PDA

View Full Version : Little Computer problem here

Will Wood
11-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Ok..typing out my 3 page papper on the orgin of the Internet. My mom wants to check it. Kindely asking to pring it out, I say can't..I dont have a printer! I was going to email it to the teacher, which was a given option. Long story short, she freaked out basically because she just bought a new printer and I'm not using it....because the computer it's on is a old POS..Hrm..

We have cable. The line comes into a lil Ethernet Switch box, splitting the line between the two computers. Now is it possible to make it so when I choose to print on my computer, without a printer, to pring off the one attached to my dads computer. Well..I know its possible...the big question is just how?

Yea..thanks. My mother would greately appreciate it.:)

Any more info you need, don't be hesistant to ask.

FatMan
11-12-2002, 05:47 PM
Will, first you need a network connection between the two computers

next you need to "share" the printer on the computer that has the computer attached

then you need to install a network printer on the other computer

finally, make that printer the default.

The details of all of this is beyond what I can do in a post. If both of your computers are connected to your cable modem, you can probably communicate between them as well, which solves the first problem. The rest is figuring out how to get windows set the way you want. Get a good windows book - look up sharing printers and installing a network printer and you should find what you need.

FatMan

digitard
11-12-2002, 05:48 PM
YES .. its actually quite simple....

1) Go to the computer with the printer, RIGHT CLICK on the "NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD" icon and choose properties ... then make sure "FILE AND PRINT SHARING" is enabled. Then go into the printers folder in "MY COMPUTER" and right click on the printer and choose SHARING and make it shared (if it isn't already preselected)

2) Go to your computer, go to the MY COMPUTER folder and inside open the PRINTERS folder and choose "ADD A PRINTER" and it should give you an option to find the printer on the network. Select that, it should warn you its going to install drivers from another computer ... then when your done you should be able to select print and the printer in the other room will be able to be accessed

NOW keep in mind the other computer has to be on since it has to be logged into the network.

Sincerely,
Dave

Will Wood
11-12-2002, 06:04 PM
Sounds good. I thought it would be something like that. But ..There's def. no folder for network neighboorhood. I remember it on there a while ago..but it seems to be lost now. (Reinstalling windows? Could that have gotten rid of it?)

*EDIT* Ok..found the network on the printer computer. I get an error when I try to go to properties, It wont work :confused: