PDA

View Full Version : Which Hi performance tank is best???

CpSuPeRkId
11-07-2002, 11:21 PM
i have 400 and am looking for a new tank. my choices right now are the max flo, apocalypse 2k, or a flatline. i want the flatline but i dont like the fact that you need a drop. i like how a max flo mounts right on there and has a perfect feel to it. i konw how max flos perform but am leaning towards an apocalypse 2k because its not as bulky as a max flo and the 2Ks are supposed to be as good if not better than max flos. the 2ks are alot lighter and smaller than the old bulky apocalypses. but which high performance nitro system do u guys think is best and why??

TRIAD
11-07-2002, 11:26 PM
Air America tanks are outdated. They were good when they were invented, but not much has changed on them. I would go with a flatline. Just because you have to buy a drop for it doesn't make it bad. That doesn't make any sense. You're spending 400 on an air system, and you're going to go cheap because of the need for a drop?

spazzed
11-07-2002, 11:43 PM
Yup, Triad hit the nail on the head.

Kevmaster
11-08-2002, 12:12 AM
id look at a DynaFlow/HyperFlow. i love mine and think they are the best tanks out there

Phil
11-08-2002, 04:04 AM
I have an Apoc2k on my emag and it rocks. How does a freaking regulator get outdated? Either it supplies air adequately or it doesn't. Mine does. Anyway Air America is a good solid company that gives you a lifetime warranty and has excellent customer service. I wont use anything else. You have made three good choices. You wont go wrong if you buy either of the three.

i-luv-my-rt
11-08-2002, 06:58 AM
I think Air America is also outdated. There quality is still very good but they havent gotten better or worse in years. I would go with the Max-Flow or a Macdev COnquest. The conquest has the dovetail so it can be mounted right under the grip, i have mine set-up like that. Go to macdev.net Alot of people are spending alot of money on these tanks b/c of how good they are.

TRIAD
11-08-2002, 08:02 AM
I figured I'd spark some conflict with that comment. ;)

I never said they were bad, just that they're not the best. And a reg becomes outdated because it was created quite a few years ago, and has not been truly updated. They were great regs back in the day, because of their quality and technology. But today, they're outdated.

shartley
11-08-2002, 08:10 AM
Not gotten any better or worse….. hmmm.. kind of like how AGD was with Mags for a good 10 years? ;) I am not for, nor against, Air America, but using the argument that because they have not changed is silly.

This argument in itself does not mean they are not good regs. and tanks. Because if it was, AGD would have been a flop…. After all, up until recently that same argument was used against AGD as well. :) And what did mag owners say?

This is AO…. We have become known for our rational arguments and I am proud of that…. let’s keep it that way. ;)

I would say go with Flatline… I love mine. And if they are good enough for AGD, they are good enough for me. And I love the little regs.

As for the drop issue…. I agree. It is silly to plan on spending $300-$400 on an air system and then getting cheap by not wanting to spend $30 on a good drop for it.

TRIAD
11-08-2002, 08:20 AM
SHartley, I never said they were horrible. They are heavier and just not "refined" like other, newer regs. Look at the MaxFlo's, they just updated their regs. And crossfire just updated theirs. Therefore, there are better regs out there that, while maybe not a whole lot better, are still a better choice. All I know is, when I'm in the market for an adjustable tank, I'm going to go wtih a flatline.

covadsucks
11-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Triad,
You are saying the AA regs are outdated when they are based upon the A.I.R. Valve technology that Tom created. It's a simple but effective regulator that still delivers when it needs to. Not to bash the AIR valve or AA or Triad but please don't start slamming a company when you don't have all the facts. I made that mistake a while back and now have changed the manner in which I post.

TRIAD
11-08-2002, 11:30 AM
I said they were outdated, not terrible. What I'm saying is there are new tanks, made with newer technologies. I would jump on a chance to get an AA tank for cheap, but if you're going to get one new, I'd go with a Flatline.

