View Full Version : Dibs on jersey numbers?

nippinout
11-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Calling dibs on jersey numbers?

What the heck? If you're getting a custom $65 jersey, you should pick whatever the heck you want to go on it.

And calling it official? Is it really official? Did AGD or the mods deem it so?

Jebus, I've never been so irritated on this forum before on such a petty matter.

Combinations of a maximum of three digits gives us a possibility of 1110 combinations (is my math right?). I don't know if everyone on AO will get one, but there are more than we have numbers. A post to reserve your number or be known as the first with that number seems so childish.

The only numbers I see being reserved is maybe 314159 (which is more than three digits) or TK's, because it is HIS company.

synreal
11-26-2002, 01:56 PM
000-999 = 1000 combinations, but yeah i agree, it is kinda ridiculous.

on a related note, why do i have to be mister pink?

shartley
11-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by nippinout
Calling dibs on jersey numbers?

What the heck? If you're getting a custom $65 jersey, you should pick whatever the heck you want to go on it.

And calling it official? Is it really official? Did AGD or the mods deem it so?

Jebus, I've never been so irritated on this forum before on such a petty matter.

Combinations of a maximum of three digits gives us a possibility of 1110 combinations (is my math right?). I don't know if everyone on AO will get one, but there are more than we have numbers. A post to reserve your number or be known as the first with that number seems so childish.

The only numbers I see being reserved is maybe 314159 (which is more than three digits) or TK's, because it is HIS company.
First of all... it has already been given Tom's blessing and he only needs to finalize the designs. So YES it is an official AO Jersey. ;)

I do however agree that since each person is paying for it, they should be able to pick any number they want. If more than one person has the same number, big deal. Personally.... I don't even WANT a number. :D

As for everything else.... give me a break, those other threads about numbers and stuff are in good humor. Noone is getting upset over it at all from what I have seen....well noone but you. ;)

Relax... ;)

nippinout
11-26-2002, 02:03 PM
I was asking if the THREAD was official.

There are people who have posted in the thread that wanted a number that was taken.

lopxtc wanted 420, but someone else called it.

Why should anyone have to be discouraged from choosing a number. Humor or not, the post just seems like it would discourage people from choosing the number they wanted.

No one likes sloppy seconds, so why pick leftover numbers?

shartley
11-26-2002, 02:05 PM
I was asking if the THREAD was official.

There are people who have posted in the thread that wanted a number that was taken.

lopxtc wanted 420, but someone else called it.

Why should anyone have to be discouraged from choosing a number. Humor or not, the post just seems like it would discourage people from choosing the number they wanted.

No one likes sloppy seconds, so why pick leftover numbers?
Okay, I understand what you are saying..... but if you want to make a point try doing so with "like" examples.

Sloppy seconds means you are taking what someone else has ALREADY taken.

Taking something that is "left over" means it has not even been used yet.

;)

By your own words then, those threads would be a GOOD thing since "no one likes sloppy seconds". :D

shartley
11-26-2002, 02:09 PM
Oh... and about threads being "official"..... I don't recall the other "official" threads that we see on AO having to be made by, blessed by, or whatever, by either a Mod or AGD. Some things just ARE by virtue of them being considered so by the general membership….

nippinout
11-26-2002, 02:10 PM
Well shoot me in the face.

I never liked semantics. :)

I can't really think of another analogy. For some reason sloppy seconds just popped up. It sure seemed logical in my head.

LittMag
11-26-2002, 02:12 PM
I think, after some debate with myself, that it's a cool idea that everyone could possibly have their own number. I'm sure there are gonna be many dupicates... hell there already are. It really doesn't matter, if you want a specific number, take it, else find a number that doesn't offend you and one that isn't taken.

-Litt

nippinout
11-26-2002, 02:18 PM
shartley,

When a post like the jersey numbers have an *official* tag on it, gives the sense of it being official end all be all.

For an Official jersey number post, it certainly would discourage people from taking the number they wanted if it is already taken.

If I were to take a number, it would be 'officially' mine. But, if someone wanted to take my number they would be discouraged to do so because I have the official dibs on it.

It may not say 'NO! Rules are you can't take numbers that are reserved,' but it has that vibe.

Do you see what I am trying to convey?

Shouldn't we shown some restraint on AO for deeming a post official?

shartley
11-26-2002, 02:25 PM
shartley,

When a post like the jersey numbers have an *official* tag on it, gives the sense of it being official end all be all.

For an Official jersey number post, it certainly would discourage people from taking the number they wanted if it is already taken.

If I were to take a number, it would be 'officially' mine. But, if someone wanted to take my number they would be discouraged to do so because I have the official dibs on it.

It may not say 'NO! Rules are you can't take numbers that are reserved,' but it has that vibe.

Shouldn't we shown some restraint on AO for deeming a post official?
I see what you are saying.... but I just think you are making WAY too much about such a silly thing.

If someone wants to complain that someone else took "their" number, I say they are pretty childish. And I have not seen any fist fights or verbal attacks yet on this matter anyway. From what I can see, the only person thus far getting even slightly upset about it, is you. I will go back and read all those threads again to make sure this is actually the case. ;)

(ADDED: I just went through the entire thread…. Nope… seems that noone is ready to kill anyone yet. No fights. No arguments. ;))

Jonno06
11-26-2002, 02:36 PM
i was gone for 2 days,and I come back and its on its 2nd page..and its obvious someone picked my number,but who cares?

i am getting 06 anyway...

synreal
11-26-2002, 02:42 PM
sorry jonno, but i hereby claim all multiples of 3 for jamestopia. any persons wishing to use any of said numbers may lease them from me.

have a problem with that? too bad, the sovereign nation of jamestopia claims eminent domain over the aformentioned numeral based symbols. ;)

shartley
11-26-2002, 02:46 PM
I put dibs on NO numbers! Noone can have a jersey that has NO numbers on it. ;)

Potatoboy
11-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by synreal
on a related note, why do i have to be mister pink?

Because we can't have 1000 Mr. Blacks running around. ;)

synreal
11-26-2002, 02:48 PM
terribly sorry sam, but 3 x NULL = NULL, gonna have to pay for that one :p

tato-
how about i be mr purple?

Fred
11-26-2002, 04:33 PM
isn't mr. purple another guy on another job???

(or did I just totally butcher that... its been a while since I watched that totally bad@$$ movie...)

synreal
11-26-2002, 04:35 PM
<font size="1">Mr. Pink: How about I be Mr. Purple?
Joe: No, You can't be Mr. Purple.
Mr. Pink: Why not?
Joe: Someone on another job is Mr. Purple!
Mr. White: Who cares what your name is?
Mr. Pink: Oh yeah that's easy for you to say you've got a cool sounding name. How about we trade, OK? You're Mr. Pink.</font>

covadsucks
11-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Thank you Syn. But the best banter is from Mr White at the diner..."Toby Wong, Toby Wang...