PDA

View Full Version : Dremels and Barrels

AllAmericanMag
11-27-2002, 10:49 PM
Hey, I'm interested in buying a Dremel basically just to try it out. I was wondering if they came with a good bit to use for cutting the slots on Mag barrel? And/Or for making those holes that the twist-lock systems locks in to.
Thanks!

Also, what's a good Dremel model to buy?

yeahthatsme
11-27-2002, 11:16 PM
if i were you i would buy a dremel multi-pro it has fully adjustable speed and comes in lots of packages. also, go to www.dremel.com for more info. also hobby lobby has a lot dremel stuff. i guess a diamond head bit would work with barrels but don't hold me to it.

benzy2
11-28-2002, 12:23 AM
dremels are a very fun tool to have. I mean it does almost anything you could think of. And if not you can buy an attachment that will let it do it. I find always haveing a dremel handy will let you do those crazy experiments that come out of nowhere. I would get it. Even if it doesnt carve the barrel there are tons of other uses for it.

Havoc_online
11-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Dremels are fun:)

Muzikman
11-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Dremels are fun...sure...but they are not a mill. My guess is that if you buy a dremel and think you are going to cut slots in your barrel for the twist lock, you are going to end up with a VERY ugly gash in your barrel and it's not going to work. Remeber, it's just a dremel, but a mill.

Mr. T!
11-28-2002, 10:07 PM
If you are going to mill a twist lock, make sure the barrel is in a vice. That way, you don't go all over the place.

damageinc54
11-29-2002, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Muzikman
Dremels are fun...sure...but they are not a mill. My guess is that if you buy a dremel and think you are going to cut slots in your barrel for the twist lock, you are going to end up with a VERY ugly gash in your barrel and it's not going to work. Remeber, it's just a dremel, not a mill.

I agree 100% with Muzikman. Once you spend the money on the dremel and cut up your barrel send it to me and I will show you how much money and frustration I could have saved you in the first place.

The Frymarker
11-29-2002, 12:06 PM
I agree with muzikman as well.

I have 2 dremmels one adjustable and the other 1 speed. I have just about every attachment you can buy for it. Diamond heads are used for wood, plastic, maybe a little engraving on metal if your lucky. However it can't replace a mill. Sometimes even with the tightest chuck I still get the attachment to spin out of it, if the material that I am dremmeling is hard.

Best leave the heavy duty stuff to a mill.

Kevmaster
11-29-2002, 04:39 PM
yeh, dremels are fun...there should be one in EVERY paintballers tool box....yeh....

anyways, dremels work wonders. i love mine. ive hacked my stingrays to bits with them...everything from milling the body to sanding the sear to polishing the hammer to milling the hammer :) lol!!

tons of fun those dremels

rhetor22
11-29-2002, 05:49 PM
the dremel is the stingray's best friend. The guy using the dremel usually isn't though.

I love em. Gotta have em. They do everything... except hammer.

bornl33t
11-29-2002, 08:48 PM
wallmart has a few dremels on special, but I'm not a fan of them. I burned up 2 and had enough, they are lacking in torgue and sufficient cooling. So I bought a black and decker RTX and that was all I needed to see I've been getting screwed. This thing rawks...

and these guys are right, use a mill for barrel slots. A dremel is like BASF. It's doesn't do alot of modifications, it's makes alot of bodifications better.

AllAmericanMag
11-30-2002, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I bought a Dremel yesterday and will probably start breaking things today. :D;)

Kevmaster
11-30-2002, 11:13 AM
good luck....be prepared to ruin your first object with the dremel...

yeahthatsme
11-30-2002, 01:39 PM
go to hobby lobby and get a bunch of pinewood plack thingies to mess up:D thats what i did, their cheap($1.50 for a good sized square) and are lots of fun to cut up.