PDA

View Full Version : Honda SUV's... clearance?

joeyjoe367
11-06-2002, 01:21 PM
Driving around lately, I've been behind a few Honda SUV's, the CRV, and the Pilot, and I've noticed something kinda stupid.

I don't know exactly what it is, but the suspention or whatever seems to only be like 6-8 inches off the ground, i looked at the sedan right next to the CRV i was checking out, and I noticed that they have about the same clearance :P

...the CRV just LOOKS like it had more clearance cuz of where the body starts, in reality, it doesn't.

Does anyone else find this really stupid?

PigSweat
11-06-2002, 02:20 PM
The problem with clearence comes from the use of Independent suspension. The new GM trucks are the same way, much less clearence than a Ford (but still way more than a sedan, lol).

It just comes from turning what 'looks' like an offroad capable machine and making it into a grocery-getter with good gas mileage and a pleasent ride.

Personally, the ONLY SUV I'd think about taking offroad would be a Jeep (not Liberty) or a Nissan Pathfinder or Toyota 4 Runner. But that is just IMO.

shartley
11-06-2002, 02:44 PM
Well, I think some folks misunderstand what a SUV is actually meant for. Granted, they are not what they used to be, but most of them still fill the requirements.

They are NOT for off-road use. Never have been. Sorry. ;)

They are a Sport Utility Vehicle. They were meant to drive on both improved and unimproved roads (with the occational LIGHT off-road use.. this means where there is not a road, NOT mountain climbing). They were designed to keep the traction of a four wheel drive vehicle, provide more storage space than a car, but provide the same seating… all in an enclosed vehicle.

Point in fact, most pickups are not designed for off-road use either. Anyone familiar with true off road vehicles know there are some differences. I will not get into them all, but they are there.

There are also different classes of SUVs. There are basically 3 classes of SUV just like cars now… compact, midsize, and full size. And there are good ones and not so good ones in each class. Depending on your needs, you will find one class more appropriate than the others. And some have no more clearance than the average car on the road, but that does not make it any less an SUV than a full sized one….. it is just a matter of design for the purpose.

This also holds true for pickups… they too are not all the same. But even the smallest 2 wheel drive pickup is still a pickup. ;)

spazzed
11-06-2002, 03:05 PM
blahblahblah... SUV's are crap. Period. Hate 'em with a passion. Almost as much as the crackheads who think they own the road when they drive 'em.

See what happens when I slap some chain's on 'em and rip their doors off.

sweet sweet jeep lovin :D:D

bornl33t
11-06-2002, 03:57 PM
according to shartleys definition a jeep is better then a SUV then... :D :D, cause they go off road :D

Dayspring
11-06-2002, 04:59 PM
TECHNICALLY, there are only two vehicles that are capable off-road STOCK from the factory. Hummer H1 and the new Jeep Rubicon.

H1 for obvious reasons. (H2 is crap)

Rubicon- stock w/ mud terrain tires, front and rear locking differentials and some lift if I remember correctly. (if you don't know what a locking dif is, PM and I'll explain)

As for SUV's not being meant for mountain climbing- I can only partially agree. Yes, the Mazda Tribute, Ford Escape, CRV and Rav-4 are not designed for going off road at all. Independent suspension sucks. (Most of the time. There are some instances where it's cool. On road for control & smoothness. Off-road- kind of a 50/50 there depending on the obstacle & the driver.) The new Explorers got neutered when Ford decided to cater to the soccer mom contingent and remove the solid rear axle and put in a rear independent suspension. (BAH!)

However, I will say this, I've seen Xterras out on the trails doing stuff that most owners would lose their lunch on. I've even participated in some of it. TRUE- they can't beat the big constructed jeeps w/ 38"+ tires and massive lift, however, when it comes to the SUVs out there, I think the X and the Land Rovers are probably the most capable.

Any 4-Wheeler will tell you though, a 4x4 is Built, not born. And believe me, I agree. I've spent considerable amounts of $ to ensure it comes back alive from some nasty rock crawling.

And if you don't believe me, I'll send you to my buddy Pikachu's pics. He's got an Xterra running 36" Swamper SSRs. (Sawzall & sheetmetal baby!) 6" total lift. (damned PA laws)

Mango
11-06-2002, 07:00 PM
What about Land Rover Discovery II's? They are pretty off-road capable. Ever see those challenges where they race through the desert? There were two teams that took them around the world too. Pretty impressive.

spazzed
11-06-2002, 07:52 PM
We talkin Sahara-type desert, or rocky as hell-type desert?

Either way, I'm a Jeep man. None of what you say will phase me :D
Gimme my CJ5/7 & several thousand bucks and I'll be the happiest man in the world :D:D

Dayspring
11-06-2002, 11:16 PM
36" Super Swamper TSLs, 3" Suspension/3" Body lift. Custom 10-Leaf Spring pack. Skid Row Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier. Lots of Sawzall work to make it fit. Ladies & Gents- I introduce Pikachu.

http://www.xterra-trail.net/ecxc2002/pika_pika.jpg

spazzed
11-07-2002, 12:41 AM
I've always wanted to hit hte rubicon, you ever been dayspring?

