PDA

View Full Version : SLUG Bodies for sale in Store!!!

AGD
11-25-2002, 03:45 AM
AO Machinists,

We have put a limited number of SLUG bodies up for sale in the store. These are the same protos we have been talking about for a while. See what you can do with them!

AGD

SLUG's (http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=349&CATID=5)

Havoc_online
11-25-2002, 04:08 AM
Very Cool!

Cristobal
11-25-2002, 06:06 AM
Yes, very cool indeed! One question: how do the bolt spring washer and retaining clip attach?

Will Wood
11-25-2002, 07:39 AM
Sweet! I might have to get one!

Dragoon
11-25-2002, 08:10 AM
Is the ball detent the only part of the body that needs machining in order to use? Is the sear slot pre cut?

shartley
11-25-2002, 08:42 AM
I will be watching to see what folks do with them. I know I would not personally pay $150 for it in raw for....

mag-hatter
11-25-2002, 07:37 PM
when will they be available for classics?

Ov3rmind
11-25-2002, 07:53 PM
I'll be eagerly awaiting to see what some of you guys can turn out with these things.

Will Wood
11-25-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by mag-hatter
when will they be available for classics?

I believe that RTPRO (not old RT) and Emag bodies should fit on a classic, but not vice-versa. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Kevmag
11-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by shartley
I will be watching to see what folks do with them. I know I would not personally pay $150 for it in raw for....

I agree with this statement. I thought by keeping the body a cylinder the cost to manufacture would be reduced. I hope with increased volumes the prices will drop.

Coaster
11-25-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Will Wood

I believe that RTPRO (not old RT) and Emag bodies should fit on a classic, but not vice-versa. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

rtpro and emag bodies will not fit on the classic body rail, so one must buy the new rail then the body will fit on.

Emagster
11-25-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Coaster

rtpro and emag bodies will not fit on the classic body rail, so one must buy the new rail then the body will fit on.

yes they will. I sold my RT PRO body to a team mate who has a classic mag a long time ago and it works just fine. and about 4 weeks ago, i sold an e-mag body(exact same body) to another team mate with, again, a classic mag.

petefol
11-25-2002, 10:40 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12914&highlight=main+body

Originally posted by RobAGD
Now, while it's not a factory backed suggestion you COULD use an RT Pro or Emag body on an Automag/MiniMag. While you CAN'T use the Automag body on an RT Pro or Emag.

Meanwhile the Automag, MiniMag, Smartmag, MicroMag, ReTro valve, RT Pro, Emag valves are all "BASICALLY" interchangable.

-Robert

SlartyBartFast
11-26-2002, 06:05 PM
Something doesn't smell right.

The slug body was promoted as interchangeable between all mags except the old-RT. That's supposed to be the reason it uses your current rail. The only difference between classic and RT-Pro/Emag would seem to be the thickness of the body rail and height of the grip frame.

Sorry AGD, but you stated that the reason you weren't making a square block body that would replace body and rail was because of sear placement issues/differences and the desire to make ONE slug body only.

Coaster
11-26-2002, 06:26 PM
i think this price is just a tad too high... $150 for a tube of the most common element in the earth's crust that is easier to mill(not that much was done.) It also doesn't include a feed tube. The PTP micromag bodies retail for this same price, buy include a feedtube and have numerous different colors and ARE milled.

Just curius , but how many people have bought these?

RetroEclipseMan
11-26-2002, 09:22 PM
Yeah, $150 seems a bit high especially since they still need to be tapped for a ball dedent and milled but you still gotta remeber that they are protos and in limited supply so the price is gonna be higher. I'm sure once they go into full production the price will go down.

MagDog68
11-26-2002, 11:37 PM
Well it is a limited production run - I guess it all depends on how much it cost them to produce what they have - besides, nobody is forcing you to buy it :)

~Fred

PS Hi everyone, I am back from my hiatus.

Cristobal
11-27-2002, 06:55 AM
While the cost to buy and then annodize one of these slugs in order to actually use it is more than I'm ready to pay right now, what I might try and do is to turn a piece of round stock into a mock-up of what a milled slug might look like. It wouldn't be functional, but it would be a much cheaper way of trying out designs.

EDIT, NOTE: Considering that a normal mainbody sells for about as much in the online store, I don't think that the price is necesarilly excessive for a limited-run millable annodizable aluminum body... just more than I feel like paying for a slug to experiement with. If I had a design down and could get the finished product annodized for a fair price things might be different.

ChucktheMAGician
11-27-2002, 08:13 AM
$150 may be alot for a raw body but I bet Tom doesn't have them made by the thousands like the other bodies, and aluminum may be plentiful but it doesn't grow on trees! "This is a limited production prototype body" seems like supply and demand to me. Tom has to at least break even and there will be people who buy them and have completely unique mags, so to them the cost is insignificant. I'm wondering who will be the first to offer milling and annodizing services and start selling completed bodies?! PM me when you do!

Laser
11-27-2002, 08:20 AM
Tom has to break even huh? Bull, Tom is a business man and if he isnt makeing money off the new slugs he sure the heck isnt going to make them

circus5
11-27-2002, 08:02 PM
i'm gonna buy one and see if i can get mark costa of impact paintball to do something with it, kinda doubt he'll be willing, he seems to have some sort of monogamy with angels... but maybe a mag will seduce him.

Jerhew
11-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Laser
Tom has to break even huh? Bull, Tom is a business man and if he isnt makeing money off the new slugs he sure the heck isnt going to make them

well that is true in the long run...
but this is research and developement, these are prototypes and that tends to mean they are expensive to make...
but as they say, you have to spend money to make money...
im sure he just wants to see what we can do with them, see if we actually like them...etc

besides some people like to be able to say "i was the first to have it"
so for them the money is no big deal

boomerfoxtrot
11-28-2002, 08:24 PM
well, if I had an extra $150 to spend.. I'ld buy one and let a friend mill it out and all... but I don't ...

if anyone has already milled on of the slug bodies out.. please... give us a pix.. I still haven't seen one milled...

Lone Brain Cell
11-28-2002, 08:57 PM
I love the look of Mags but that slug thing is Yuck!:eek:

What were you guys thinking when you decided to make that????

I'm gonna get flamed I just know it:)

I suppose I should reserve my judgement till some come back from the mill;)

mykroft
11-29-2002, 12:15 PM
Well, Lone. These are blanks, for milling, not finished bodies. And the cost is high because they are a limited run item as such. Likely the finished bodies are going to be around the same price, due to reduced unit costs from a much longer production run.

benzy2
11-29-2002, 12:30 PM
have you guys checked the price in a while. It now looks as if they are 100 instead of 150. I think that is a lot better on the price range. I wish i had a mill to do some cool designs.

shartley
11-29-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by benzy2
have you guys checked the price in a while. It now looks as if they are 100 instead of 150. I think that is a lot better on the price range. I wish i had a mill to do some cool designs.
There are TWO threads about this... Tom has stickied the new lower price thread up top..... take a look. ;)

benzy2
11-29-2002, 12:41 PM
yes but it looks like these guys didnt realize that. I saw the price and wanted to make sure they noticed it too.:D