PDA

View Full Version : First college interview tomarrow

FreshmanBob
10-30-2002, 02:44 PM
Got my first college interview tomarrow, kind of a reach for me but anyone got any good tips?

spazzed
10-30-2002, 02:58 PM
Honestly, relax and be yourself ;)

shartley
10-30-2002, 03:25 PM
Like was said… relax, and be yourself. It also pays to be respectful… but NOT kiss rear. Don’t slouch, hold your head up, look directly into their eyes… but don’t stare them down, there is a difference. SMILE.

Watch your verbiage. This does not mean to talk like a textbook, but keep in mind that they are not your buddies. Leave all slang, and common mispronunciations someplace else.

Dress well, but don’t over do it.

If it is at YOUR place, make sure you have something to drink handy.. for you AND them. Coffee is nice, but water and possibly a couple different types of popular soda work well too.

Bone up on facts about the school. They will obviously know about YOU, and they will expect you to know about their school.

Put on deodorant!!!!! ;) And if you decide to wear cologne, do it sparingly….. they should remember YOU, not your smell or that of your cologne.

Good luck. :)

ben_JD
10-30-2002, 03:31 PM
I don't know your tendancies, but refrain from using the following list of words:

Like (unless you are talking about girls or ice cream);
Dude;
Man;
Hella;
Idunno;
Yeah;
Nah;
etc.

Shower and wear a nice suit or at least some shirt with buttons on the front of it. You would be amazed how few do this.

I have sat through several college interviews (as interviewer), several law school interviews (as interviewer and interviewee) and in MANY job interviews (as interviewer and -ee) and you would be amazed at the power of negative impressions. These people will see a dozen or more people the same day, you do not want to make the list of people that they will easily strike from their list. You can do this be using words and phrases which make you sound ignorant or unserious. You can come in dressed as if you just fell off of your skateboard and make their decisions easy for them, also.

If you show up to the interview in a clean and presentable fashion (ON TIME) and prove that your vocabulary has progressed beyond the 6th grade playground, you have won half of the battle.

Now, relax, smile and react honestly to questions that are presented and actively interact with the interviewers. Chances are that these folks are graduates of the college. They want to answer questions about their alma mater just as much as they want to ask you questions about yourself. What did they like about the school? How do they think it has changed since they graduated?

Good luck and let us know how you did.

Moats
10-30-2002, 09:16 PM
relax its just college

FreshmanBob
10-30-2002, 10:08 PM
cool, thanks guys, like yeah, I dunno it should be hella cool dude man. :D

Thanks for the advice, figured there'd be some good advice and I appreciate it.

halB
10-30-2002, 11:06 PM
college interviews are really just to make sure your not some weirdo with plans of blowing stuff up. in a more serious tone, its just to make sure your normal. be presentable and dont talk fast. of course dont talk too slow.

bens got it down, follow his advice

Cliffio
10-30-2002, 11:27 PM
to add to ben, dont say Ummmmm.......

dont do that

Cliff

Koosh
10-31-2002, 12:18 AM
Make sure you know how to spell TOMORROW!

What college is it? Like the others said, unless it is some super-exclusive school, I don't think there will be a problem. I mean, I can't think of a place that WOULDN'T want me to give them my money!

FreshmanBob
10-31-2002, 01:46 PM
tomorrow? damn public education..

It was the steven's institute of technology, went pretty well i think, thanks for the advice again guys.

spazzed
10-31-2002, 04:28 PM
No problem bud, glad to hear everything went well ;)

Mango
10-31-2002, 06:55 PM
FreshmanBob: my best friend goes to Steven's, I'm up there all the time. That school is incredible, prepare to be pushed harder than you ever have (unless your some kind of genius). Washington St. is the best too, very chill place. You will probably live in Davis hall your first year, try to get into Tech Hall ASAP!

What are you going to major in? My buddy is Computer Engineering. If you need any advice or tips or have questions about classes up there just PM me, I'd be glad to help.

Oh, and watch out for the ENEU!!

http://attila.stevens-tech.edu/~eneu/

This guy has problems, he told my buddy he should leave the school because he failed one class his last year (his junior year). This man needs some help.

MantisMag
10-31-2002, 07:27 PM
interview? i got accepted at steven's without any interview. was it required? i'm confused. :confused:

FreshmanBob
10-31-2002, 09:38 PM
I dunno, they told me to come for an interview sooooooo

spraying mango: I'm going for civil engineering, probably end up going to drexel or rutgers though (they have college paintball teams! wooot!)