PDA

View Full Version : Spinning my balls

Crimson_Turkey
11-20-2002, 12:27 AM
I read in the tech tips section that ball spin does not work because of the fill not spinning. Can you explain the flatline then?

TippmannMan
11-20-2002, 01:06 AM
im no expert but i think the ball spin controversy is mostly applied to rifled barrels. for the flatline the barrel creates a backspin on the ball. and i dont think the ball is being spun nearly as fast as a rifled barrel. hard for me to put into words but the ball is spinning very rapidly in a rifled barrel and the fill cannot catch up so it either doesnt affect accuracy at all or causes the ball to wobble. with the flatline i dont think the ball rotates nearly as fast and its on a backspin rather than a twisting motion. just try to picture it i think it makes sense. being a flatline user myself i can say that range was most definitely increased but i was shooting so slow people could catch my balls and it has hard to break paint at long distances.

Crimson_Turkey
11-20-2002, 01:11 AM
I think that if anything the rifled barrels would spin slower. That may be the alledged problem with them. I have heard that the polygon-progressive barrels are great though.

pbzmag
11-20-2002, 01:59 AM
With the flatline and the z-body, both puts a backspin on the ball. This spin creates a high pressure pocket under the ball thus creating lift. it can be easily demonstrated by holding a piece of paper with your thumb and index finger on one end and let the rest over your hand. Next blow across the top and the paper will rise. By blowing across the top, you are creating lower pressure pocket on top than on the bottom. With this type of systems, the ball needs to spin freely in the barrel. To do this you need a large bore barrel. If the ball does not roll out easily, friction is created, slowing the spin, thus not allowing the ball to fly a flatter trajectory.

Crimson_Turkey
11-20-2002, 09:44 AM
I know that (sorr to sound b**chy). Plus the low pressure is on top of the ball. Just in tom's tech tips he says that spinning a ball has no effect.

pbzmag
11-20-2002, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the correction. My bad. Just like any red-blooded American, I'll blame the time I wrote my last post, 11:30pm last night, instead of my intellect! LOL

xrancid_milkx
11-20-2002, 11:51 AM
A rifled ball would be pointless. Te ball wouldn't spin at all if any. Try spinning a raw egg, you can't. Same goes for paintballs. A rifled barrel would just affect the travel of the Compressed Air/C02 through the barrel. The reason paintballs get back spins out of the flat-line is only because when the ball is shot it rolls up the curve in the barrel and is still rolling as it leaves the barrel. To compare to the egg again, you can't spin a raw egg, but you can roll it down a slope because gravity is "pushing" it down the slope. The paintball rolls up the curve in the barrel because the Compressed Air/C02 is "pushing" it up the barrel. Hopefully I helped.

Crimson_Turkey
11-20-2002, 01:37 PM
But then after rolling against the top of the barrel it must spin while in flight to attain the flat trajectory and longer range. Otherwise it would function just like a normal barrel. I have spun a raw egg. I think that paintballs are not like them in that the paintball's shell accounts for more of the volume and mass (% wise) of the ball than a shell for an egg. Plus when you spin a raw egg there is the friction of the surface it is being spinned on in addition to the liquid inside. I'm going to roll an egg off of a surface and se how it spins on the way down. This will eliminate friction against the shell from the picture although not %of shell.

TippmannMan
11-20-2002, 10:36 PM
like i said before... the flatline increases range noticably. i have a dye ultralite and flatline for my model 98 and if you dont think the flatline shoots further you have no depth perception. trust a flatline owner. as for the rifling it may not work the way it was intended to but ive heard nothing but positive from users of armson barrels with the new polygon progressive rifling.