without permission it just hurts the sport even more. Police calls and their resolutions are a matter of public record. Just think how easy it would be for an anti-paintball group to go to city hall and pull up all the paintball-related police calls to strengthen their argument. Would I keep the gear and not give it back? Probably not but I would require your parents, if you are under age, or you personally to come to the police station and pick it up in a few days.

Plus like oldsoldier said, some of our markers look like real guns and if someone sees you playing they will probably call it in as kids with "guns". If I am responding I will already be on red alert and ready for trouble. The last thing any officer wants to face is a accidental shooting because they thought they were being threatened with a real gun. I know of officers who have been in that situation and have lost their nerve and even killed themselves because of the guilt.

Do yourself and the sport a favor. Drive the 50 miles to the nearest field, I do.

Mango, if you need any advice on being a police officer just drop me a line, I would be glad to give you any I have.:D

OrangeDude
10-30-2002, 12:14 PM
ok ok i get the picture guys. Damn i'm convinced the consequences outweigh the benefits :( sigh reality sucks. . .
Anyways yeah LittleMag you know what i'm talking about right on skyline. Hey pm me your email or aim, or phone #. I usually play at my friendS private land in the santa cruz mountains. I know about 3 private fields up there owned by diff ppl that we know. Yeah paradise is a real ripp off. I actually have a personal hatred for them. I've seen them pull of amazin ripp-offs to ppl i know. Sadly one of them is my little brother who has a mental condition that doesn't make him too bright. He brought in a perfectly working marker into the store against my wishes and paid 10 bux for them to look at it and have them try to tell him that if he buys a new 100+ dye barrel from them the balls will travel farther. This is just one story out of many . . . The only thing i could do is to encourage ppl not to give them business. They are real scum with little respect for people. I even wanted to open my own store in san mateo but i don't have man power. Cuz they the only store here in the damn bay area besides I&I down in San Jose

shartley
10-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by OrangeDude
ok ok i get the picture guys. Damn i'm convinced the consequences outweigh the benefits :( sigh reality sucks. . .

LOL You think that just because you made the thread and your question was answered that folks will stop posting? ;) HeeHee This is AO... where threads have minds of their own... no matter how they were born. :D:D:D

Mwahhhh hahhh hahhh hahhhhhhhhh!!!! ;)

Tron
10-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Yes, everyone is dead on (and thanks Mango ;))... YES your gear CAN be taken (it can also NOT be.. as Mango stated, many things are up to the officer). But the following is NOT accurate and a bit upsetting when I hear folks say things like it:

So.. YOU are the one doing something wrong, and it is the COP that is being a jerk for doing his/her job? And you think they would take your stuff just to piss you off? Come on now. :rolleyes: They have FAR more important things to do...... trust me.

Ya actually it does there are jerk cops then there are cool cops. Have you ever gotten pulled over just because you were in a certain car. Pulled over because you are not white. Searched because hey you looked up to no good. I can say this about cops there are like 20 of them in my family and my dad is LAPD. He is one of the cool cops he would see people playing and say hey leave and don't do this again. Unless they were malicious and didn't respect what he had to say. Then they get their gear taken away. Sorry but you're not always right shartley, they would take things just to piss you off I have seen this first hand, and been told about it by other cops.

-Tron

BajaBoy
10-30-2002, 03:27 PM
i didnt read everything.. but ide do what i did, their is an old baseball field down the street but now noone uses it but for riding.. and we all asked the cops and they said yes unless something happens. Next year we are opin that field up for the town. Im going to get pix soon. thay are very nice speedball, woods, take over fields..

shartley
10-30-2002, 03:34 PM

Ya actually it does there are jerk cops then there are cool cops. Have you ever gotten pulled over just because you were in a certain car. Pulled over because you are not white. Searched because hey you looked up to no good. I can say this about cops there are like 20 of them in my family and my dad is LAPD. He is one of the cool cops he would see people playing and say hey leave and don't do this again. Unless they were malicious and didn't respect what he had to say. Then they get their gear taken away. Sorry but you're not always right shartley, they would take things just to piss you off I have seen this first hand, and been told about it by other cops.

-Tron
But of course you have. :rolleyes:

Look, there is good and bad in EVERY profession, but the things you just brought up have NOTHING to do with Paintball Gear Confiscation... sorry. It has to do with other issues totally unrelated and you bringing them up in this conversation is more than a bit off base.

