PDA

View Full Version : Compressed Air on Planes

Pvt.Opium
11-10-2002, 08:34 PM
Me and a friend are flying out of state this winter. We are going to bring our mags with us but are unsure of how the proper way to store them on the air plane. I have a 48 by 3000 with a PMI Perfect On Off. I was thinking that i could just release all the air out and then just leave the On Off open. Any of you guys know?

darklord
11-10-2002, 08:36 PM
that should be fine. Just make sure that pressure won't be building up inside the tank, otherwise there might be problems.

Load SM5
11-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Pack the gun and tank in a lockable hard case. Empty the tank and leave it open to prove that there is no air in it if they look at it. Never refer to it as a gun, but sports gear. Make sure you check it through and not try to board the plane with it.

Pvt.Opium
11-10-2002, 09:37 PM
THanks for your Help Guys

petefol
11-10-2002, 10:05 PM
you could also call the airport, just make sure you dont ask about it right before you board incase theres a problem and you might miss your flight.

Load SM5
11-10-2002, 10:13 PM
Actually I would'nt. I might get there a little early in case there's an issue, but calling them might arouse suspicion. I could cause more problems than it could potentially fix.

Remember you are doing nothing illegal, I've checked with airline regs myself. But some airports may interpret the rules differently.

Knackers
11-10-2002, 10:36 PM
You should always travel with the tank empty and in an open situation. However you could in theory put the tank in Full. As the cargo bay of planes is pressurised the same as the passenger bay.

toymyster
11-11-2002, 12:55 AM
FAA rules state that any tank transported by air should be empty!!! Also, do call the airline and let them know what you are transporting!!! Refer to them as paintball Markers, of course!! But do let the airline know, and when you check your guns in, make sure they know you called ahead!! I have flown on hunting trips and that's what I do with my rifles and have never had any problems!!!

lopxtc
11-11-2002, 04:32 PM
Ive also been told before to take the burst disk out along with the "cap" holding it in.
Anyone know any benefit to this?

Aaron

SlartyBartFast
11-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by lopxtc
Ive also been told before to take the burst disk out along with the "cap" holding it in.
Anyone know any benefit to this?

Proves the tank is empty.

WARPIG also suggests you put a couple of paintball magasines in the case with the marker. Helps prove it IS a sport to any over anxious official who's never heard of paintball before.

Muzikman
11-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Get to the airport early. There is really no need to call, but if you want go ahead. Also, make sure to bring a strap wrench and an adjustable wrench as I have heard a few cases where leaving the valve open is not good enough, they want the reg and tank separated. Just remember that if you do take the reg off the tank, make sure a qualified air smith puts it back on, do not try to do it yourself.

Also, you can ship your gear via FedEx (or any other insured carrier). This is how I travel with my gear. I find it to be a lot easier and less hassle than flying with it.

aaron_mag
11-11-2002, 06:03 PM
I recently travelled with a tank. Did not call in to check and didn't have a problem. I took apart my marker and used the drop forward to keep the valve open (so it could equalize pressure).

I was slightly worried about it but the bag showed up in baggage claim without a problem!

ALF702
11-11-2002, 09:14 PM
i just went on a trip over-seas, I just called them up the night before my flight and told them I was bringing sport equipment. Then packed everything up in a hard case (lockable), my old foot locker I used in college. Checked it with them at the airport and everything was fine. Just make sure you let all the air out of it before you pack everying.. and try and not make it look like a gun.. kinda hard.. but leave the barrel off.. that helps a bit. Other than that.. you shouldn't have any troubles.
but remember.. whatever you do.. dont put it in one of those gear bags that resemble a back-pack and try and bring it on as a carry-on.. 1. they wont let you, 2. it be a real pain at the security checkpoints.