PDA

View Full Version : Dry Nitrogen

confedman75
11-25-2002, 11:34 PM
has any one ever shot this? its just 100% nitrogen that has been filtered a couple times to get the crap and liquid(hence "DRY") out of it. The nitrogen you guys shoot is normall cheap nitrogen. Some one should do a test like put 10,000 shots through a gun with dry nitrogen and the same to a differant gun but same model with normal nitrogen and check it for wear. also i was wondering it wouldnt make paint shoot better would it?

MasterYoda
11-26-2002, 08:38 AM
I don't believe that I have ever used N2 only in my gun. I have always used compressed air, which is mostly N2 anyway, but not completely. The feilds that I play at have compressors designed for SCUBA systems. These compressors must have filters to minimize impurities in the air. I figure that if this air is good enough for me to breathe, then it is good enough for my markers to breathe as well.

confedman75
12-11-2002, 07:14 PM
well air has alot of other things in it other than nitro and oxy and i wonder if those can be bad?

halB
12-11-2002, 09:36 PM
i really fail to see what they could filter out of the nitrogen several times that they couldnt get out once. if you want truly clean air just get ur tank filled up at a dive shop, the air is required to be clean and nothing but air, it cant have oil, liquid, or anything.

MasterYoda
12-11-2002, 10:10 PM
I would think that when the gun is fired there would be some condensation by water in the atmosphere due to the increase in pressure. So it probably wouldn't make a difference if there are trace amounts of water in the gas or not.

Wat
12-16-2002, 02:12 AM
Most of the impurities you will get are petrochemical based lubes from the valves, compressor and what not. Generally won't find water impurities because at high pressures it can start to corrode the tanks very quickly.

As for using pure nitrogen versus compressed ambiant air, it doesn't really matter what gas we're shooting as long as they are behaving under the ideal gas law, which in paintball cases they are. In air, other than N2 and O2 which comprise around 98% of the gas, you have probably some CO2, argon and what not. ACtually..here's the list

http://mistupid.com/chemistry/aircomp.htm

The other random gases won't make a difference. Someone farting in the vicinity will probably make a bigger impact on your paintball trajectory than 0.07 ozone molecules per million.

Best air to get is from scuba shops. Divers breath these things at several times atmospheric air temperature. A little bit of petrochemicals in it and a diver will get very sick very fast.

The difference in trying to get a "cleaner" gas will be immeasurable. However, the cost will most certainly be noticable.