PDA

View Full Version : Paintball in the new 8 Mile movie!!!

i-luv-my-rt
11-09-2002, 08:19 PM
This is another really bad viewing of paintball. While Eminem and friends are driving around they whip out a tippmann carbine and start to shoot and people walking on the sidewalk. There are no goggles and they are shooting and people with no goggles or anything on. Then Eminem leans out the window while driving and lights up a cop car. Another very nice representation of paintball. Dont you think:rolleyes:

magman007
11-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Well its eminem, ofcourse he is going to try and slander people, and piss us off... apparently he has succeded... This does piss me off, and im tired of this stuff

i wonder if he has ever even been hit with a paintball?

EnderWigginPballin
11-09-2002, 08:38 PM
He's a...... well I probably can't say what I really want to about him on AO, but you can probably guess part of it.

anyone else notice how they haven't actually said "starring Eminem" on any of the TV ads?

and since it's in a movie, and it defames our characters by associating us paintballers with Eminem it's libel

yeahthatsme
11-09-2002, 08:38 PM
i wonder if he has ever even been hit with a paintball?

i wonder if i could change it.....

PolishSausage
11-09-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by yeahthatsme

i wonder if i could change it.....

i wonder if i could help....

Aliens-8-MyDad
11-09-2002, 09:30 PM
i wonder if him getting shot would change anything...

nouseforaname
11-09-2002, 09:39 PM
It would change my view of the person that shot him.....in a good way

mag-hatter
11-09-2002, 10:36 PM
DAMN HIM! i hate eminem! last night on some 20/20 story, they had teens shooting people with paintball guns. GOD! AH!

agdemagman69
11-09-2002, 11:04 PM
It is libel, but first we have to determine whether paintball is a Public or Private citizen.

-It would most likely be public, since a LOT of people play it, which means that this would be an easy case.

-but if it was decalred a private citizen we would have to prove malice...

(can paintball be classified in this way? this is what i learned in speach last year)

Brak
11-09-2002, 11:44 PM
eminem sucks, and thats about it. everyone who likes him makes excuses to me like "well this one song is good", and then the next pile of doos he comes out with is another "only song thats good". and am i the only one who doesnt listen to his music and think he is a downright moron who complains and is making money off of an industry that already reeks of distaste and degration?

personally, i wouldnt mind if eminem went back to the hole he came from and stuck to being a denizen of "8 mile"

LittMag
11-10-2002, 12:44 AM
Just came back from seeing 8 mile and it was pretty entertaining, I'd recommend everyone go see it.

For the issue at hand. there's not one person who would mistake the incident with the actual playing of paintball... it was simple vandalism and there's no one who would doubt it.

on the lighter side, how they got off 4 or 5 shots on a tippmann without a hopper beats the hell out of me.

OldSchoolMag
11-10-2002, 01:08 AM
First of all - that's not true.

There's no "paintball in the new 8 mile movie!!!", rather, some people misusing paintball equipment.

Did anyone ever see The Sopranos episode where a man was accosted with a golf club in broad daylight? Where were the golfers, up in arms about the bad portrayal of their sport and the misnomer it was recieving because of it? Oh, yes - there weren't any, because they realized that it wasn't some GOLFER going out in his funny pants and beating this man, but rather someone with a golf club.

People need to make this distinction, that this is not paintball, nor is it even close to what paintball really is. However, since the target audience for this movie are young "urban wanna-bee" kids, I don't think anyone will be terrebly offended, or prevent their child from playing paintball, so... it's not that big of a deal.

If you really want to protect paintball, change the laws banning the 'guns in some places to only increase the reprimands that come for misusing them. The problem isn't that people own them, it's those who misuse them.

OSM

Edit: Ack, sorry LitMag, didn't see your post - completely agree with you though, brother.

Jonno06
11-10-2002, 09:30 AM
yes,but the dumb people in this world cant distinguish the difference between REAL paintball,and some dumb rapper with a paintball gun...

rjvemt1
11-10-2002, 10:37 AM
i got hit with a baseball bat once, i am trying to get base ball banned, but my local politicians keep saying that as long as all the people who play base ball keep standing up for thier sport and, especially, as long as they keep voting there is no way he would ever try to attack the game and anyone who did would be commiting political suicide.

ive also had a couple of beer bottles broken on my head, but i like beer too much to even mess with that!:D

magman007
11-10-2002, 12:05 PM
OSM the problem is, and i faced this getting into paintball, is that parents think as a child, or a young adult, that we will eventually mis use the equipment at hand, and cuase trouble. I had to prove to my parents somany years ago that i respected this marker, and that i wouldnt cause trouble with it. IM sure some of you have thought about shooting that road sign for fun, or that mailbox, well thats the problem. What if some ones friend sees this movie and goes to his paintballer friend and says lets go for a ride, i saw this movie and that looked fun. lets go for it. and the stupid paintballer kid with the talon says ok lets do it. You all know this has happened before, and eminem is egging it on.

