PDA

View Full Version : polishing question

fiendkuja
11-10-2002, 09:04 PM
can you polish the standard black rail to a decent shine? also, can you polish the vertical adapter? i was thinking if i did, i could just take my macro off for a second and run my nitro thru it to clean out any dust so it doesnt get into my valve, but i wont bother if it wont yield a decent shine. (im trying to get a good shiny look and those are the last two pieces i need, and im trying not to break the bank) thanks!

yeahthatsme
11-10-2002, 09:08 PM
this was brought up a while back and somebody(dont rememeber who) made a pictorial of how to sand-polish a mag body. try searching.

fiendkuja
11-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Yes, the tutorial by Doc Nickel was very helpful, but I was wondering as the body rail and vertical adapter are coated differently and are made of a completely different material. I have polished Stainless Steel before but I've heard aluminum doesn't look nearly as good.

nippinout
11-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Shiny stuff!

I have an RT Pro. The body is polished stainless steel and is very shiny. However, I was kinda dissappointed with the rail.

The rail is aluminium and doesn't have a shine to it. Anodizing is only as good as the quality of the aluminium finish. With different aluminim finishes, we can achieve different effects. Satin, shiny, dull...

For a mid-range gun (which is the best mechanical gun IMHO), I would have liked the RT Pro rail to have been polished well.

The rail CAN be made shiny. The ano has to be stripped and the body repolished. Ano again and you have a shiny rail! But if you want a rail as shiny as polished stainless you might want to go with nickle or chrome finishing. This may change the tolerances of the rail though.