PDA

View Full Version : first tourney tips?

paintslinger
11-22-2002, 11:46 PM
hey guys im playin in my first tourney on sunday. its a 3man. just wondering if anyone had some 3man tips and stuff. i'll be playing back. thanks

FalconGuy016
11-23-2002, 12:12 AM
I just played my first tourny recently, 3 man too, it was great. I cant give you foolproof advice cause we basically experimented the whole day, but the thing that we had to do the most to win was cover the entire field, and try to get the lead on an opponet; like have your gun out ready to shoot someone that is about to pop around a bunker, be on defense, its so much easier

and cover the whole field! it sucks to be gotten from the side (which we did to a few other teams :))

Curly
11-23-2002, 12:19 AM
My tip is:

When i shoot you, get off the field or you are getting bonus balled like mad ;). HEHE just kidding frank. Good luck on sunday. Not sure if i am playing yet, joe seems to be backing out.

Marek
11-23-2002, 12:44 AM
Just played my first 3 man a few weeks ago, and tho im no expert, here are the things that i learned from it.

Have fun. Thats the whole reason u r out there. Its weird and strange and completely new for u, enjoy it.

Communicate. I was told this, we tried it and didnt do a good job about it. It is the most important thing out there hands down. Scream like ur in a New York Pizza Parlor and u havent eaten in days.

As the back player, off the break, shoot like u r sponsored by a huge corporation. (ie shoot like mad) And also see where the ppl on the other team r hiding. And then tell ur teammates. Loudly. And dont get shot out, thats bad too.

Watch as many of the other games as u can. Find out what kind of team ur up against. Defensive, Offensive, etc. Watch ur opponents as much as u can.

Have something light all throughtout the day. This is not the time to recreate the last supper, so dont eat/drink like it is. Cokes, candies, pizza, 1 lb of Ben and Jerry's, etc. all bad.

Hope this helps and good luck. Just remember its ur first time out, so learn from it.

Brian68mag
11-23-2002, 12:57 AM
Communicate with your front players ALOT and make sure they communicate with you. Walk the field and find the probably paths their front men will run. Have your runners run a route where you can cover the lanes they will be exposed to on the run. Watch other games and find what lanes people are running through and use that knowledge. Dont get to nervous, its just paintball :) Play smart, dont tell your front players to go unless your sure they will accomplish something and/or not get out. Keep the enemy worried about you, never play easy on them, if they give you an inch sticken out, give them a welt. Play smart, if you find something that works stick with it for awhile before changing(other teams WILL be watching you, stay ahead of them). Dont shoot for too long off the break or you will get shot yourself, make sure you get to cover too!.
Have fun!

paintslinger
11-23-2002, 02:42 AM
kool thanks guys anything else?

Dayspring
11-23-2002, 03:29 AM
YELL & SCREAM to communicate to the front guys. Let them know where everybody is.

LAY PAINT. Lots of it.

Most of all? HAVE FUN!

freq
11-23-2002, 09:02 AM
if u r playing back the biggest thing besides talking to your front guys is to lay a **** load of paint to let your front guys advance!!!!! stay calm and if one of your guys gets out fill in!!!! and think if u win u get her!!!!....

Kevmaster
11-23-2002, 10:26 AM
communication is the biggest thing. without it you will not do well...call out when a guy moves, when you see a teammate eliminated, when you eliminate one of them. so like if you shoot their first guy out and you have all your guys, call "G1, 3 UP!" and yellt hat like 2-3 times...then when you get their second guy but you only have two guys, "G2, 2 UP!", etc

also, off the break, have two guys walking to their bunker to spray paint in the lanes. pick out two bunkers you think their guys will go to. spray that bunker making it almost impossible to get into it. this should get you an eliminaton off the break

get there early and learn the field. know where you can go and where the other side can shoot you from. there will be instances where you can crawl to the next bunker and the other team wont know you moved because of other bunkers....use that to your advantage!

finally, have fun. you prolly wont win the thing seeing how it is your first one. my tema placed 18th of 21 at our first tourny. then the same season, we placed 1st and 2nd in two later oners.....just food for thjought

Oddball
11-23-2002, 10:52 AM
I think it was paintball games int. that summed it up best with an article summery like this about 9 months ago

Get good directions to the field
Don't wear camo
Don't wear camo
Don't wear camo
Don't wear camo

For the first tourny just go out and play.

Trench
11-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Mainly, just have fun... And, be sure that your gun is in great working order now before you go... My first was the AO in SC and my gun went down so I was out of the tourny...

Marek
11-23-2002, 01:43 PM
My teammates gun gimped out the night before our tourney, and he ended up using his Emag valve on my back up gun. Worked out fine, but would have been interesting if I didnt have that gun. So if u can, have a back up setup for the team, just in case.