There was a movie a while back, where people put a homelessman in a telephone booth and light him on fire. Not 5 days later some kids in NYC did the same thing, imitating the movie.

Movies, especially with public icons, people like eminem, have an effect on out youth.

EnderWigginPballin
11-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by agdemagman69
It is libel, but first we have to determine whether paintball is a Public or Private citizen.

-It would most likely be public, since a LOT of people play it, which means that this would be an easy case

he has libeled "paintball players" if he libeled anything.

class action suit of a few thousand paintballers against Eminem...... lol

how can the sport/game of paintball be a citizen?

nippinout
11-10-2002, 06:04 PM
The marker used was not just a Tippmann Carbine, but a Pro/Carbine. If you look really close, you can see the old shool Pro-Lite foregrip, not the 68-Carbine foregrip.

And they used more than one kinds of paint. I saw at least two fill colors. Why?

Good rap though.

Vash02
11-10-2002, 06:21 PM
Correct me if im wrong but eminem isn't the director of that movie. Part of what happens in the movie can be attributed to the director. sure eminem has input but hey you put a controversial thing in front of eminem he's not gonna refuse to do it.

OldSchoolMag
11-10-2002, 06:25 PM
Magman, if there's an issue with parents and kids regarding guns, it's not because of a trust issue, or even more importantly (but more misplaced) the safety issue.

I agree that it has an affect on youths, but there's always going to be someone who will misuse something to cause harm even if they haven't seen it in a movie. Parents can take precautions protecting against the misuse do to imitation of an idol or something, and in fact, they should.

However, people who want to misuse the equipment just for the "thrill" (and I stress the quotes) didn't see it in some movie, and if it wasn't in the new movie, it still wouldn't shake them. People have been attacked with baseball bats for years, long before they were in movies, yet I don't see movements to get the local little league team thrown into lock up.

And personally, I have NEVER heard the term "vandalism caused by paintballers", but rather "vandals using paintball markers". And I know that's just asking for people to go on the web searching for articles about vandalism, just to spite me - but before you post your witty remark with your proof denouncing my stance, how many articles did you have to sift through that showed my point of view to get to one of yours?

Most people understand the difference, but there are few people that don't. And out of those few, several make their opinions heard (loudly) and then those that didn't speak up now have a croud to cheer with. There will always be a bad perception of our sport as long as it is an "extreme" sport. Go ahead an ask someone who doesn't know alot about skating, or BMX biking, and see what they think of the people who participate in it - most often you'd hear "hooligan" or "trouble-maker", or the odd "rable-rouser". And they have mainstream acceptance.

All we can do is not add fuel to the fire.
OSM

CpSuPeRkId
11-10-2002, 07:11 PM
i honestly dont really mind as a paintballer. i love paintball and will never quit this amazing sport. a stupid movie isnt gonna stop paintball. maybe some weird parts of the US got paintball banned, but i dont think it will ever be banned as a whole. i mean whos is gonna see that movie and actually think omg look what paintballers do. if they are mature enough to go see that movie(i saw it, great movie) then they will know the difference between eminem in a movie or real paintball. think of it this way: how many times have you seen a can of spray paint being used for vandalism on tv???? well does this mean that just because people on tv misuse spray paint that spray paint wont be made anymore?? i sure as heck dont think so. spray paint is such a common used thing and they arent gonna quit making it because of a movie. same thing with paintball.
also, i dont see why you all care what kind of image paintball has in the eyes of the media. the last thing i want is for paintball to become popular. i mean i want it to become popular enough to keep the sport alive for all people which is the only reason i can see for all this protest against bad paintball image. but i never wanna see paintball in a fruit roll ups commericial or something stupid like that. look how stupidly popular skateboarding is. everyone knows who tony hawk is and theres always some weirdo on a skateboard doing an ollie over something. now when you see a skateboarder you see them as another person going along with the crowd, not a true skateboarder. point is i think paintball is great the way it is. no big media coverage, no crazy popularity. just us paintballers doing our thing no matter what poople say or think. we need to keep that spirit alive and just play our game and not worry about media or what people make paintball look like.

i-luv-my-rt
11-11-2002, 07:06 PM
I in no way started this thread to diss Eminem or the movie. I merely wanted to state how this is another bad example of paintball and the attributes of paintball. There are alot of good points being said here and i think we should keep this debate going.

gemplard
11-11-2002, 07:50 PM
i think that we should do what thoes golfers did and a up rise and sho people how safe the sport really is. i think we should boycot every thing that reflects paintball as a negitave thing.

