PDA

View Full Version : Was Emag valve changed?

cledford
11-14-2002, 10:41 PM
I have Emag valve EM00631 and was wondering if it (being an older one) is different then the newer ones.

If you look at the Emag exploded view pdf (located at airgun.com) the quad oring looks like it fits inside a larger white oring. My valve has a small hole in it that the quad oring fits directly into. Is my valve old and due for an upgrade?

The funny thing is that my ReTro valve is also backwards from how the pdf diagram for it looks :) The Retro valve diagram shows a the on/off pin fitting into a single, small oring which fit directly into to valve body - not into any larger oring. Mine has a small oring fitted into a second larger oring which are then both fitted into the valve.

It's as if the two valves are switched, except for the fact that both halves of each has serial numbers on it :)

I had sent the Retro back for service, possibly it was upgraded then.

Does anyone know the story of the differences between my valves and the pdf diagrams?

Thanks,

-Calvin

Havoc_online
11-14-2002, 10:48 PM
Older Emag's were basically the same, the orginal on/off assembly was a little different. Then got the bottom of the on/off assembly was tapped out so the Quad would fit inside the bigger o'ring. that and the shorter on/off pin. I believe that's it, I could be mistaken. Just send your Emag in and it'll get updated(newer bios too)

cledford
11-14-2002, 11:05 PM
According to Black (from a post I found searching)...

"Here's the deal.

If it has an aluminum top, then it should only have the quad o-ring. You can see that they counterbored the hole so only the quad o-ring could fit in the on/off hole. The aluminum top and quad o-ring only was found on the first 1000 E-Mags or so. They use a .725" pin.

The all brass on/off assembly uses a .712" pin and the quad o-ring and PT o-ring around it. The bottom of the on/off is the same depth, it's not counterbored like the valve with the aluminum top."

Only thing is mine doesn't have the aluminum top. I'm going to dig out the caps and measure the pin length - I think this is the problem.

Does anyone know which way (old style - just quad/.725 pin, new style - 2 orings/.712 pin) is better, or if there is any difference at all?

In my case, I've got a all brass on/off with a counter bored valve. I'm guessing I need a .712 pin, right ? ;) My gun is mixed up :)

-Calvin

P.S. If there is no diff I'd like to avoid sending it in - I've got 1.37 firmware and it would cost me a lot to ship/insure a $995 marker. hoping Jon can just mail me a pin...

Havoc_online
11-14-2002, 11:19 PM
hehe so mine was the short way.

the reason behind the quad was for less friction, does it give even less friction with an o'ring around it? I'm not sure but why would they of gone through the trouble to do it if it wasnt better.

BlackVCG
11-15-2002, 02:17 AM
Don't know why AGD switched to the two on/off top o-ring design in the E-Mag Valve, but that's the way it is now. If you send in the E-Mag for service, they will bore out the hole and add the brass on/off top, .712" pin and second on/off top o-ring. If you have a brass top, then you need the .712" pin. Or get an aluminum top and keep your .725" pin.