PDA

View Full Version : Recommend to make addition to AutoMag Online

Steven
08-26-2001, 09:54 AM
As an owner of one of one of the larger UBB systems on the net, I would like to offer a suggestion to Tom and the moderators to think about.

There is a hack to the UBB code (hacks are the adding of functional options to your system) that is called Sticky Threads.

What does it do?
* When installed, this hack will add the ability (in the administrative options at the bottom of each thread) to "bump" a thread to the top of the forum display
either temporarily or permanently. It also adds the option of "de-bumping" or returning the thread to it's original position.

This would be a great asset in posting new rules or announcements and keeping them at the top instead of the needless bump up posts.

The hack is simple and involves modifying 4 files. If interested let me know and I will give you a hand in adding this function.

------------------
Lvl7 68 AutoMag SN - CF00810
Retro Valve
Air America - Armegeddon 4500/68ci
Dye Titanium 14" Boomstick

Miscue
08-26-2001, 10:01 AM
We're gonna end up replacing the whole darn thing, and we'll have all that cool stuff... someday.

------------------
"Don't mill your tank." - Miscue

Miscue's Profile (http://www.liquidmagma.com/automags/miscue.php)

shartley
08-26-2001, 10:24 AM
That's what I am talking about! Forget duct taping things... get the good stuff! http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif

This is good news to hear. I know I have had conversations with other AO members on this topic. Good to hear the changes are coming.

------------------
“The richest man is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.”

PyRo
08-26-2001, 01:20 PM
What were those comments on duct tape? Duct tape fixes everything, duct tape is your god, you take back those comments now, or face it wrath http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Steven
08-26-2001, 01:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Miscue:
We're gonna end up replacing the whole darn thing, and we'll have all that cool stuff... someday.

</font>

This would take all of 20 minutes to do. Besides InfoPop will be incorporating this and many other previous hacks in the very near future so why change platforms when your members are used to the look and feel of the current? Since this is a company site you probily wont loose people but I have seen other sites try new software for "neat features" and crumble not realizing why.

------------------
Retro Valve

AGD
08-26-2001, 04:50 PM
Our new Super Server came in last week and we will be setting it up with the new BBS soon. No more crashing during contests!

AGD

Steven
08-26-2001, 09:04 PM
I have 20 years experience running online systems/ISPs and work as a manager of a network engineer/administration department.

My UBB system running v5.42 (soon to be 5.47e) takes 5 million unique hits per month, 42,000+ registered users. I can not think this site is equaling that yet so would have to say it is an OS/Hardware issue and not a UBB limitation. Although they did acknowledge performance issues with v6.1 and server loading.

------------------
Retro Valve

FaSSt
08-26-2001, 11:55 PM
What are you replacing it with?