PDA

View Full Version : Pile has Pile of a Problem.:(

Pile & A Half
11-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Alright well I have a problem that is kind of depressing but kind of funny as well. Well you know how you connact your vertical adapter to your body rail with that screw...well it seems that screw is a bit "tight". It so tight that I can't get it off lol. I need some help on how to get this thing off. I am getting a new body rail and I need the vertical adapter and forgrip to put on the new one. Any suggestions on maybe getting it off? Thanks....maybe some one will make my day! :)

LawFox32
11-08-2002, 11:31 PM
take some WD-40 and spray it on the screw and let it sit for a few minutes; WD-40 is a penetrating oil and it will help to "loosen" the screw up and then you should be able to take it off

TigerMan
11-08-2002, 11:33 PM
So you can't get it loose at all with an allen wrench? Maybe try putting some oil or some lubricant to make it slick to possibly get it loose.

darklord
11-08-2002, 11:34 PM
good old WD-40...you only need that and duct tape to solve any problem.

Pile & A Half
11-08-2002, 11:35 PM
I'll go with the WD-40 and see how that turns out...Allens wrenchs no good.

ICOM
11-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Lift some weights and and workout hehe then try.

Pile & A Half
11-08-2002, 11:36 PM
Lifting weights.....I do. Still no good.

FESTUS33
11-08-2002, 11:43 PM
When all alse fail's try an impact driver.
With good bracing.

Mango
11-09-2002, 07:09 AM
you could try low yeild explosives. works for me! :p

dansim
11-09-2002, 07:44 AM
i like to throw things thats how i got mine off

jah871
11-09-2002, 09:55 AM
worst comes to worst just take a drill bit the size of the head of the screw and drill the head off. then once its off you can take the piece in the foregrip and clamp it down in the vice and turn the vert adapter to get it out. i have only had to do this like 2 times so far.

toymyster
11-09-2002, 10:23 AM
Drilling is not a solution only an option of last resort!!! Try the impact driver like Festus suggested!! The screw that holds the front bottle adapter is very prone to corrosion!!! A bit of WD40 and an impact driver should take it right out!!!

Jonno06
11-09-2002, 10:48 AM
NO NO NO

take superglue,and put it on the end of the screwdriver,or whatever,then put it in the screw for like 1 minute,then turn it..also use WD-40 for a POSITIVE removal of the screw.

Nobody077
11-09-2002, 04:08 PM
You could try to heat the VA, with a heatgun, lighter, or even the kitchen stove, It should expand enough to let you get the bolt out easyer. Be careful it will stay hot for a long time.
P.S. if you have iny WD40 or other oils on it wash them off before applying a flame.:D

RetroEclipseMan
11-09-2002, 04:16 PM
That could be ugly if he didn't.

FESTUS33
11-10-2002, 02:05 AM
The last thing you want to do is use heat,
have you ever had to deal with a warped rail.
It can cause more problem's than you could
ever imagine. I've been a machinist for close to 20 yr's
I'm also a gunsmith on the side, that's why I
suggested an Impact Driver and "GOOD BRACING",
You don't want to tweek you're rail,it can cause so many problem's you would'nt believe.
But that's just my .02 cents
I'm still

toymyster
11-10-2002, 03:31 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you Festus!!! I have been a mechanic for about 15 years, and I like to think I know a few things about frozen screws!!! I case you are not familiar with what we are talking about, we are talking about a Hand Impact Driver, available at just about any hardware, tool, or automotive store!! Also, make sure you are using an Allen socket and not an L key!!! L keyes slip off a lot easier and are more likely to strip the screw!!! And as Festus said, make sure you brace the adapter really well!!! Hope this helps!!!

athomas
11-12-2002, 12:22 PM
I would try heat first. Not flame, just hot or boiling water. The amount of heat delivered won't warp the rail.

WD-40 is not a good penetrating oil. It is a good general purpose light lubricant. There are many good penetrating oils out there that will work though. Most of them are corrosive on some substances. Read the directions on the can.

Definately use a good, well fitting allen tool/socket that will allow you to get good pressure on the screw.

BTAutoMag
11-12-2002, 01:13 PM
yea i ruined 2 allen wrenches getting mine off (oddly enough i didnt strip it:rolleyes: ) but it took e so much trouble that after i got it the way i liked it i LEFT it there and never touched it again