PDA

View Full Version : What brand of drums should I get?

Trigger_Happy
11-18-2002, 03:20 PM
Hey all! I want to start drumming. I want to know what is supposed by most to be the best brand of drums. Please only post if you actually know what you are talking about :)

Also, please tell me what is right! If I asked someone what the best marker is, I pray they wouldn't tell me "a spyder" just because they own one! Don't play up your brand just to play up your brand!

My friend has been hypeing a brand called "HAWK". What's the general opinion on that brand?

Lastly, for the sake of this, let's say that cost is no factor. Just tell me top of the line brands. Thanks guys!

Mango
11-18-2002, 06:40 PM
My friend is a drummer and swears by Premier. I don't know if they are expensive or not but...those are all he uses.

Vegeta
11-18-2002, 07:04 PM
I haev played drumset for four years, play and have played with some of the best drummers in this region (and possibly country).

If you wan't to just start 'drumming' you shouldn't gop out and buy a set. I started out playing snare drum in my schools concert band, and having only a pad to practice on. I used to school's drumset to start on, and bought a Peavey International II series set as a beginner set. I still have it, and still use it, for I haev not found a reason to get anohter. I have, of course, put on new heads, new hats, gotten new cymbals, but I never found anything wrong with the tom shell construction. Nice and rigid.

Some people will swear by Yahmaha. I do not. I have used yamaha's products before and you ahev to go pretty expensive to get good quality. I have played on their 14" kevlar marching snare heads before and theyr sfz line of marching sanres and.. the heads suck. The snare itself wasn't bad tho.

IMO the set is not what makes the drummer. If you have talent you can make anything... i don't care if it is mil jugs.. sound rythmic. I can play the smae thing on my set as I can on my desk at school. the tone definition may not be there, but it is all the same.

Get some nice cymbals. If you plan on playing in front of an audience, get some nice heads too. Do not settle for the cheap heads htat come with the set. They are usually one ply and won't last very long. Play on them, but once htey start getting dented up, pitch them and get new.

As for heads- lots of people stick with Remo just because they have been around hte longest. I don't have anything against Remo but I woukld rather play an some nice two ply Evans heads than pinstripe two plys. Always get two ply heads. This means htere are two layers of plastic, with a layer of oil in between. They have great tone definition and resonance, and last very, very long, both remo and evans. My friend and colleage has played on the same set of Remo Pinstripe two ply's for three years. I play on Evans 2-plys. I wouldn't go with any other than those two. They will run you anywhere from 9-10 bucks for 12-13 inch to 15-16 for 15-16 inch (floor toms).

Cymbals... the age old debate between Sabian and Zildjian.
I have to say I am a big fan of the new AAX 17 inch dark crash by Sabian. Also their new hand hammered series... I like the 10 inch HHX splash.

I personally and getting both those I just mentioned above soon. A good cymbal will run you from 80-90 for a small splash to 130+ for a crash. Expect to see rides in the 150-180 range. Stands are cheap.. you can usually find some cheap Tamas for around 40-50.

If I were you I would get a nice mentor in the field too. A guy I play with has some of the most expressive and innovative hands I have ever seen. I will easily rank this guy near those like Buddy Rich. And so will everyone who has ever heard him. I have learn alot from him but mainly from trial and error. Listen to LOTS of recordings. Some big names are Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, the new and upcoming Dennis Chambers (accliamed the greatest drummer around now by some) etc. Search Kazaa or Win MX for drum solos.

Don't go all out on your first set. Mine cost a meere 550. Use what otehr money you have to add things on. Start with cymbals, maybe some hats it the originals don't sound too great, then add maybe another tom on an extension arm, i haev a fettish for piccolo snares... whatever you want. Each person's set is unique to them. It takes a while to play good after sitting down at a new set.

I could go on and on.. but I have work to do :)

Trigger_Happy
11-18-2002, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys!

Vegeta- I get it that the player make the equiptment rock and not the other way around. All the same, I wanted some pointers so as not to waste my money. You offered some pointers, so I appreciate your post. Thanks!

EsPo
11-18-2002, 08:13 PM
my best friend has a tama rockstar.. it sounds nice..

bowser************
11-19-2002, 03:47 PM
yo now i dont actually play drums but i was checking out all this stuff a while ago b/c i was buying a guitar, and i know some friends that play drums. I would prob say one of the best deals has to be the swingstar ready to rock, comes w/ zildjians (sp) and everything, or if cost is no object i think that Pacific makes some really nice stuff. any1 plz correct me if im wrong

NewMag
11-19-2002, 10:33 PM
Been playing percussion for the past two years now, and have found Remo/Yahmaha/Pearl all very nice sets to play. And as vegeta said it not the set that makes the drummer heck look at STOMP. But if you have the cash definitely go D.W.

DW has been hailed as the Rolls Royce of percussion. Cause they start out around 4,000 bucks for a basic setup. they are worth every dang penny though. each set is tone matched and hand made to oder specs. You will not get any better strength, response, and sound from anything else man. if ya need more info they have a website, dont know it offhand though.

DW also has a budget line(WOOT), they go by the name Paciffic.

But if you are just going to start learning, any set will do. even if you start out with nothing but a practice pad and some used sticks, any practice helps. Air drum if you have to(you learn stick control that way).

My experience led me to one mistake I made, make sure you have good hardware, they may look strong but extensive playing really does wear the stuff down. Pearl/Gibraltar are two cheap hardware big wigs.

As far as cymbals go, Sabian and Ziljian are NOT the only ones to go with. My advice is to go Paiste. even their entry stuff like the 502 line has good sound for budget stuff.

Heads: that comes with preference man, as does everything else. I like Aquarian because of their flat/ non resonant tone. but their bass heads rock the hizouse, Studio X or Powerstroke III's(Powerstroke may be Remo, unsure) work awesome.

If you buy anything though get sticks first. You have to shop around though for what you feel most comfortable with. Normally at a music spot they'll have a practice pad near their stick shelves. but as far as brands go. Pro Mark or Vic Firth. both are very nice companies. Vic makes em a bit tougher though IMO

Also as Vegetea said, A mentor is an awesome thing to have. I'm all self tought and I totally wish I wasnt. little 13 yr old playing a year under pro teachers can play circles around me. But if you cant get a teacher/influence listen to recordings, try playing along with your fav. bands. If you know drummers, watch and learn. Any drummer worth his floor tom would be more than happy to lend a hand to ya.

well that's my two bits, rock on and do not hesitate to bust out the pots and pans if you hafta. welcome to the world of unsung heros.

pito189
11-20-2002, 08:45 AM
I had a friend I worked with this summer, and he was in a band. He swore by Tama I think it was. Said he couldn't play without them.

Ironmag
11-21-2002, 06:57 PM
I friend of mine likes his Yamaha set, and it really looks supa sweeeeeet.