PDA

View Full Version : Run DMC singer shot

warpfeedmod
10-31-2002, 08:37 AM
Jam Master Jay (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=638&ncid=762&e=1&u=/nm/20021031/en_nm/music_rundmc_dc)

Not a big fan of hip hop but they were pioneers in the industry, sad to see this happen.

shartley
10-31-2002, 09:06 AM
One might ask the question.....

I wonder why you don't see this type of thing in other Music genres?

Thordic
10-31-2002, 09:15 AM
In defense of Run DMC, they were pioneers of the industry, and came from a middle-class neighborhood in Queens.

As far as I have heard, they weren't part of the whole "gansta" scene or whatever you want to call it. When I heard last night that he had been shot and killed, it was pretty surprising to me.

Run DMC have contributed immensely to the music world, and not only for hip hop / rap. They are credited with saving Aerosmiths career when they redid Walk This Way.

I don't really think that a post about someones death is an appropriate place to criticize rap music, Sam.

shartley
10-31-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Thordic
In defense of Run DMC, they were pioneers of the industry, and came from a middle-class neighborhood in Queens.

As far as I have heard, they weren't part of the whole "gansta" scene or whatever you want to call it. When I heard last night that he had been shot and killed, it was pretty surprising to me.

Run DMC have contributed immensely to the music world, and not only for hip hop / rap. They are credited with saving Aerosmiths career when they redid Walk This Way.

I don't really think that a post about someones death is an appropriate place to criticize rap music, Sam.
Actually where did I criticize ANY music? Contrary to what some may think, I actually liked some of their music... and other songs by artists in that genra.

Would anyone make a post like the one you just did if someone asked similar things about Drug Deaths in any other genre of music (which DOES happen)? I doubt it.

My post was simply a question, not a judgment, not a "statement" of any kind, nor criticizing the music this man created. If you think that rap/hip hop does NOT have a problem with the type of thing that just happened, you must be blind. And you can't blame ME for pointing this out. I did not cause the problem, nor contribute to it… in ANY way.

Run DMC did not need "defending" since noone "attacked" them. But on that note, to say they are not a "part" of the "gangsta rap" scene would be ignoring those that they hang around with on a regular basis, and were actually AT the recording studio last night (according to the news).

“Jimmy is not a drug addict, or dealer. He comes from a nice suburban family. He just hangs out with drug dealers and addicts.” Like it or not, who you choose to associate with, and the places you choose to go, are often as much of “who you are” as what you actually do, or don’t do.

My statement/question was not, and still is not, an attack on Run DMC or their music. It is however a real issue... whether it is politically correct to say so or not.

I am sorry it happened... but only by dealing with WHY it happed will these senseless deaths stop happening. And to do that you HAVE to ask questions.... such as the one I asked.

Thank you for your opinions, but I feel they don’t deal with what I actually posted, nor with the reality of the situation. However, I admit that your post does have a more “feel good” tone to it.

Thordic
10-31-2002, 09:55 AM
I would be willing to bet more rock stars have died of overdoses and/or alcohol poisoning than rap stars have been murdered :)

It's all just a question of perspective.

shartley
10-31-2002, 10:02 AM
I would be willing to bet more rock stars have died of overdoses and/or alcohol poisoning than rap stars have been murdered :)

It's all just a question of perspective.
And I would tend to agree with you. But one is "self induced" and the other is MURDER.

And after all, we are not talking about an overdose death in this thread... are we? It is easy to brush issues aside by pointing at other issues..... ;)

However, if this WAS about some rock star dieing of a drug overdose, I would be adressing THAT issue.... but it isn't.

Thordic
10-31-2002, 10:06 AM
I think they are comparable issues.

Both are stars dying from living the lifestyle. The means of death isn't as important as the fact that they both die. IN either case, they are killed by the "lifestyle" of the genre of music they have chosen.

shartley
10-31-2002, 10:19 AM
I think they are comparable issues.

Both are stars dying from living the lifestyle. The means of death isn't as important as the fact that they both die. IN either case, they are killed by the "lifestyle" of the genre of music they have chosen.
Did anyone else catch that?

Thordic, you almost said exactly what I said. LOL

Yes, you can compare them, but they are not the same. The outcome of self induced death and murder ARE the same, but there is NO way you are going to convince me that the method of death or who is directly responsible are even close. One is self destructive and directly caused by the actions of the one who died, the other is caused by the action of ANOTHER.

Yes, there is a problem in both of these situations. I have never stated otherwise. But again, this thread is about the death of someone MURDERED in a music genre that shows this type of tragedy on a regular basis.... not about the death of some Rock Star who ODed.

When the next Rock Star dies of a drug overdose, I will be more than happy to talk with you about it... and you can bet that I will not bring up Rap Artists being Murdered as a comparison. I will deal with the issue, and the issue alone.

Gotenks
10-31-2002, 05:29 PM
Yes....

it's a sad day for the hip hop world.

yeahthatsme
10-31-2002, 11:37 PM
you might wanna check your spelling there shartley.

also, get back on topic. its kinda disrespectful to bring up how rap stars are murdered in the same topic of mourning the loss of one of the most influentual people in the business. show some respect.

as for run-dmc, my heart goes out to the family and friends. i wonder what this is all about.....

Jonno06
11-01-2002, 06:10 AM
im not a real big rap fan(i actually hate it)...

but i still agree with Shartley...

its still sad to hear about him dying though...

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
11-01-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by shartley
One might ask the question.....

I wonder why you don't see this type of thing in other Music genres?