FalconGuy016
11-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Yes, I agree with parents seeing this as a bad thing about paintball and so on and so on

but honestly what majority of the parents that would go watch a movie like this would care all that much, I would be much more greatly disturbed if it was something like... uh, like something more liberal parents would watch :)

dont get me wrong though, I dont really like this

puckmaster
11-11-2002, 11:05 PM
yes, I agree with FalconGuy016, most parents who see this dont really think that this is paintball, its more like hoodlumism. But if they were actually playing paintball(having people shoot back) and then they start shooting bistandards with out masks, then that would be bad for the sport.

Angry Man
11-12-2002, 01:32 AM
They aren't advertising the movie as starring eminem because they feel that they will alienated a large audience of people--people who hate eminem--by doing so. These adverstisements are target towards non-eminem fans and thus emphasize the other cast members, as it has a pretty good cast and an exellent director.

It's assumed that people who like eminem already know he's in the movie and already want to see it. I for one think he's extremely talented and has some good music.

IAMJaws
11-12-2002, 02:17 AM
Y&ou know what I bet there are little groups of Hollywood execs out in california scheming about how they can discredit paintball.
that's a conspiracy theory right up there with Roswell.

these dudes don't conciously go out there to discredit paintball, they see incidents like that on RealTV, and they show it as a valid way to describe the characters as, well, punks.

the more effictive, way to deal with a situation like this is to prevent incidents like the one that inspiered the scene.

The thing that pises me off is that every time something like this comes up, it's the exact same response, and it dosen't even matter how paintball is portrayed.

here's the way we should deal with media portayles of paintball:

-In a case such as this, or Jackass, or Fear Factor, whatever, we should write/email the producers and express our discontent.

- In cases where paintball is portrayed in a incorrect manner, but in a good light, say people on the field w/o proper eye protection, we should treat it as GOOD PRESS. Before someone freaks on me let me explain:
Lay person sees "incorect" TV show (ie CSI), is interested in playing paintball, but has misconceptions. when they go to a field (hopefully a good one), the safety briefing will deal with thoes misconceptions, and we still get a new player. Paintball Wins.

Unfortunatly before paintbal really gets "mainstream", the media will walk all over us, so we can either collectivly complain, or we can take our victories as victories and keep pushing.

scribe
11-12-2002, 05:35 AM
oh god drop this issue. it's a movie. it's not saying anything about the sport of paintball. it's just showing how he was a trouble maker w/ his friends. just make sure you don't do stuff like that.

how ridiculous would it be if you saw them slap on paintball masks before doing that.

i-luv-my-rt
11-12-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by scribe
oh god drop this issue. it's a movie. it's not saying anything about the sport of paintball. it's just showing how he was a trouble maker w/ his friends. just make sure you don't do stuff like that.

how ridiculous would it be if you saw them slap on paintball masks before doing that.

How ridiculous would it be if an actor or any person helping with the movie lost an eye while making the movie. How ridiculous would it be if some kids drive by you in a car and shoot you up damaging your vision. How ridiculous would it be if an alone driver tries to shoot out the window by himself swerves into the other lane and kills a mother and 2 baby kids.

My thoughts might be a little out of line her but if any of these things happen people will look down on paintball and it will hurt the sport. I understand it's just showing how they did stupid things, I do alot of insanely stupid crap but i never put other peoples health on the line, only mine:D

IAMJaws
11-12-2002, 01:03 PM
That's what I just said we shouldn't worry abut the media we should worry about the jackasses that paintball equip for causing trouble.

dre1919
11-12-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Brak
eminem sucks, and thats about it. everyone who likes him makes excuses to me like "well this one song is good", and then the next pile of doos he comes out with is another "only song thats good". and am i the only one who doesnt listen to his music and think he is a downright moron who complains and is making money off of an industry that already reeks of distaste and degration?

personally, i wouldnt mind if eminem went back to the hole he came from and stuck to being a denizen of "8 mile"

Well I'm one person who likes him and I won't make excuses to you saying "this one song is good." Actually, all his songs are quite good IMHO. The argument could be made that there are very few rappers in the history of the musical genre that are as accomplished at complex lyrics and have such a quick, flawless delivery as he does. Rap is difficult enough to produce, but to create something even more complex in it's beat timing and lyrical flow is very challenging. It's too bad you don't like his music or find the humor in almost all his songs, but that's just a personal decision for you. You can always turn off the radio. Like him or dislike him, the man has considerable skill at his craft.

