PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy a palmer barrel

Jimmi9999
11-01-2002, 06:03 AM
I want to know what the difference between the brass and nickel plating, besides price. any other info would help.

RamboPreacher
11-01-2002, 08:31 AM
aesthetics and price would be the only difference.

thei3ug
11-01-2002, 10:47 AM
Finally, someone with a bit of extravagance!

Tom Sparkman
11-01-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by RamboPreacher
aesthetics and price would be the only difference.

Wouldn't the Nickel plate be harder to scratch?

Tom

bofh
11-01-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Tom Sparkman

Wouldn't the Nickel plate be harder to scratch?

Tom

That might fall under "aesthetics" :)

RamboPreacher
11-01-2002, 11:31 AM
yes, the matt-nickel is much harder to scratch and yes, I would place that under aesthetics. If you get polished nickel, it would be susceptible to scratches more. I suppose the nickel plating would also make it more durable, especially for those that tend to drop their guns in gravel, or whack them on a tree or something. :D

Jimmi9999
11-01-2002, 08:58 PM
is the inside nikel plated too or is it just the outside. if it is how would the accuracy be different from the nickel and brass. also is the spiral porting worth the extra money.

RamboPreacher
11-01-2002, 09:51 PM
I haven't bought a nickel plated mag barrel, but I have bought other ones from PPS, and they weren't plated on the inside, or if they were, the honing removed it. THe porting does two things: It quietens the report of the ball shooting and by doing so, slightly decreases gas efficiency (all ported barrels do that, the more porting toward towards the back, the less efficient. I suggest 1.5 to 2 inches ported only).

as for accuracy, that is subjective. I personally like a barrel to be brass, nickel or stainless on the inside. Some prefer aluminum (not an option with a PPS barrel). I am not one that is too particular about the material, as long as it is very smooth. Sorry, can't give you any diffinitive answers, just my opinions.