Curly
11-07-2002, 01:55 AM
but the suspention or whatever seems to only be like 6-8 inches off the ground, i looked at the sedan right next to the CRV i was checking out, and I noticed that they have about the same clearance :P

This is what happens when you put an "suv" on the chasis of a car and try to lift it a little. This is why they do not handle like trucks or jeeps and they never will.

joeyjoe367
11-07-2002, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by shartley
Well, I think some folks misunderstand what a SUV is actually meant for. Granted, they are not what they used to be, but most of them still fill the requirements.

They are NOT for off-road use. Never have been. Sorry. ;)

They are a Sport Utility Vehicle. They were meant to drive on both improved and unimproved roads (with the occational LIGHT off-road use.. this means where there is not a road, NOT mountain climbing). They were designed to keep the traction of a four wheel drive vehicle, provide more storage space than a car, but provide the same seating… all in an enclosed vehicle.

Umm... why not just get a mini-van then? LoL if you're driving on paved roads you don't even need 4 wheel drive. mini-vans are probably safer cuz of lower center of gravity.

IMO, SUV's these days are for the "soccer-mom/parent-who's-too-cool-to-drive-a-mini-van":rolleyes:

Dayspring
11-07-2002, 10:01 AM
Other side of the country for me... And I think it's a little too hardcore for my tastes. However, Xterra Owners Club (www.xterraownersclub.com) just saw pics of the first X on the 'con. Interesting stuff. I may try Moab one day, but it depends on how ballsy I feel.

Originally posted by spazzed
I've always wanted to hit hte rubicon, you ever been dayspring?

That danged uni-body construction... The CRV is built off the Accord chassis correct?

Originally posted by Curly

This is what happens when you put an "suv" on the chasis of a car and try to lift it a little. This is why they do not handle like trucks or jeeps and they never will.

shartley
11-07-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by joeyjoe367

Umm... why not just get a mini-van then? LoL if you're driving on paved roads you don't even need 4 wheel drive. mini-vans are probably safer cuz of lower center of gravity.

IMO, SUV's these days are for the "soccer-mom/parent-who's-too-cool-to-drive-a-mini-van":rolleyes:
That is about the most ignorant thing I have heard in a while. ;)

Why do Subarus have all wheel drive? Just because you want traction for all wheels does not mean you want to go off road. But I guess trying to explain that would be a waste of my time, right?

I OWN a mini-van, and can tell you that although it does very well in the snow, there have been times that I could have used 4 wheel drive. And mini-vans are not safer because of lower center of gravity, in fact they tend to not be anywhere close to as safe as some would think. In spite of what the reports state, I have found that it is most often not the vehicle itself that is “safe” or “unsafe” it is the driver. And most accidents are either caused by driving beyond the limits of your vehicle, or driver stupidity.

Following the “why not just drive a mini-van” mentality, we should all drive ONE type of vehicle. Or there should be only ONE vehicle model per type of vehicle classification out there. We can get rid of sports cars too, after all, any 4 cyl. hatchback will allow the driver to drive at legal speeds.

But simply put, sometimes people want more, even if they don’t “need” it. I can remember when pickups and SUVs were truly Utility Vehicles and not status symbols. And even back then, they had different levels of each. It’s all good. But comments like yours just make me shake my head…. I suppose you have a small TV, small Computer, small home, small well… everything. After all, you really don’t NEED anything more than that. Heck you don’t even need half of that in all honesty. ;)

I find it funny that we are not suppose to draw conclusions about people because of the way they dress, their skin color, their accent, and all the other things we see folks saying are “bad” to do, yet it is acceptable to draw conclusions simply because of the vehicle someone drives. LOL Yeah, you can tell a lot about someone from that…. Yup.
:rolleyes:

bornl33t
11-07-2002, 05:26 PM

I OWN a mini-van, and can tell you that although it does very well in the snow, there have been times that I could have used 4 wheel drive. And mini-vans are not safer because of lower center of gravity, in fact they tend to not be anywhere close to as safe as some would think. In spite of what the reports state, I have found that it is most often not the vehicle itself that is “safe” or “unsafe” it is the driver. And most accidents are either caused by driving beyond the limits of your vehicle, or driver stupidity.

THE DRIVER!!! RIGHT ON, which is why soccer moms shouldn't drive SUVs they can't handle them. *sigh*:(

[QUOTE]

I find it funny that we are not suppose to draw conclusions about people because of the way they dress, their skin color, their accent, and all the other things we see folks saying are “bad” to do, yet it is acceptable to draw conclusions simply because of the vehicle someone drives. LOL Yeah, you can tell a lot about someone from that…. Yup.
:rolleyes:

Sad isn't it?

shartley
11-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Heat

THE DRIVER!!! RIGHT ON, which is why soccer moms shouldn't drive SUVs they can't handle them. *sigh*:(

Sad isn't it?
Actually, I would agree that I don't have a lot of faith in women drivers. Some may consider that sexist, but so be it. Even my Wife feels that way for the most part.