MrMag
11-23-2002, 02:21 PM
frank- dont plan on really playing back. on sherwood's pos field, it is really hard, and you will end up playing midish back.

when you are on the side closest to the chrono, go straight to the right tape, where the sherwood forest sign is. no one will remember that you are there. you can take out their back midish guy, then their front from the position.

paintslinger
11-23-2002, 08:00 PM
alex both u and curly think im goin to the sherwood tourney when im not...im goin to the acepaintball one so its air ball and i can actually play back. thanks for the advice though, everyone.

paintslinger
11-23-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Oddball
I think it was paintball games int. that summed it up best with an article summery like this about 9 months ago

Get good directions to the field
Don't wear camo
Don't wear camo
Don't wear camo
Don't wear camo

For the first tourny just go out and play.

noooooooooooo my pants are camo!!! we are really gonna lose now :cool:

Jonno06
11-23-2002, 09:14 PM
just HAVE FUN!!!!!!

and good luck!

WhyIsItUpsideDown?
11-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Alright im going to tell you how to win now listen closely....shoot the other team out and not get shot. That is the secret of winning tournaments.

automan39
11-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Alright im going to tell you how to win now listen closely....shoot the other team out and not get shot. That is the secret of winning tournaments

darn i always thought it was to get the flag;)

yeah communication, having fun, and willing to take a risk is what u need most

paintslinger
11-24-2002, 12:08 AM
kool thanks guys tomorrows the big day. i hope all goes well i'll have pics for ya. thanks for the tips. wish me luck :)

MrMag
11-24-2002, 03:04 AM
GO FRANK GO, GO FRANK GO, GO FRANK GO

Kevmaster
11-24-2002, 12:23 PM
good luck buddy, rep AO well :)

WhyIsItUpsideDown?
11-24-2002, 03:32 PM
If you dont we will break your knee caps....;)

Blennidae
11-24-2002, 04:33 PM
A good tip might be if you have the secret extra guy in the woods, make sure no one sees him...:D

Kevmaster
11-24-2002, 04:55 PM
make sure hes on YOUR side of the field too...then he wont be shooting people in teh BACK!(just somewhat obvious)

11-24-2002, 07:42 PM
Were u playing the Kill Switch 3man in NY?

MrMag
11-24-2002, 08:32 PM
no he wasnt, he is in ca

paintslinger
11-24-2002, 10:01 PM
well boys and gals im officially a tourney player aaaaaaaah hehehehe. well it was loads of fun. we got 13th out of 15. not to bad considering it was our first time playing as a team, first tourney, and all the other teams were pro and amerature:( :rolleyes: . i did a good job with communicating with my team while i was playing back but didn't get to shoot as much as id like. i still learned some things and had lots of fun and thats all that counts :). i didnt get any pics but check www.sacpaintball.com b/c they might have some. thanks for the advice guys and i cant wait till the next one.

the123
11-24-2002, 11:03 PM
Bring EXTRA 9v batteries.

Curly
11-25-2002, 01:03 AM
Yeah i feel sorry for you frank. I can understand it being hard to play your first tourney against some big names from: SC Ironmen, Bob's Ironmen and Kapp Factory etc. I dont think you guys did too bad considering the fact it was open class. Good Job.

Curly
11-25-2002, 01:17 AM
Found a pic of you Frank.
http://sacpaintball.com/albums/APP_3_MAN/add.jpg

paintslinger
11-25-2002, 08:49 PM
hehehe yea i saw that 2day at skool. as u can see i gots my game face on. that was actually after our last game and we were packin up to leave. we wanted to stay so we can atleast get the sportsmanship award :)hehehe. but yea now i can say "i got owned by both ironmen teams :)" hehehe. but even though i still had fun.

FeelTheRT
11-25-2002, 10:43 PM
Depending on the field layout, i would concider some different stratagies. If its a fairly small field, i would prefer to have all the players burn the snot out of the lanes. If you pick a player off the break, most likely its over for them. You have one guy pin down one player and another guy keep on the other guy and ur 3rd guy will just run up getting into good angles and eliminating them.

If your field is long, then i would try to have atleast 1 or two running off the break. You should ALWAYS have atleast 1 person shooting off the break. He dosnt hve to be burning a lane or a certain bunker but atleast shooting. That'll boost your chance of hitting a player off the break up slightly. Remember, he who controls the 50 normally wins so it is a good idea to have slightly more players up front, but just dont get too aggressive with the moving or u'll get ur *** handed to you.

For 3 mans, i wouldn't recommend playing the snake if there is one. Speaking from expirience, it is best to have someone behind u in he snake guiding you whos where and whats going on. IF your just doing it alone, it really isn't too much help even though it is nice to be abel to move from ur 40 to 60 with ease, but it just cuts off the communication. If you see an opponent player playin teh snake, pin him down, cut off his communication. The sound of a paintball hitting a hyperbal bunker is pretty loud. So if your shooting at the general lcoation of where he is at, it will be very hard for him to hear what the rest of the team is saying. Communication is very imporant as well.

In a 3 man, it usually does come down to individual skills due to the lack of players. I know some people that are just these one man team type guys that are bunkering mahcines. Put them on any 3 man team and they would kick. do some snap shooting drills before hand. Snapshooting is a very useful skill to have.