The guy who shot Jam Master Jay was drunk. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with gang type stuff and what not, but I get your point.

shartley
11-01-2002, 09:18 AM
For all those that think I was disrespectful of someone’s death… I apologize. That was not my intent.

also, get back on topic. its kinda disrespectful to bring up how rap stars are murdered in the same topic of mourning the loss of one of the most influentual people in the business. show some respect.
And you don’t see any connection? Again, I meant no disrespect, but to say what you just did would be like saying…

“It is disrespectful to bring up lifestyles and drug use when talking about the death of Elvis. Show some respect, he was very influential in the music industry.”

Sorry, separate issues, and one is not showing disrespect for the other. They ARE however linked and should be addressed, or at least thought about. And if you think those closest to him are not thinking the same thoughts…. Come on. It is the same way race car drivers think about the careers they chose and the hazards that tend to go along with it when one of their fellow drivers dies in a crash. And often times things are done to prevent the same thing from happening again.

The difference is that THIS type of tragedy is not one caused by the equipment, or things directly related to their profession, but instead the lifestyle(s) that tends to surround it. It is what makes this type of death a true tragedy (the same as drug and alcohol overdoses in other music genres). It is one of human doing, and has social implications. Like it or not.

And the ONLY way to prevent this thing from happening in the future is to talk about it and dealing with the issue in a calm and rational manner…. Not acting like those who do are somehow disrespecting the dead. Because they are NOT. In fact if talking about it can somehow save someone else’s life, it is Honoring a death….

As for my spelling.. LOL Out of ALL the folks on AO I would bet they you will find the LEAST amount of spelling errors in my posts… so pointing out a spelling error is pretty petty.. unless you want ME to start pointing them out….

The guy who shot Jam Master Jay was drunk. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with gang type stuff and what not, but I get your point.
I am sure being drunk is not an issue. At least not for me. the Alcohol did not give the guy a gun, the alcohol did not bring the guy to the studio, and the alcohol did not pull the trigger. Would he have done it if he was NOT drunk? Who knows. But that really isn’t the point, is it? If it is, we can just dismiss all crimes committed while being drunk as not related to anything BUT the alcohol.

covadsucks
11-01-2002, 01:39 PM
Shartley is killin' me with the points he made. So what if the guy was drunk, alcohol only reduces inhibitions, the fact is, the guy probably would've shot JMJ anyhow. Whether it was drug related who cares, point is it's a stupid thing to have happened at all. We all make decisions as to who we are and where we associate ourselves. People need to take responsibility for their own decisions/actions and stop blaming society.

yeahthatsme
11-01-2002, 02:34 PM
wow. shartley is good at making you feel stupid huh?

but it did look like you were disrespecting him. and also run-dmc was around before the whole gangsta thing came up. they kept it real and its sad that it has come to this.

they pioneered hip-hop and rock combos and are very inspirational to the music world today. if it wasnt for them hip-hop wouldnt be where it was today, and bringing up drugs and gang violence in this thread is innapropriate at best. i know you didnt mean disrespect but regardless thats how it came across and this is the wrong place for discussions on that matter. this will be my last post on the subject.

any other news on the motives and or suspects?

EsPo
11-01-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by yeahthatsme
wow. shartley is good at making you feel stupid huh?
yes.....:) but we still love him

id say that run DMC were the most creative hip hop artists ever... as stated before, the were not on the whole gangsta scene like most of the others were that got murdered. i also do not like rap, but did enjoy some of run's stuff.

too lazy to read, but the title is wrong, it was there dj that was shot..

Allen
11-01-2002, 10:22 PM
As a big Beastie Boys fan, I was saddened to hear of the death of someone who directly influenced them. I actually watched MTV for a while to watch the myriad of Run-DMC videos they were playing.

Gotenks
11-02-2002, 02:02 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid37/pb45b0c4162493bd2d428ebe3d112e582/fd190b7a.jpg

James
11-02-2002, 09:36 AM
i am not getting into the whole arguement about how diff genre's can kill you.I am only 20 and run dmc came out when i was one. i remember growing up and watching them on mtv. I am actually a pretty decent fan with some knowledge of the group. Like someone previously stated earlier they came from a middle class hood in queens NY.After finding out about his death tons of stars were affected by his death. Ja rule appeared on mtv, as well as eminiem,ice cube, joe perry.All of them saying the same thing how he was a good man to know, and wasnt into the gangsta style as someone also said earlier.They were the poineers of rap.They didnt make the first rap song. as a matter of fact rap had been around since the early 60's but was never actually produced until rappers delight came out, and rund dmc made the very first rap album,also the very first rap artist to sell 1 million copies ever. I was sad to hear about his death but i wish his family and friends the best,
James(uno)

-=Squid=-
11-03-2002, 10:59 PM
Shartley, you can always make something out of nothing and argue with a stump, and emerge victorious. Thats why I like you :)

yeahthatsme
11-05-2002, 08:07 AM
shartley you got anything else to say?

shartley
11-05-2002, 08:25 AM
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=479052

;)

-=Squid=-
11-05-2002, 04:32 PM
so whats up with yub?

shartley
11-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
so whats up with yub?
The first documented use of the word YUB on AO.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52400

And other threads using the word YUB.

http://www.automags.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=132974&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

It has become an all encompassing word.

yeahthatsme
11-05-2002, 05:24 PM
how did i not see that one coming.....

-=Squid=-
11-05-2002, 06:34 PM
fascinating, simply fascinating!