PDA

View Full Version : Those nice shiney bodys....

Greg711
11-13-2002, 11:01 PM
Dont get me wrong the old grayish color bodys are nice, but I would like to polish my gun body to a nice crome look, I thought I once read that someone had done that. If it is possible to do this can some one please take the time and tell me how it is done and if there might be some problems with it.
Thanks!

Load SM5
11-14-2002, 12:54 AM
All the info on polishing you can eat....:D

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43671&highlight=polishing

oldsoldier
11-14-2002, 02:06 AM
Or, go the lazy way. Mind you, you wont get the highly polished look, but, with a little mother's mag polish, it comes out pretty good. Use crystal drano. Put it in a pan you wont use for cooking ever again, fill it above the level of whatever you want to strip. Add the drano crystals, then put the part in. DONT INHALE THE FUMES!!!! wait like 5 minutes, then using gloves, remove the part and wipe it down. Done! You may want to try this out first, to see what you get for a shine.

swamprat33
11-14-2002, 04:25 PM
Hi, I found that thread last week, and I have now polished my body. It came up a treat with various grades of abrasive paper.
Start with some coarse grade such as 60 or 80. This will quickly remove the original finish. Then use a 120 grade, followed by 300, 600, 1000 and finally 1500 grade. I used wet and dry paper as they work better (and safer) when wet.
Give the body a good clean, then polish it with some Stainless steel polish. There is a good product in the UK called Autosol.
Finally polish with a soft cloth and admire your hard work.

Mine took me two evenings to do and was well worth it.

Nobody077
11-15-2002, 11:42 PM
I used 150, 400, 600 then 1000grit wetsanding. If you have a drill or bench grinder get a good buffing wheel for it and some SS buffing compounds. I used ss cutting compound(black) then added the mirror finish with SS coloring(green) compound.

Nobody077
11-15-2002, 11:45 PM
This is how mine ended up, it started as the sandblasted/oiled body. Take your time if you want a good finish