But that being said, I have seen more rear ends by women in SUV's, but more "off the road" accidents by MEN in SUVs and Pickups. They think that just because they have 4 wheel drive they can fly 100mph in the snow.... bad misconception.

Of course these are all men who have just "moved up" to 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Again, I suggest that folks learn the capabilities of their vehicles and how to drive them. The techniques for driving FWD, RWD, and 4WD in slippery situations are not the same.

Another thing... if you are a woman, I would advise you stick with the smaller SUVs (and this goes for short men). I find that much of the problems with women driving the larger SUVs and Pickups is that because of their physical size, they have a harder time seeing things properly and getting used to the spatial relationships.

Driving a vehicle that you are not “matched” for can be a dangerous thing. This goes for thickness and position of side columns, windows, etc. If you can not see well all around, and are not comfortable with the seating/steering positions, do NOT buy the vehicle. I am 6’4” and I HATE getting into a vehicle that is not properly matched to my size and visual needs. And some of the vehicles out there baffle me a great deal…. Some of them have such big blind spots that even I feel uncomfortable driving them.

Unless I am driving a utility vehicle or panel van, I want to be able to see everything well. Does anyone remember the first time they drove a 70’s van with no side windows? ;) You could darn near sneak up with an army on those things. LOL But the DID have their advantages too… :D:D:D

Dayspring
11-07-2002, 06:48 PM
4wd gets you moving. And that's it. It doesn't get you stopped. ;)

I like it when people ask me- "so how fast are you going when you go 4 wheeling?" They're all disappointed when I tell them I normally don't go over 5-10 unless it's a fire-road. And if it's lots of rocks, it's called crawling.
Baja is TOTALLY different from 4-wheeling. They are designed with long travel suspension and $$$$ of other modifications. Things that no normal person could afford. :(

But that being said, I have seen more rear ends by women in SUV's, but more "off the road" accidents by MEN in SUVs and Pickups. They think that just because they have 4 wheel drive they can fly 100mph in the snow.... bad misconception.

personman
11-07-2002, 07:13 PM
An 'Almond Brown' 2003 Dodge Grand 4WD Caravan is my first car.
I did the math :D
We get a new car every 2 years.. and I'm 13..
My mom gets the new one, and my dad uses the old one..
Who cares if I'll look like a fool driving it? :p

shartley
11-07-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by personman
An 'Almond Brown' 2003 Dodge Grand 4WD Caravan is my first car.
I did the math :D
We get a new car every 2 years.. and I'm 13..
My mom gets the new one, and my dad uses the old one..
Who cares if I'll look like a fool driving it? :p
Fool? Some may think that, but they will soon find out that you are the “transportation”. ;) While other kids are trying to stuff themselves into some small car, you will be riding in comfort… and with 6 of your friends! (and all their stuff!!!)

People may like to knock mini-vans, but when you need the passenger capacity, you find out how great they are. :D

personman
11-07-2002, 07:39 PM

Fool? Some may think that, but they will soon find out that you are the “transportation”. ;) While other kids are trying to stuff themselves into some small car, you will be riding in comfort… and with 6 of your friends! (and all their stuff!!!)

People may like to knock mini-vans, but when you need the passenger capacity, you find out how great they are. :D
I couldnt have said it better myself.
Atleast it has an awesome soundsystem :D

Koosh
11-07-2002, 08:58 PM
I have to agree with most everything said on here.

I never got into 'wheelin myself but a few of my friends have gotten into it really heavily. One guy I know took his perfectly fine '85 toyota Pickup to one of the local shop. 3 months and $12,000 later it came out a wheeling machine! with 38" tires, huge lift (I don't know exactly" lockers and a TOTALLY CUSTOM suspension. The guys there designed it and built it, with my friends truck being the prototype. Along with that they tossed in a 350 small block chevy engine in it to spin the wheels (Toyota 2.2 liter was a little small ;)).

2 weeks later, it broke... Apparantly the guys who built it forgot about something... when they lifted it, they somehow got a screw to in right under the radiator, so the first time he took it out, he went in a big dip, and popped a hole in it. Doh! after getting a new radiator, and the screw problem, he decieded to put an EFI system in it, instead of the carbuerator that was on... big mistake... after installing it and starting it up, he was suprised to see that he had just blown his engine! I'm not the big auto-tech guy here, so I don't know how he managed it, but needlessly to say after spending 12k on a truck, more on a radiator and EFI system he doesnt have the money to buy a whole new engine... so the best wheelin truck this side of the rockies sits silent... sigh...