Hexis
11-08-2002, 11:33 AM
I give credit to a product that got the design right the first time. I have two AA Apocalypse setups (the old SS reg versions). One is due for it's 2nd Hydro (6 years old), and I have never had to so much as replace an O-Ring. I give most of this credit to AGD for all but designing the regulator. That being said, I would go with the Flatline. It’s a very similar regulator, but smaller and lighter. If your reason for not wanting a drop is because of feel, get an Apocalypse mounting rail from AA. It will work with the dovetail mount block on the flatline and basically mount it right on the grip.

hardr0ck68
11-08-2002, 11:50 AM
you say maxflows were updated but what really changed? they just update them every so many years to change the looks its still the same basic maxflow that it was 5 years ago just a lil nicer lookin. as For AA regs, isnt the apoc 2k a new verson of the apoc? isnt that an update? oh well, and i also belive alot of the companys out there are changin there designes just to CLAIM improvements, they wont show tests of them to prove it. and please dont get me started on the crossfire test, that was not conducted as well as it should have been. so your sayin basically, newer is better than tryed and true? personally if i were jumping outta plane i weould want the used, well serviced, tried parachute modle, not the exparamental one; that could just be me tho. i would say if your lookin to buy used get a raptor they seem to be the red headed step child of the Air America line, just as good of a reg, lighter than an Apoc same basic reg and you can pick one up for 130-150 easy. if your goin new save yourself some $$ with the flatline. i wont speak of max flows because i have had nothing but problems with mine, but the problems were a result of a lame user (me).

covadsucks
11-08-2002, 11:55 AM
You're right Triad, you didn't say they are terrible and I too would take a 4500 Flatline anyday, but seeing as how they are far and few between still...An Air America Apocolypse 2k for 374.95 is not too bad a deal. Air America sent me an email offering them for said price in 68 and 88/4500 sizes.

ah137
11-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by kevmaster
id look at a DynaFlow/HyperFlow. i love mine and think they are the best tanks out there

I have seen a few friends, tanks crap out on them. I would go with the flatline. I really like mine, It has superior features when compared to any other tank.

It is by far the best designed reg made to date.

Also the new flatlines are 5 year hydo!

Hills

Snewk
11-08-2002, 12:21 PM
I had a flatline, it's now in the hands of Load SM5. While I had it it was a solid tank, no probs with it. Had the AGD quality just like my mag. If I had the money I would get a 4500psi one, I had a 3000psi. But otherwise flatlines are a good tank in my book, I suggest you check them out!

Creative Mayhem
11-08-2002, 03:42 PM
I'm not going to get in the debate over which company is better. I only want to add that, my AA Raptor is and always will be extremely reliable. I have had it for over 10 yrs, I just replaced all the O-rings just for something to do, and I got a smaller tank. I have only had an AA system, have had no problems, therefore haven't needed any other system. If I had to get a new system it would be based on AGD's AIR valve, whether it be the Flatline, or the AA system. This is of course, only my opinion, but I believe that the AA system is great, as I have not needed any other for almost all of my paintball life.

CM

freek133
11-08-2002, 03:58 PM
just wondering, but My soon to be 6 year old aa raptor tank is coming up on its second hydro... My friend got a new tank (geddon) and it was so smooth compared to mine... I was wondering if the not so smooth (not from scratches, but kinda like raised up threads.. I cant explain it) finish of my tank is a sign of maybe not making its second hydro?

thanks for the info

yeahthatsme
11-08-2002, 04:03 PM
paintballgear.com has 4500psi flatlines on clearance. they look different then the ones i've seen though. and they have aci bottles.

CpSuPeRkId
11-08-2002, 07:30 PM
well the new apocalypse 2k is updated. its alot lighter. they took over a pound off according to AA. i also saw the deal for 375 for the 2k. this looks very good to me. now what i really do what performance wise is the flatline 4500. i just do not want a drop. i dont like my gun tall at all. i want my tank to moutn right on the frame like a max flo. i love that feel. and how much are they? arent they 480 on the agd store?? cuz if i remember right thats an insane price. so if somebody can show me where i can get the new style 4500 flatlines(pewter color)with 5 year hydro for less than $400 im sooo in. also a determining factor is if i can mount it right on my frame. i could swear ive seen one with that same mount as a max flo has on it. i saw it on a blue CnC xtreme somewhere here. if i could only get a pic of that again........

CpSuPeRkId
11-08-2002, 07:44 PM
http://www.airamerica.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=62&PHPSESSID=2628b695d91885f8da43e82f03ed92db

if thats the rail you are talking about and that will work with flatlines then thats awesome and i will get it. i NEED something thats not any lower than the bottom of the frame but would be nice to move forward a bit. this little piece from AA does that perfectly. sweet. now i just need to find a place where flatline 4500s are available and for under 400.

i-luv-my-rt
11-09-2002, 05:31 PM
I think alot of people are forgeting what a good tank really consists of. Everybody on here is saying oo my tank runs good and it has never broke so it must be the best and then it keeps up with somebody shooting 8-10 bps so it must have good air flow. I dont think so.