As for the movie, I thought it was very good...especially for a rapper playing a serious role. The movie wasn't a stretch for Em since he's basically playing himself, but he did a good job with it because it could have become cheese real easy. (Anybody seen "Cool as Ice" with Vanilla Ice? You know what I'm talking about!) I really didn't care for the paintball shooting scene that this thread is about, but I also didn't overreact to it either. I think most intelligent people saw that and thought there were a car full of hoodlums using a paintball gun for something illegal. I really don't think people will see that then say "All paintball players are going to go around shooting things or people". They also burned a house down...that doesn't mean people will suddenly think arson is cool.

Stupid people have long since had the option to go strolling through Wal-Mart, see a paintballgun and think "Hey, I could buy that and cause trouble." This isn't a new idea for them, and just because Eminem does it doesn't necissarily mean we'll see a rise in it. I would have rather not seen that in the movie altogether, but that was the director's choice. We've been around the threat of people using our equipment to do illegal things for a long time and we've survived to this point, so I think we'll be ok.

ShooterJM
11-12-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by dre1919

Well I'm one person who likes him and I won't make excuses to you saying "this one song is good." Actually, all his songs are quite good IMHO. The argument could be made that there are very few rappers in the history of the musical genre that are as accomplished at complex lyrics and have such a quick, flawless delivery as he does. Rap is difficult enough to produce, but to create something even more complex in it's beat timing and lyrical flow is very challenging. It's too bad you don't like his music or find the humor in almost all his songs, but that's just a personal decision for you. You can always turn off the radio. Like him or dislike him, the man has considerable skill at his craft.

As for the movie, I thought it was very good...especially for a rapper playing a serious role. The movie wasn't a stretch for Em since he's basically playing himself, but he did a good job with it because it could have become cheese real easy. (Anybody seen "Cool as Ice" with Vanilla Ice? You know what I'm talking about!) I really didn't care for the paintball shooting scene that this thread is about, but I also didn't overreact to it either. I think most intelligent people saw that and thought there were a car full of hoodlums using a paintball gun for something illegal. I really don't think people will see that then say "All paintball players are going to go around shooting things or people". They also burned a house down...that doesn't mean people will suddenly think arson is cool.

Stupid people have long since had the option to go strolling through Wal-Mart, see a paintballgun and think "Hey, I could buy that and cause trouble." This isn't a new idea for them, and just because Eminem does it doesn't necissarily mean we'll see a rise in it. I would have rather not seen that in the movie altogether, but that was the director's choice. We've been around the threat of people using our equipment to do illegal things for a long time and we've survived to this point, so I think we'll be ok.

Yeah what he said.

dre1919 - You might like a rapper called Tech N9ne as well.

dre1919
11-13-2002, 10:27 AM
^^
Thanks Bro.

Yeah, I've thought about picking up a Tech N9ne CD before and checking it out. He's from Kansas City isn't he?

ShooterJM
11-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Yeah first time I heard him was just at a local KC place. Good stuff. He latest cd is absolute power. If you've got a good email I can send you some mp3's of his stuff that he's released for download.

dre1919
11-13-2002, 02:33 PM
Yeah, that's cool. I'll PM you an email that'll be able to handle them. Thanks!

digitard
11-13-2002, 02:36 PM
Well my $0.02 on the whole "its a bad portrayal by eminem for paintballing"

1) He's not a paintballer, and he didn't write the movie .... so he's just following a script writen FOR him by another person. Basically they wrote the movie with his life in mind but he didn't write it.... it was up to the writer and director.

2) Its real life ... does it suck that people do that? Yeah it does, but its real life .... All we can do is try out best, and show our love for the sport and continue to support it. Paintballing is in the top 5 sports played, and its growing astronomically ..... its gonna keep growing, and jackass' will still be jackass' .... but at least we know we're doing our best.

Sincerely,
Dave K

i-luv-my-rt
11-13-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by digitard
Well my $0.02 on the whole "its a bad portrayal by eminem for paintballing"

1) He's not a paintballer, and he didn't write the movie .... so he's just following a script writen FOR him by another person. Basically they wrote the movie with his life in mind but he didn't write it.... it was up to the writer and director.

2) Its real life ... does it suck that people do that? Yeah it does, but its real life .... All we can do is try out best, and show our love for the sport and continue to support it. Paintballing is in the top 5 sports played, and its growing astronomically ..... its gonna keep growing, and jackass' will still be jackass' .... but at least we know we're doing our best.

Sincerely,
Dave K

I agree with what you say but we dont know for sure that eminem didnt write that part of the script. The director could have been like what do you want eminem, and he might have said "i want to shoot a cops ride and and at peeps with a paintball gat, fo sho mang." It could have went something like that.