Oh... And I can say this not because I have Police Officers in my family, but because I WAS one. This is not about me trying to "be right", it is about what "is". The chances of a Police Officer taking anyone's gear JUST to piss them off is so slim it is laughable.... which is what I did in my other post. :rolleyes: Think what you like...... you obviously will.

(Note: there is too much paperwork involved in taking things for most Cops to even WANT to take crap just to piss people off..... LOL Most of the time they try to AVOID paperwork.. LOL)

Tron
10-30-2002, 03:39 PM
I was there when they took gear away and have heard of several incidents where they did it again. There were also some cops who came to the same outlaw field who did nothing and even talked paintball with them. Who said they had to fill out paperwork if they do something especially if they want to piss you off. Why aren't you a cop anymore by the way? I would like to see you argue between your wife and you. She is automatically right most of the time being a women but then there is you.

-Tron

shartley
10-30-2002, 03:47 PM
I was there when they took gear away and have heard of several incidents where they did it again. There were also some cops who came to the same outlaw field who did nothing and even talked paintball with them. Who said they had to fill out paperwork if they do something especially if they want to piss you off. Why aren't you a cop anymore by the way? I would like to see you argue between your wife and you. She is automatically right most of the time being a women but then there is you.

-Tron
Look, that was totally asinine. Just because ALL Police Officers did not confiscate the equipment does not mean those that did did it for the reason of pissing anyone off. Get a clue. It is mostly Officer’s discretion in these cases unless the department has a set guideline for these things.

Who said they had to fill out paperwork? Are you kidding? And you said you had THAT many Police Officers in your family?

Why I am not a Cop any more is none of your business. LOL Draw from that what you want, you will probably be WAY off base, but so be it…..

And don’t bring my family into this. You may want to bring YOURS into a discussion to attempt to prove a point, but leave others’ out of it.

I was taking things light hearted, until NOW… either know what you are talking about, or let it be. That would dictate that you let this go….

(Edited part was typo corrections.)

nastymag
10-30-2002, 06:22 PM
yo orange ! there is a new store up in chinatown ! from what i haear its not very big but they got good prices on air and paint stuff like that.

hehe i got my own lil speedball field .. eveyr one knows we play there... so its cool.

oh and go to sherwood ! that place is great!

Tron
10-30-2002, 08:16 PM

Look, that was totally asinine. Just because ALL Police Officers did not confiscate the equipment does not mean those that did did it for the reason of pissing anyone off. Get a clue. It is mostly Officer’s discretion in these cases unless the department has a set guideline for these things.

They did it on purpose the other cops there said just to go home and let everyone keep everything. But one cop said no and took everything.

Who said they had to fill out paperwork? Are you kidding? And you said you had THAT many Police Officers in your family?

Yes everyone fills out paperwork and their are no crooked cops in this world thank god... :rolleyes:

Why I am not a Cop any more is none of your business. LOL Draw from that what you want, you will probably be WAY off base, but so be it…..

I wouldn't guess you would just feel free to change it or not bring it up.

And don’t bring my family into this. You may want to bring YOURS into a discussion to attempt to prove a point, but leave others’ out of it.

lol fine its not like I said your mamma was so fat or said something bad about your wife. I just want to know who wins arguments in your world.

I was taking things light hearted, until NOW… either know what you are talking about, or let it be. That would dictate that you let this go….

Just because something seems true to you in your experiences doesn't make it true for everyone else. I have first hand experience in everything we are taking about execept the crooked cops in the family.

shartley
10-30-2002, 08:28 PM
Okay, whatever...

One thing I should probably mention though is that just having a response to something is not being right, or actually proving anything. I still fail to see how anything you came back with proves your points. Not even your own words of what happened proved the Cops did it JUST to piss someone off. LOL

Like I said, you can think what you like. It is not like it really matters in the big picture. And our lives go on....

How about this? Peace. ;)

Tron
10-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Seriously I was tired of you after these posts but what you just said changed my mind. :D Peace bro and good talking to you. :cool: And lets just say you had to be there those few times.