I think alot of you people posting are second regging your guns so your tank really isnt even being put to use. As long as your tank is higher than your secondary reg it should keep up as long as the tank wasnt horrible and then you would notice that. I run my conquest straight through my beehive/centerflag regs just b/c my conquest is extremely consistent and doesnt get shootdown even on my matrix. I think thats why Max-flows are the best b/c there made to be able to do that. They have extremely fine output tuning and can keep up with any marker.

When i said the AA tanks were outdated i meant that they havent improved there tanks performance except for looks. Shartley you may say thats all some other companies do but alot of those companies are also the leaders of the paintball world.

I never liked my flatline, i could never trust it. It would creep all the time for no reason. Thats why i got rid of it.

To me one tank is better than the other depending on how it works WITHOUT a secondary reg. If it can keep up and give you a consistent marker still than it will get my vote no matter what brand.

shartley
11-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by i-luv-my-rt
I think alot of people are forgeting what a good tank really consists of. Everybody on here is saying oo my tank runs good and it has never broke so it must be the best and then it keeps up with somebody shooting 8-10 bps so it must have good air flow. I dont think so.

I think alot of you people posting are second regging your guns so your tank really isnt even being put to use. As long as your tank is higher than your secondary reg it should keep up as long as the tank wasnt horrible and then you would notice that. I run my conquest straight through my beehive/centerflag regs just b/c my conquest is extremely consistent and doesnt get shootdown even on my matrix. I think thats why Max-flows are the best b/c there made to be able to do that. They have extremely fine output tuning and can keep up with any marker.

When i said the AA tanks were outdated i meant that they havent improved there tanks performance except for looks. Shartley you may say thats all some other companies do but alot of those companies are also the leaders of the paintball world.

I never liked my flatline, i could never trust it. It would creep all the time for no reason. Thats why i got rid of it.

To me one tank is better than the other depending on how it works WITHOUT a secondary reg. If it can keep up and give you a consistent marker still than it will get my vote no matter what brand.
Actually, if you notice I did not get into what tank was better than others. ;) All I said was that I would go with the Flatline because I like mine. And you really can’t argue that issue. I did not say to go with it because it was the “best” on the market, I said I recommend it because I like mine… nothing more, nothing less.

I am sorry you did not like your Flatline. I am also sorry you had problems with yours. But I don’t think there is a single product that has ever been made that EVERY owner was perfectly satisfied, or that the product was flawless every time out of the box.

Also, I may say a lot of things, you never really know until I DO say them though. :D But that being said, if other companies are only changing the looks but not anything else, it does not matter if they are the leaders in the paintball world or not… would it? If nothing is changed but looks, what does it matter if the company that did it was Top Dog, or the Under Dog? Wouldn’t it be the same thing? ;)

If you are going to try to guess what my arguing points will be, it would behoove you to at least form a rational defense. ;) There is nothing like jumping into the ring and knocking yourself out before your opponent even gets there. :D

But with that said (and please keep in mind that this whole post is in good humor… I am not upset) I will still recommend the Flatline to anyone who asks me. And each person can decide for themselves what they DO get and use. That will not change how well MY marker shoots, or the speed that I can paint someone’s bunker…. Or THEM. :D And I use a Flatline.

c sherer
11-09-2002, 06:32 PM
Hecks, I have 2 AA Apocalypse 114/3000 tanks I'm looking to sell cheep! 175.00 for one out of hydro and 200 for one in hydro. ( I have 4 tanks and don't need 4, thats why they're for sale so cheap.)

Interested Triad....?

And to make a statement regarding them: OUTSTANDING air systems. Basically an automag valve on a tank. Simple. High flow. fully adjustable. nuff said.

Hexis
11-09-2002, 08:26 PM
CpSuPeRkId that's the part. That will give you the same effect of mounting the tank on the bottom of the grip with out any real drop. You can use that part on any dovetail mount tanks (AA Apoc/'geddon, AGD Flatline with dovetail adaptor).

i-luv-my-rt
11-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Shartley- How could somebody have hard feelings towards you. Sometimes i try to start arguements with you just so you can pick out every little mistake i make and rip on me about it. I like a good debate, i will prolly like them more when i get better at them:D
p.s. I let my game make up for my lack of expertice on the forums.

Also, I'll admit that i have a AA geddon in my house. I still havent aired it up though b/c i dont have a need for it. It is also for sale if you want it.

shartley
11-09-2002, 08:37 PM
LOL Thanks.

