PDA

View Full Version : Need info to hydro tank.

Skoad
11-11-2002, 07:06 PM
My nitroduck tank says 3 years on the bottle, but both Luxfer and Nitroduck told me its a 5 year bottle. The problem is im not sure how the fields are going to react to my out of hydro bottle, as its coming up on its 3 year mark.

Figured i should be looking around to get it tested so...

Who do i send it to, what do i send, how much does it avg cost?

i have no idea who will test these so i need major info, and recommended places would be a bonus :)

thanks

RetroEclipseMan
11-11-2002, 07:38 PM
Well, i don't know what to tell you what to do about the hydro date but as far as getting it hydroed check out scuba shops and see if they do it or see where they send their tanks out to. Also welding shops might know where to have it done. Also you could call up your local fire department(don't call 911 whatever you do:p )and see where they have their tanks hydroed if all else fails. The average price that I have found is in between $20-$25.

petefol
11-11-2002, 07:58 PM
i sent my tank here http://www.communityfire.com/pbss/hydro2go.html

xmetal2001
11-11-2002, 08:34 PM
Call your local stores and ask for a local place.

Kevmaster
11-11-2002, 08:38 PM
i dont know the exact rulings(when i took my PTI Classes, 5 year hyrdo didnt exist), but

i believe the tanks originally made for 3 years that fall into the 5 year classification now will NOT be retroactive(meaning you still need your hydro as noted on your tank) however once they are hydroed, they will become 5 year modesl(do it now after 3 years and after that it will be 5 from then on)

someone correct me if im wrong, please....

Nobody077
11-11-2002, 11:13 PM
Kevmaster is right on with his thoughts, there are a few 3year tanks that have been aproved for 5year hydroing. You still need to have the tank hydroed at the 3year time, ask the place that you have do the hydro about it they will restamp the tank with the 5year code if your tank qualifies.

kenshinkandon
11-12-2002, 11:00 AM
www.hydrotesters.com should have all the info you need on your tank you can send your tank to them.

But you could probably find someone nearby you that could test the tank for I found my local welding supply shop has a guy come by every friday and test tanks. It took me one week for me to get a hydro on my tank and it only cost me 17 bucks with no shipping.

Here is a listing of qualified testing facilites that can test your tank they have them all over the US you just have to find one near you.
http://hazmat.dot.gov/files/approvals/hydro/hydro_retesters.htm

Skoad
11-12-2002, 11:04 AM
thx a lot for the info, i went to the hydrotesters site and lookie what i found:

Luxfer Cylinders and Carleton (Pressure Technologies) have both been granted a 5 year re-qualification exemption for their Carbon Fiber wrapped cylinders only! This means that those cylinders must be tested every 5 years instead of every 3 years.

i can't find anything saying it needs to be tested first before it qualifies to be a 5 year, on any site i look at.

SGTKennedy
11-12-2002, 11:26 AM
i would fork out the 20 bucks to get it hydroed, just so you dont come across someone that wont fill your tank and you lose a day of playing.

If you call around to places that service fire extinguishers they will usually be able to hydro- or send you to someone else that can. for cheap. i pay 7.50 for next day. or 10.00 for same day.
Otherwise welding shops and such should be able to help also.
-kennedy

Kevmaster
11-12-2002, 01:33 PM
yeh, i agree. its better to do it now and get it taken care of to ensure always being able to play, rather than risk it not being allowed at a field that doesnt know of the new rules...

Rancid Milk
11-12-2002, 02:27 PM
Hey, if its okay I have a question about my tank too. The hydro date on it is 99, and it is alluminum. I have heard two different stories. I heard that all older anks are 3 year hydro, and I've also heard that alluminum tanks are 5 years. Which is truE? thanks much,
Jeff

toymyster
11-12-2002, 02:57 PM
To my knowlege, metal tanks, steele or aluminum, have always been 5 year!! As to where, check your local dive shops, quite a few of them hydro test in house, which saves you shipping costs, and shipping time!!! Hope this helps!!

Rancid Milk
11-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear :p

Kevmaster
11-12-2002, 09:55 PM
toy, thats not exactly true. most co2 aluminum tanks are 5 year hydro(classification 3-AL and 3-AA). there are some (E-77) that dont EVER require hydro. and E-11s which are your typical HPA tank

take a look on your tank and see what it is. prolly its a 3-AL, meaning 5 year hydro, but i dont know for sure you have a 3-AL