PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with the poor mans degas method

TippmannMan
11-12-2002, 07:49 PM
hehe much thanks to Dave for actually helping me first. basically he suggested taking the valve out. its quick (you just unscrew the field strip screw) and it gets the job done and doesnt seem to damage anything. i think ill save $30+ dollars and do this unless someone can think of any risks to it ;)

Thordic
11-12-2002, 07:55 PM
Sometimes you get the on/off pin stuck in the body.

If the gun doesn't degas totally (it often doesn't) the on/off valve will shoot out of the gun.

From the viewpoint of someone who managed to shoot himself in the neck with his on/off valve, its not fun :)

Load SM5
11-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Yea, what he said. I don't have a slidecheck on mine anymore. It's not hard to disconnect the QD with the line still pressurized after you turn off the tank. The air blows out and your good. It's a little easier than just pulling the macro and saves the life of your macro as well.

HoppysMag
11-12-2002, 08:03 PM
i almost put my eye out with it once! i made a thread about it too, its such an adreniline rush!!!

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53811&highlight=my+valve+just+blew

TippmannMan
11-12-2002, 09:25 PM
haha sounds funny. well so far ive done it 3 times. you guys have convinced me to get some kind of degas mechanism but im not sure if im having any of the problems you mentioned. i noticed when i take the valve out the on/off pin protrudes but i did it very slowly so it didnt launch out. so anyway i just pushed the pin back in. is that bad?

alf
11-12-2002, 11:41 PM
mine shot out, hit the ceiling, then the tile floor and broke :(

$15 for a new one...that sucked...

-alf

TippmannMan
11-12-2002, 11:52 PM
hmm well i may be jumping to a conclusion without looking in deep enough but tom kaye says

By removing the valve while the mainbody is still attached to the rail the system will degass properly. which is exactly what i do and i get no problem. hopefully thats right

cphilip
11-13-2002, 09:32 AM
I broke an On Off pin that way. Do not do this. Get some kind of device to degass.

hitech
11-13-2002, 05:24 PM
I think we should read more of what Tom said:

Originally posted by AGD
My personal opinion is that removing a macro line from a fitting is a poor choice to degas a gun. I would recommend everyone use some type of degassing fitting to loose all the pressure before disassembly. Most people with screw in tanks will not have a problem. The others will just have to get a degassing fitting because this effect is a normal part of the LVL 10 operation.

I should warn everyone that the Retro Valve and RT Valve will hold residual pressure even with the air source removed. You should NEVER remove your valve and mainbody together and then pull out the valve. This can cause the on/off assembly to shoot out at high speed. By removing the valve while the mainbody is still attached to the rail the system will degas properly. This is the best reason to NOT ADJUST YOUR TRIGGER ROD!!

When he mentioned "removing the valve" he was referring to a RT/Retro valve, AND only AFTER degassing it first.

TippmannMan
11-13-2002, 05:48 PM
ok i posted this somewhere else but hopefully more people read this thread. the residual psi left in my gun eventually went away within about 2 hours. thats great for me but sounds like that is a problem. oh and of course the knob was twisted to the off position.

Dave
11-13-2002, 06:24 PM
I use a quick-disconnect on both my mags. I suggested the very careful pulling out of the valve because he didn't haven't a quick disconnect on there. I would recommend getting one. I, like many others, have had the on/off shoot out, and right near my eye, cause I was looking right at it. And yes, I also broke my on/off pin because it got caught in the field strip screw hole from being pushed outward by residual pressure. Get a quick disconnect...$5-$10, and it's worth every penny.

-Dave

pimped mag 01
11-13-2002, 10:16 PM
whats the big deal?!?:) jus unscrew your tank its not hard or nothing...:)

Load SM5
11-13-2002, 10:23 PM
Not all tanks are screw-in.

Funny pic by the way.

Jonno06
11-13-2002, 10:28 PM
we are lazy..
and that ruins your threads?

i used a Slide Check on my mag..it worked sooo awesome! i loved it

Thordic
11-13-2002, 10:43 PM
The only problem with just popping a QD off at normal pressure is sometimes you blast the o-ring out and it shoots across the room :)

Load SM5
11-13-2002, 10:49 PM
Yea that is a concern. If you do it slowly enough at least the o-ring does'nt fly out. It may pop out of place but you can put it back in. Mine has'nt gone anywhere yet, though.

TippmannMan
11-13-2002, 10:55 PM
my thoughts exactly. i do mine very slow careful to let all the pressure leave the marker while i am twisting it out. then its smooth sailing. worst ever happened to me is the on/off pin shot out against the body and scratched it :mad: but aside from that it slides out real nice and i dont have to touch my macroline fittings at all then i reinsert the valve and all is well

oh i just realized Load SM5 was referring to the QD. but still thats what i do for the valve anyway :)

Load SM5
11-13-2002, 11:00 PM
QD's are cheap man. I may have one around here I'll give you if you stop scratching your mag up.;)

TippmannMan
11-13-2002, 11:03 PM
haha i understand thanks for the offer its just a matter of me hauling my arse to my local store. sooooooooooooooooooooooo much work :p

Load SM5
11-13-2002, 11:06 PM
Get a powerbar, that'll help. Or tie a twinky to a hat just out of arms reach to help push you along.