PDA

View Full Version : suggestion regarding Level 10 oring carriers

nicad
11-15-2002, 07:33 PM
just a thought..
instead of having 9 carriers and multiple orings to try to get that perfect fit on a level10.. why not make an adjustible oring compressor.. like that found in the back of an angels ram for adjusting the snap tension.

Iv actually done this, and without testing it fully, seems to work great so far.
I replaced the plastic backing washer with an aluminum one that is .043" thick. i then put in a carrier/oring that was too big and would normally leak. after this I put in 4 shims (which i run in my setup), and then the tip.

with my setup and 4 shims, the this new backing washer of .043" will just start to make contact and compress everything together as the tip is almost bottomed out.

as I tighten the tip down another 1/8 turn or so, the oring inside the carrier gets compressed between the carrier and my backing washer.. making it go the only way can.. IN! I can set it, linearly, to any size i need.. and can adjust it anywhere.

this was a crude implementation of it.. but couldnt AGD make just one carrier (tapered walls, etc..) and a new backing washer with a slighty tapered surface so that it would compress the oring as the tip is scrwed on (or some other means of compression.. tip just seems to be easiest)?

to move the carrier forward or backward, instead of removing or adding shims, you would move them from the front of the carrier to the back of the carrier or vice versa.. always keeping the same number of shims (4, 5?) in the stack.

about the only thing left would be to keep the tip from twisting in/out while in use... right now the oring in it does pretty well.. but locktite might be in order for this.

ok back to breaking things.. :)

Tunaman
11-15-2002, 08:23 PM
Well! That certainly is a highly qualified idea. Except for the fact that TK has already figured this out. I believe there are too many variables to create a "pefect fit everytime". And the many options that are given to us in the Level 10 kit are needed. MANY different configs are showing up. You need most of those carriers I have found. You are on the right track though, and I applaud your ingenuity. Keep tinkerin' Bro!:D ;)