PDA

View Full Version : Max Flo

TastePAINt88
11-02-2002, 01:03 PM
I was thinking, and looking at ads in APG and on the net, and I noticed the Max Flo claims to be the only tank that self adjusts, what exactly does it do, and how would this self adjusting enhance its preformance over, say... the Flatline or Dyno Flo or another "Highest flo rate available" tank. Would the Max Flo's self adjusting really help out on a gun? Anyone want to do anytests about this? Or how much would the self adjusting help, would it be like "Ah yes, I just changed my output pressure to 950 so that now my RT acts like a dream" <10 shots later....> "Whats this? no RT affect again? Stupid self adjusting tank!" Would that secanrio be a chance at a setup with this tank and a RT valve?

FordPrefect
11-02-2002, 01:10 PM
You could call up Smart Parts, and see what they say "self adjusting" means.

TastePAINt88
11-02-2002, 01:13 PM
I guess thats a good Idea, Ill call them up sometime and ask them why wouldi buy a max flo over someother tank.

Doc Nickel
11-03-2002, 04:21 AM
It's not "self adjusting", it's "self compensating".

The standard single-stage regulators ('Mag regs, UniRegs, Stabilizers, Messiahs, Ergo, you name it) tend to vay their output pressure in inverse proportion to the input pressure.

To put it simply, output pressure tends to rise slightly as the tank pressure drops. For more in-depth info, check my How Regs Work (http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/regs.html) article on my site. It needs to be updated, but it gets the generalities out.

The Max Flow, however, has a unique primary piston that's hollow, and has a passage for output air to travel to what's essentially the "supply" side, to help compensate for variances in output pressure.

Bottom line, a well-tuned and properly maintained Max Flow is very consistent, not only shot-to-shot but also full tank to empty (which is usually more important.) Thus, you can single-reg a gun, even a 'Cocker, on just a Max, rather than using two regs (Flatline and 'Mag internal reg, or Crossfire and Bushmaster onboard reg, AIR and Angel foregrip reg, etc, ad nauseum.

But to be perfectly honest, it's something of a waste on a 'Mag. The Mag's reg acts as a secondary/inline reg, and produces excellent consistency when fed reasonably consistent HPA, as from any cheap screw-in.

There's no reason you shouldn't run it, but if cost is a consideration, you can buy two decent screw-in tanks for the price of one Max.

Doc.

TastePAINt88
11-03-2002, 08:15 PM
That makes alot of sense, thanks for clearing this up for me, I didnt know what it meant, so I thought this would be the best place to ask, thanks alot, it makes much sense now!

Boble86
11-04-2002, 07:48 PM
what is the maintance u should do on a max-flow?

veteranmag
11-05-2002, 12:18 PM
I will say that the max flow requires a fair bit of maintenance in comparison to the Air America tank that I had previously.

In the three years I've owned the max flow I have had three separate minor leaks from the regulator. The manual produced by Smart Parts is very detailed and fixing the leak just requires disassembly, cleaning and lubing the components. I was also have low recharge rate until I cleaned and lubed the regulator (which fixed the problem).

If you don't like to work on your equipment, the max flow may not be the best choice.