PDA

View Full Version : basic mag or basic cocker

minion450
11-14-2002, 03:58 PM
I know this is AO but i love the family of this forum and i figured i would get honest info on this.

I want to get a backup gun and i was considering a basic mag or cocker. What would you say is better and why. Please be open about it, not just because you have the gun it is the best. pros and cons.

Or if you think there is another type of gun that is worth gettting that isn't too much. I am talking under $400.

I already have my Angel i just want a backup toy. :) I am realy edging twords a fowerfeed mag.

p.s. i already have a hpa tank

digitard
11-14-2002, 04:11 PM
I say mag ....

Mags are extremely reliable, very easy to maintain and have no exposed parts..... especially for a reliable gun for backup the mag is your best choice

Cockers require a lot of tweaking and maintnance to keep in perfect running condition.

SIncerely,
Dave K

ChucktheMAGician
11-14-2002, 04:24 PM
I agree w/ digitard, but would add that level 10 alone would make me pic a mag! BTW I have a cocker and powerfeed Boo-yaah mag for sale if you're interested!

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55581 ;)

minion450
11-14-2002, 04:55 PM
Level 10? whats that? I know nothing of mags or cockers. Very basic knowlege. I went from a Prolite to an Angel, and before the prolite i had a PMI Tracer. :) i have used spyders and other guns like that. Never touched an mag or cocker.

digitard
11-14-2002, 04:57 PM
Level 10 is a new valve kit that replaces a few components and basically eliminates ball chopping ... So if you fire insane amounts of paint its extremely useful.

Sincerely,
Dave K

Fatjon
11-14-2002, 05:00 PM
Go with the mag.;)

Tron
11-14-2002, 05:03 PM
I have a RT Pro w/ LX and a stock red vert 2002 cocker. Like both guns and you don't have to mess with them all the time like everyone here says. Shoot both and get whatever you like. Actionvillage is having a sale vert cockers with asa and a hinge frame for like $319.

-Tron

Bulldog
11-14-2002, 05:39 PM
If you have knowledge of cockers and are comfortable with them, get a cocker. Same thing goes for a Mag. It looks like you don't know a lot about either, so I would say go for the Mag. The Mag will be more reliable and require less tinkering, which is what you want in a backup.

davidb
11-14-2002, 07:05 PM
I took advantage of that Actionvillage Vert feed cocker deal.

I got:
Blue vert feed cocker with bottomline (blue w/o bottomline was out of stock)
Nickel hinge frame
Blue System X X-10 dropforward with on/off
Macroline kit
Blue barrel condom
Planet Eclipse 4 pod harness
and a couple other little things, all currently en route to my house.

Total cost: $431.08

Pretty good deal in my opinion. I got it for two reasons. First, because it was just too good to pass up. Second, because I needed something to tide me over until I could afford an E-mag or RT Pro. I have used both mags and cockers in the past, and I love both, but every compliment I get on my new cocker will be answered with a recommendation to buy AGD.

As an alternative, Actionvillage also has Minimags and black or polished powerfeed mags (with barrels) going for under 280, so you could add a Level 10 or an intelliframe onto one of those and still be under $400.

This is a cocker lover and very-soon-to-be cocker owner saying, "Go for the mag!".

Trench
11-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Personally I love mags, but it is ALL personal preference. The whole debate on which shoots further and the such is a big load of BS... Get what feels best...

minion450
11-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Well rang isn't an isue with any gun. FPS is FPS. its physics. the ball travels so fast it will go so far before gravities acceleration pulls it to the earth. :) see i learn at school mom. hehe

anyway people seem to be going more with the mag so i have a few questions about it then maybe about the cocker after.

Level 10 looks great. thats a plus. What is the advantage of the retro valve, and what is short stroking.
I have found almost all other info about the mag that i have questioned. This seems to be so basic nobody has asked it so there is nothing i could find in the search.

Anyway thanks for your info and help this far guys/gals

dtm
11-14-2002, 07:45 PM
retro valve is a lot faster than the normal valve. also if you have a adjustable tank (flatline, maxflo) you can put the pressure high and have a reactive mag.

Short stroking is when you dont pull the trigger back all the way when you shoot. This causes the ball in the chamber to chop and then you have a problem. Both cockers and mags short-stroke, BUT, with the level 10, you can't short-stroke :D

I have a Tricked out Rt Pro and i wouldnt shoot anything but a mag now.

Slapp
11-15-2002, 08:34 AM
You want a backup gun that is as completely trouble free as you can get. The last thing you want to have happen is to have your main go down only to find that your backup is also messed up. It is just hard to beat a Mag for durability, reliability and low maintenance.

Bulldog
11-15-2002, 11:37 AM
The retro also recharges faster that the air valve, so if you experience dropoff with the air, go retro. Remember too, retro is compressed air only.

minion450
11-15-2002, 07:36 PM
what are these stars i keep reading people write

ChucktheMAGician
11-16-2002, 11:19 AM
The stars are printed on the side of the mag valve and are "buffed" off when you send the valve back to AGD for repairs. I have a used mag w/ 2 stars left and you can't even tell there were more on there at one time. I have yet had to send a valve back and wonder why you would ever have to. It seems that if you are having a problem someone here could more than likely help you fix it yourself.

minion450
11-16-2002, 06:46 PM
what is the difference between a classic and mini mag. I read somthing about a reverse valve.

InfinatyBPS
11-16-2002, 08:17 PM
Out of the box I say the cocker is best, better trigger pull, looks nicer(the 2k3's have milling and ano), and all u realy need is a drop and air. Cockers are very reliable as long as you don't mess with them, just adjust velocity and don't mess with anything else and no worries about short stroking, chopping, or it coming out of time. And anything that could go wrong with a cocker is just timing, which is very easy to learn...

ChucktheMAGician
11-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by minion450
what is the difference between a classic and mini mag. I read somthing about a reverse valve.

The shape of the bodies is the difference in the classic and minimags. Which still confuses me because Minimags aren't smaller! With a reverse valve the air comes in the left side instead of the right.

minion450
11-18-2002, 05:38 PM
OK Forget the questions! I just want to say i have decided to go with the mag, and i decided to put more money into it. After looking at Action village and there mag prices i went with the RT PRo. :D so this will be my new marker hopefully by Friday.
http://store6.yimg.com/I/actionvillage_1714_348829133

Thanks guys for all of your info. but after going to the shop and feeling the cockers and mags i especialy liked the RT :)

minion450
11-22-2002, 04:53 PM
I just got my RT today. I was almost heading to the shop to get a level 10 kit when i opend the box and it came with one. That was very suprising but it made me soo happy. Now all i have to get is a Halo and some connections for my tank, and i am ready to rip. I will post a picture when i have it done, sometime tomorow, so you guys can see what your help has given me. Thanks Again.

Dayspring
11-22-2002, 04:57 PM
If you have ANY problems setting up the Level 10 kit, hit the boards or even the chat rooms on AO. I know I've helped people set these things up over chat before, as have many others. We're here to help!

Brian68mag
11-22-2002, 06:54 PM
{edit} oops sorry i didnt read down and see what happened, my bad{edit}
Congrats on the RT, have fun with it.
Dont be suprised if she moves from backup to primary :) :0