-Tron

Spray Painter
10-30-2002, 09:09 PM
and the shartly vs. tron debate comes to a close...

anyway, i used to play at an remote undeveloped public pack that no one went to. we would go around and ask every single nieghbor if we could play there and they would all say yes. we would start playing and the cops would come and talk to us and we told them that the nieghbors said we could play here. it happened 4 times before some guy that lived down the street came over and told us we couldn't play because of the noise. so we just stopped playing there and found a new place on privet property. so now i either play on the privet property or at paintball jungle or sherwood forest(kind of local fields)i think you should go to sherwood forest because it's cool and you wouldn't have to think about the police getting mad at you and getting your equipment taken away.

raehl
10-30-2002, 09:36 PM
What's with all the LOL's? Did an AOL kiddie hijack your login?

- Chris

InfinatyBPS
10-30-2002, 09:39 PM
I want to be a cop so I can piss off :)
I actualy am thinking about being a police officer, so I have to say this; Blame the makers of the laws and yourself for putting you in jail, not the enforcers...

shartley
10-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by raehl
What's with all the LOL's? Did an AOL kiddie hijack your login?

- Chris
Um... nope. ;)

Hey, Chris, I have an E in my name!!!! :D

OrangeDude
10-30-2002, 10:24 PM

LOL You think that just because you made the thread and your question was answered that folks will stop posting? ;) HeeHee This is AO... where threads have minds of their own... no matter how they were born. :D:D:D

Mwahhhh hahhh hahhh hahhhhhhhhh!!!! ;)

umm im lost there Shartley i have no idea what you're referring too sorry :) . I was expressing the point taken,which was the consequences DO outweigh the benefits. I'm not saying "ok ok please stop replying let the thread die" haha. I guess you misinterpreted it :p . Hey Nasty pm me your email, aim or # we can hook up and play a little speed ball
:D
OH yeah what street is that store on anyways? Shoot i have to run around chinatown asking if they know where a paintball store is. The name would be fine too so i can look it up in the phone book thanks!

Boble86
10-30-2002, 11:14 PM
You could always just do what lots of ppl do when the police come. Its called runnin like nothing else and not looking back. Or have 4 wheelers cuz cops cant catch those well atleast not ours.

speedyejl
10-30-2002, 11:30 PM
If you ever do get caught or seen the best thing is just to be polite and friendly. Two years ago or abouts, I was playing on the "town bike path" (Its really just a long dirt road with woods on either side, which serves as an acces to a storm drain river, and access to one of the Long Island Rail Road lines) and a man walked by with ihs dog, as soon as we saw him, my friend who saw him first called stop game! We all basically stood up and put our barrel plugs in. The man actually looked impresed by how organized we were, and we chated with him breifly as he passed.

The point is that if we acted as some "punk a$$" teenagers and yelled him away or kept shooting and ignored him he might have ran away scared and called the police.

Also, my friend did get caught once by the police, they confiscated his euipment, searched him, and made him clean all the paint and broken shells. I'm not sure but I also think it got tacked on his JV record.

ogre55
10-31-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Boble86
You could always just do what lots of ppl do when the police come. Its called runnin like nothing else and not looking back. Or have 4 wheelers cuz cops cant catch those well atleast not ours.

Let me get this straight, you want someone to run from the cops when that have in thier possession a piece of equipment that may look like a firearm?

If you want to get chased by police, arrested, spend a night or two in jail until you are arraigned, then get convicted of resisting arrest, then follow Boble86's advise. Otherwise, when you see police, be nice, freindly and cooperative and you should be fine.

But don't take my word for it, would either of the police officers or retired officers on this thread like to explain what your reactions would be in these situations?

Ogre

shartley
10-31-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by ogre55
But don't take my word for it, would either of the police officers or retired officers on this thread like to explain what your reactions would be in these situations?

Honestly..... do you think it would help? ;)

All I will say is... DON'T.

Tom Sparkman
10-31-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Boble86

Here in SoCal not only do they have lots of helicopters but they also have 4xs and dirt bikes. LA county Sheriff's dept just bought some new ones - the officers in the unit volunteered to be on it. Seems they have their own bikes at home and love chasing the kids that think they can get away. :)

Tom

nastymag
10-31-2002, 09:51 PM
i havent been there so i dont know what street it is on ... i think its name is SFPAINTBALLCENTER..

i think thats its email to.

sure you if you wanted to drive all the way to San Anslemo ( well fairfax ) .. you could paly some paintball with us