PDA

View Full Version : Freak insert offset problem

Seabass
11-16-2002, 10:59 PM
I never noticed this until it was pointed out to me today. I was told it's like this on all mag freak backs. Look at the lip inside of the insert on the right side of the pic, and how it sticks out. Is there any mag freak owners that doesn't have this problem?

It's brand new an yeah it's a lil dirty as I was breaking paint left and right in my LX Emag. Mainly poor paint .. viper venom or somethin like that. Horrible stuff Every barrel I used, it broke. Oh and my buddies Angel and mag both were breaking it in the gun. Bad stuff! - Seabass

Jonno06
11-17-2002, 01:25 AM
when i had my mag,and my freak kit..it was never like that,and it worked great..im not sure what you mean,but my insert went all the way in,like it was supposed to..and all that other good stuff...can u explain ur problem more...i cant see the picture very well..

rudy
11-17-2002, 02:05 AM
well my freak is like that too if i ever get around to playing more paintball i might drill some holes and tap them so i can use some small grub screws to get it to line up better. Ever since level 10 my mag doesnt break paint at the bolt anymore all my breaks are ripped open by that stupid freak insert not lining up.

Seabass
11-17-2002, 09:26 AM
Jonn can you see the right side of the barrel on the inside toward my thumb. That dark ring lip, that's the insert sticking up, on the opposite side you really can't see it but it's recessed about as much as it's sticking up on the other side. So actually the freak insert is offset just a tad. I wasnt breaking any balls in the breach today but I was getting some splatter into my powerfeed. I believe some of the balls were getting caught on that lip and getting shredded. I have had no problems with my freak on my autococker but that's a different type of back and the insert fits into it perfectly.

The set screw solution , If you get this to work let us know but I just tried pushing down on the insert and I couldnt get it to move. You'd probably have to hone out the back just a tiny bit to get a little extra room, even then I'm not sure I'd want a set screw pressing against those inserts. You would probably have to unscrew it everytime you wanted to change sizes. Pain in the you know what. I'm thinking I might sell my freak back and go with another barrel system. I'll keep the front for use with my freak for my cocker or If I ever get an extreme mag then I'll be using that again. However you shouldn't have to pay 200 bucks for a barrel system then have to modifiy it to work properly. - Seabass

Shirow
11-17-2002, 10:05 AM
Steve from the AGD Lions was telling me about this - he had to order 5 backs just to get one that fit properly.

I'm definitely getting a J&J edge kit instead of a freak.

cphilip
11-17-2002, 12:28 PM
I have four freak backs and none of them have that problem. All of them you cannot see the join of the insert to the back at all. That one is defective. Call em and send it back. I have seen some like that other people have gotten and they were replaced. But no that is not right at all. get it replaced.

snakestang
11-17-2002, 01:55 PM
Had a similar problem on one of mine. I was told by Smart Parts to send it in and they would replace the oring. I never bothered to do it and it never really seemed to cause a problem.

AirChunck
11-17-2002, 02:43 PM
Around the time that the mag freak appeared, I asked the sales assoc. at C.O. Paintball to show how they worked. And both he and I were stumped at the same problem, he sent that freak back, back. That turned me off to purchasing a freak.

Jonno06
11-17-2002, 03:15 PM
oh yea,i see it now..

mine wasnt like that..

can u maybe bend the insert a tad,so it is more flush with the freak back?

Xzion
11-17-2002, 09:09 PM
From what I understand, the 'mag freak backs are suppose to have a slight lip, but it should be even all the way around, not offset to one side or the other (neither vertically and/or horizontally)

My Freak back had the same, and called smart parts about it, they replaced mine with no questions asked. at the time (which was a good while back) they had only recieved one other back with the problem. Perhaps their QC department mucked up again, or the first batch is just further surfacing.

I'd talk to Smart Parts about it.

Spray Painter
11-17-2002, 09:30 PM
just went and checked my freak backs/imserts and there was a very slight lip in the back but it went all the way around