As for the tank.... nah, I am all set at the moment. I will keep you in mind if I run across someone who needs one though. :)

Richter
11-10-2002, 12:20 AM
you seem to leaning towards the apoc 2k. They are good tanks. Air america is a good company even though the rumor has it that Custom Products bought them. If this is true hopefully my life time warranty is still good. I have fred shults signature series Air America raptor serial number 12 on "old ghetto" my non-ball detent autococker. She still works like a charm. I have a 114 3000 Raptor that sits in a box because i have been using my armageddon since i bought it at the world cup in 2000. The armageddon had a 99 bottle on it has now been hydroed. If air america stays the same way they alwasy have been they will keep a life time warranty and stand by it.

This is lifetime warranty is what makes air america worth buying. (In my opinion) Every other tank comes from a company that either doesn't have a life time warranty or used to have life time warranties but changes their warranty policy. That is why i can't even suggest a airgun system.( my opinion I don't want to start a flame but i do feel dissed by airgun changing that policy on automag air valves)

I have had my system go down. Armageddon made a loud pop and started leaking out of a releif hole this year. I sent it to air america and they fixed it and i recieved it back in weeks time. ( two days to ship it there, a day to fix, twos day to get it back) The raptors if not oiled, and cleaned have a tendency to leak especial if thier is sand around. ( dang colorado sand :P ... sorry for the grumble just remember a tourney in CO when it went down)

As for other systems i have seen the trendy people come and go with them. When dynaflows came out and people bought them only to get hot shots on thier markers. A fifty point penalty from a dang air system makes me not like those tanks.

Smart parts regs seam to be some of the most consistent but tend to leak out the front end of the reg. (from the problems that i have seen) Smart Parts regs seem to take some time to take apart. Watch a guy take apart my brother impluse reg to fix it two years ago at chicago nppl. ( it did not take him so long he had 2/3 electirc drills to take it apart) My brother though, has had a problem that same reg spiking on nitorgen but would not spike on co2. He sent it to sp and all they did was change the gauge... (nice huh... they didn't attempt to fix the problem)

The trendy guy received a sonic max attack air system. It seemed to be good for him and never saw and problems with it. This same guy then changed to an angel air (my opinion it's a electro raptor since they don't have an on/off), now he is on the new nitro duck reg. I have never seen these systems in action all that much to tell you their problems. I did see a few airs go down but that was when they came out and poorman was protyping them. I do here that angel airs have flash fill problems but so does the raptor :)

Even though i am a dedicated air america fan, my new air system is not from air america. I have just purchased a 800 preset PMI 88 stubby. The stubby size is a dream come true for me a a back man; no more long 88 or the 114 i am forced to used for being a backman. The screw-ins seemed to make sense to me. I didn't have to buy a 50 dollar cradel on system that costs twice as much. I just put my ca bottom line screw it in and go. I would have bought an AA melee 4500 but i have not seen one on the web, and I have yet to see an 88 stubby tank from air america.

That is my 2 cents

Shane

hubadlatimmy
11-10-2002, 12:26 AM
Air America Armageddon and for several reasons

1. Removable Bottle, this comes in handy mojorly in circumstances when you either blow an o-ring in the reg or anything goes wrong with your tank at all you can just pull the bottle off quick and you have no more gas running into teh gun.

2. EXTREMELY high flow- this thing can keep up with anything on the market without a problem, and knowing the owner of Air America he specifically told me that the flow is much better on the armageddon.

3. The new ones are MUCH lighter than anything they have ever produced and are lighter than the apocolypse 2k.

4. The reg isn't outdated one bit at all. Yes it was designed years ago but you know what look at all the high end tanks the designs are really all rather old, max-flow been around for awhile,, flatline been around for awhile.

5. LIFETIME WARRANTY if anything goes wrong all you have to do is send it in and get them to fix it for FREe. Plus if you buy a parts kit that reg is simpler and easier to master than an automag valve, it's a spring piston a few orings and completely removable with the shake of your hand.

Overall I can't think of any other tank that really even compares to this one in performance, and I do admit I am sorta biast towards others after knowing what it takes to produce every other tank on the market and knowing that Air America has NEVER had a recall on ANY of there products. They test everything and make sure it's 100%. I can't say this about smart parts in the least part. My vote goes to Air America products mainly the Armageddon but make your decision on what you think thats what counts.

ohh and if you want comfy throw a 68/4500 geddon on a shocktech drop and you have one of the nicest tank setup I know of.