PDA

View Full Version : Max Flo: Is this HP or LP?

dnm5d
11-04-2002, 04:54 PM
I have a max flo reg, how do I find out if this is high pressure or low pressure?

dnm5d
11-04-2002, 04:56 PM
here's a pic in case it helps...

AutoMaggot
11-04-2002, 05:49 PM
There should be two gauges, an input, and an output... if there is another silver knoby thing sticking out the top (which i cant see), then its a high pressure.

TigerMan
11-04-2002, 06:21 PM
If you have air, turn it on. If it's able to go above 300, then its a hp. If it only goes from 0-400, then it's a lp. If you don't have air, you may be able to tell by the output gauge (if it's a lp).

dnm5d
11-04-2002, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately I dont have air and wont be able to get my tank filled for awhile and was hoping I could get it sold as soon as possible. It only has one guage, that goes from 0-4000 psi. I guess it's missing the output guage? I dont see a silver knob that sticks out.

Ityl
11-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Does it say shocker on it anywhere? Ones that say shocker were LP.

ChucktheMAGician
11-04-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Ityl
Does it say shocker on it anywhere? Ones that say shocker were LP.
Unless the previous owner changed the spring! Either way you will need a gauge to monitor outgoing pressure.

dnm5d
11-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys. I dont see shocker on it anywhere. Guess I'll have to get my tank filled and grab a guage. Was hoping there's some way to look at it and find out :)

Doc Nickel
11-05-2002, 12:35 AM
These guys are all so helpful! :D
Am I the only one that uses Max Flows?

Anyway, it looks like an old style cradle- not only is it likely an HP reg, but might even be a PVI unit rather than an SP. If it is (more below) then look out, because some pieces, notably the main seal, are no longer available.

Anyway, a quickie indicator- if the big hollow nut on the back (tank end) of the reg is stainless steel rather than black-annoed aluminum, it's very likely a PVI unit.

As for HP vs. LP, unscrew the front adjuster cap. If the brass piston in the body of the reg is roughly 1/2" in diameter, it's a high-pressure reg, good for more or less 450 psi and up (though it'll go lower, and there's a "medium" and "high" pressure spring.)

If the piston is closer to the diameter of a nickel, then it's an LP reg. Good for about 250 psi and below.

If it's not whichever style you want, or a PVI reg, drop me a line, if you're interested in selling the setup.

Doc.

dnm5d
11-05-2002, 01:23 PM
I emailed you doc.