PDA

View Full Version : Need Polishing Help

Bazaro
10-31-2002, 03:43 AM
Well... I need a little help here. I decided to polish one of my mag bodies because when I got it the black teflon coating was in pretty rough shape. It was well used by it's previous owner. But now it's got a bunch of black marks on it where the teflon won't come out. It looks as if the body was bead blasted or something before it was coated. Here is a the reason I decided to polish it:

http://fatef.homestead.com/files/Mag_Bodies1.JPG

Why the hell does my mag body have little black spots on it? Did I just not polish it enough or what? So far I've used mostly 500 and 600 grit sandpaper to get it how it is. I don't really want to use a lower than 400 grit paper because I don't want it to have any deep scratches in it. Should I just keep sanding it? Here is what it looks like now.

http://fatef.homestead.com/files/Polishing.jpg

Is there anything that will remove the telfon without more sanding?

Nobody077
10-31-2002, 08:06 PM
Looking at your pic I dont realy think is the black coat your seeing, but unsanded/polished steel. I would suggest moving up to 800-1000 grit paper to smoth out the 500-600 marks and then polish on a buffing wheel with a stainless steel buffing compound. Take your time and you will have a mirror finish

battlegroup
11-05-2002, 01:30 AM
The surface does not have to be perfectly smooth when they apply the teflon since the teflon will fill in any pits. it looks like you have pits on the body that are still holding teflon. Go to a lower grit sandpaper. I started with 100 and then worked up to 200, 1000, 2000, then mothers mag and aluminum polish. Stainless Steel is much harder than aluminum and you wont put very deep scratches in it. You will have to take off some metal though.

Warning: don't take off too much as the tolerances on the mag are tight and it may affect the working of the marker. if you are doing this by hand (I did mine on a lathe with no problems), just stop as soon as the last black spot disappears. you'll be fine.